first time out west, need equipment advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default first time out west, need equipment advice

Been riding for over 10 years and this will be my first time goin to colorado (breckinridge,vail). Always rode in vermont and was wondering if my 09 horrorscope will be good for the terrain in CO. or should I use my old 02 burton custom?
return2heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

when are you goin? im taking my brand spankin new sierrascope to vail monday-wednesday, ill give ya some feedback if youre goin later than that.
c_mack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sweet, I'm heading there in 2 weeks, looking forward to your feedback
Old 12-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you are wanting to do terrain you might look at bringing the custom along if you have the space.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

ok day 1 at vail is in the books. im freakin loving this sierrascope. i took it into some knee deep powder and it got the through it but its probably not the best option for that. i got into some steeper deeper powder and got burried but so did 2 of my buddies on burton customs so im not blaming the sierrascope for that, ive just never seen powder before and it owned me. the sierrascopce is kickin ass all over the rest of the mountain though. if you get in teh back bowls stick close to the groomers unless you are just goin for the pow. have a blast. make sure to hit up sandbar. a member here told me to try it and we have gone 2 nights in a row. its really good food, especially the BBQ.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Searching4pow

Hey bro If your coming out here to the west there are a couple things I would personally do. Once upon a time i lived on the East coast at sea level. I have been living in Breck since and love it !

1st- I would get your legs strong, Start running or something because a typical "gromer" run will be at least 1-2miles long or so... Not the 50 yards that i was use to on the EC.

2-CARDIO .. Do some cardio before you leave, at 12,000 Ft when you get buried in the POW you'r gonna feel like your heart is going to explode.. remember to be calm when you get buried.

3- the back Bowls get COLD .. Take some wind protection and Layer ..

4- Don't drink too much. You will get wasted very fast at 10K .. A couple years ago a guy from NJ came up got drunk and passed out a couple blocks from his condo outside and we found him in the spring. (no joke)

Hope that helps .. Colorado is a amazing place to ride. You can ride all day and not go over the same run. I spend at least 40-50 days a year at just breck and I still find great areas to snurf the pow.

*I know this is not gear advice, But this is some advice that I wish someone would have told me before my first season here*

Last edited by Searching4pow; 01-06-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

no youre wrong, thats great advice.

ok so im done with 3 days on the sierrascope, get it waxed first and get the nose and tail detuned. its MUCH better after those 2 things. i love this board!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching4pow View Post
Hey bro If your coming out here to the west there are a couple things I would personally do. Once upon a time i lived on the East coast at sea level. I have been living in Breck since and love it !

1st- I would get your legs strong, Start running or something because a typical "gromer" run will be at least 1-2miles long or so... Not the 50 yards that i was use to on the EC.

2-CARDIO .. Do some cardio before you leave, at 12,000 Ft when you get buried in the POW you'r gonna feel like your heart is going to explode.. remember to be calm when you get buried.

3- the back Bowls get COLD .. Take some wind protection and Layer ..

4- Don't drink too much. You will get wasted very fast at 10K .. A couple years ago a guy from NJ came up got drunk and passed out a couple blocks from his condo outside and we found him in the spring. (no joke)

Hope that helps .. Colorado is a amazing place to ride. You can ride all day and not go over the same run. I spend at least 40-50 days a year at just breck and I still find great areas to snurf the pow.

*I know this is not gear advice, But this is some advice that I wish someone would have told me before my first season here*
Just to add to this great advice. Drink a lot of water prior to and during your trip. Your body tends to dehydrate because of the higher altitude. Every time I travel to CO for snowboarding I get altitude sickness for the first day or two. Unfortunately my trips aren't long enough to plan on arriving in Denver, staying the night there and then continue to higher grounds the next day and slowly start getting use to the altitude change. I live at around 375 feet above sea level. It's only a 2 hour flight to Denver for me, but it's around a 9-10k feet above sea level when I reach my destination. The human body doesn't like the sudden change in the lack of oxygen.

I suggest doing a search on altitude sickness and learning how to prevent and recognize the symptoms.
ThugHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback! Cmack did you set your stance back on the sierrascope or stayed centered?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

hell no i stayed center, the binding angles were ducked out a little to 6/12 the whole trip. seriously have it waxed and the nose and tail detuned first, its a whole different board then. much easier to flick around and the wax will help you keep your speed up on the flat greens.