A couple questions about the Burton X8 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A couple questions about the Burton X8

Well first of all let me say that I'm an intermediate rider. I don't do the park, I mainly deal with groomers due to the fact that powder isn't all TOO common where I'm at ( Northeastern Ohio ). And I was looking at a used 2008 Burton X8 160...

Believe me I've searched high and low for answers, and of course everyone has their own opinions on what this board is good for but my primary concerns are my size. I'm a bigger guy at about 240lbs and 6'1" with a size 10.5 boot. So my questions are:

a) Are my feet too big? I couldn't seem to find the waist width info on the 2008 160mm board, so will I be fine with my 10.5" boots? I'm guessing yes but I'd really like to make sure.

b) Am I too heavy for a board like this? I couldn't find any recommended info on that either. I'm just afraid the 160 might be too small?

c) Would this be a horrible choice of a board for just cruising on groomers? The reason I like this board is because it has the adjustability of the channel & ( from what I've read ) the feel of EST. I like anything that's new and different so this binding system caught my eye. I'd like to try something like this out. And I know alot of the new Burton boards use this system, but I don't really want to spend that much on a board...

Any input would be great before I end up picking up the board. Thanks in advance for the help!
ahfunaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ok a few things.

I ride the X8 in NEO myself (BM/BW resort?). I'm 5 foot 9, 150-155 pounds and I ride the 155 length. It is a soft board, not sloppy soft at all but expect some flex even with the 160. I wear a 9.5 boot, and it's fine, it is a bit wider than most boards, but it does not fit in a wide board category.

The waist width from the previous year model 160 is 25.30cm. The X8 is specifically a park board, but I and others can attest that it holds an edge very well. In your case I think I'd go with a stiffer board due to your weight. It is a hell of a lot of fun to ride, especially with EST bindings, but I'm just concerned about flex vs. weight.

What is your budget on a board?
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yep, I would primarily ride at BM/BW, Peek'n Peak, and sometimes Holiday Valley...

I would say my budget with board and bindings would idealy be under $450. I already have boots so I won't need those. I can pick up that 2008 X8 for like $400 with bindings so that's why I'm wanting to go with it since I doubt I'll find many Burton boards with the channel and EST bindings in my price range...

And do you have the 2008 model? Because from what I've read the 2008 is actually stiffer than the 09 and so on, I'm not sure how true that is though...
Old 01-02-2010, 01:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yep I'm running the 08 model (silver flake, not the green one, and btw the silver flake looks better in person than it does online). It really isn't as soft as people think it is, its soft but nothing crazy, not as the description of it says. Personally haven't rode the 09, although another member here has said its "not that soft" too. The way I look at it, the board is stiff enough to help me land if I land too far back, but I can still press it and butter it a bit.

Does the used board specifically come with the EST bindings? You can get a disk to work without the EST bindings but if you're really interest in ICS then make sure they are EST not standard burton bindings.

Yeah I ride mostly at Boston Mills myself, Brandywine is getting kinda blah for me. Any other questions about it feel free to ask.
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yep, it comes with the EST bindings. That's why I feel like it's a pretty good deal.

So overall you think I'd be ok with this board?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I kind of feel that you'll need a longer board. As stated the X8 is a soft flex park board and the thing will fold on you at higher speeds.

I'm riding a Custom X. It's a much stiffer board than the X8 and it's a 164W. I'm 215 lb's with size 11.5 feet.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

im 5'11 @ 160lbs and ride on an 08/09 X8 size 160. For my weight this board is fucking superb. I can shred the crap out of groomers, hardpack, hair-raising lines down black diamonds as well as have fun on green doing tricks and jumps etc etc.
If ur the same like me then the board is totally for you...dont listen to all the rest of the capita and NS gurus once they put their .02 cents in.

Going back to your question... i wear a 10.5 boot and i have plenty of room on the board so u should def be alright.

Since u weigh a wopping 240lbs a 160 "might be too small for you especially if ur gonna take it out on high speeds IMO. I really dont know if the X8 comes in a 163, but if u want it strictly for park then a 160 might be alright
Old 01-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well I appreciate everyones input, I actually ended up going with a Burton Custom 166. I think that's a much better choice for the type of riding I'll be doing. It ended up being a bit more than I wanted to spend but I think it'll pay off at the end...
Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Awesome choice dude, good size, well rounded, versatile board. If it's got the ICS channel on it, spend the extra cash for EST bindings. Huge difference and worth the money
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks. And yea, when buying a board I knew I wanted to get one with ICS from the start so that's why I was interested in the X8 and everything since it had it.

So the Custom does have the Channel and I picked up EST bindings for it. I can't wait to try it out...