Looking for a new board for hardpack/freeride - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Looking for a new board for hardpack/freeride

Hey,

Im +10 years experience on board 6'1'' and 192lbs and I am looking for hardpack towards freeride board. I typically do 80% of hardpack and 20% of freeride. Alps only. For park and fun I have NS Proto already and I am happy with it. I want to take this new board and explore for the first time Canada and or Japan this season but will be doing resorts as well. All items up to 600-700$ are ok.

I am asking here as I do not have here much of testing opportunities and shops are stuffed with commercial brands like burton, ns, lib tech, salomon. Im not saying they are bad or so but just wonder if there is anything else or not commercial but quality stuff that fits my pref.

My struggle is, should I go for 1 or 2 boards, meaning, conventional freeride/hardpack board and something special surf shape for freeride enjoy it all the way (or maybe If I do not have experience on those give up for now, stay with one board and test some first).

Next question, do You think there is anything worth buying from this season (ie. wait until feb and get it with discount) or I can get previous season new or used board in decent price then.

My choice for the moment was PYL and NOW Recon on it or NS Ripsaw or JJ Flagship.

What do You think what would You recommend?
thanks a lot for any hint here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey there,

I'm pretty much in the same position as you, probably 30/70 ish freeride/groomers, I ended up going for a Jones Carbon Flagship and Burton Genesis X bindings. But here are some of the other boards I considered.

The regular flagship
Yes PYL
Rossi XV
T-Rice Gold member
Burton FA
Burton Skeleton Key
Burton Branch manager
Burton Gate keeper

Seeing as you mentioned you ride in the alps I assume you're from europe in which case I'd strongly advice you to buy the board through a UK retailer since the current exchange rates/board pricing allows you to safe quite a bit of money.
lukasls likes this.

Last edited by Chielsen; 11-20-2016 at 09:51 AM.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Two boards that caught my eye for go everywhere (never tried them but food for thought):

Dupraz D1
Donek Flux
lukasls likes this.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
+1 for Donek. You can get a totally custom board if you talk to Sean there- Custom width, length, sidecut, etc, etc.. and graphics.

I love CRC (i.e. the Ripsaw) for versatility, but If it's for hardpack only, I think Trad Camber might be the way to go.
lukasls likes this.

Last edited by deagol; 11-21-2016 at 10:04 AM.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 11:10 AM
The Swiss Miss

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Jones Flagship is our (hubby on Carbon, I on the regular) one quiver go to board for everything n everywhere.

We mainly ride in the Alps - freeriding - , but travelled to AK, CO, Japan, Svalbard with them; many different types of terrain and snow and the boards did very well. Not ideal in tight trees or flatish terrain, but in everything steep n deep they're awesome. Also for charging resort, be it icy or soft, they're big fun.

If you however loof for something playful or to ride trees, there are better suitable boards for that. If you like to ride fast, carve, and hit deep pow, the Flag is great.
lukasls likes this.

I really thought quicksand was going to be a much bigger issue in my life when I was little
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 05:02 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Arbor Steepwater is also another option if you are looking into big mountain boards.
lukasls likes this.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks for all the answers guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lad Stones View Post
Two boards that caught my eye for go everywhere (never tried them but food for thought):

Dupraz D1
Donek Flux
That Donek got my eye! thanks, will def look more into it! Sounds very exciting to set it up and customize in tech and graphics. What bindings You put on that board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Jones Flagship is our (hubby on Carbon, I on the regular) one quiver go to board for everything n everywhere.

We mainly ride in the Alps - freeriding - , but travelled to AK, CO, Japan, Svalbard with them; many different types of terrain and snow and the boards did very well. Not ideal in tight trees or flatish terrain, but in everything steep n deep they're awesome. Also for charging resort, be it icy or soft, they're big fun.
Ohh, Svalbard sounds epic! I think I may come back 2 You on some advice for my trip as well What bins You have on those flagships?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 View Post
Arbor Steepwater is also another option if you are looking into big mountain boards.
hmm, got a bit confused with one review of that board that it does not do well on uneven terrain, hmmm, need to look more into it but sounds like it hits my hotspot of hardpack/freeride board.

Seems like it goes down to Flagship, Donek Incline or Flux, PYL or Burton FA now.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 07:10 PM
Scorching the Slopes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Customization options available here which should suit...

www.priorsnow.com
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I just ordered the Burton Branch Manager but it was between that and the Flight Attendant. The FA is a solid all around board that can be a goto for just about anything! The Branch Manager is more of a compliment to my all mountain Rossi that I already have. I'd look hard into the FA or maybe even the Gatekeeper if you have bigger feet.
lukasls likes this.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 08:39 PM
The Swiss Miss

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasls View Post
What bins You have on those flagships?
Burton Diode / Burton Lexa
lukasls likes this.

I really thought quicksand was going to be a much bigger issue in my life when I was little

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode