Board Selection (will try to be detailed) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board Selection (will try to be detailed)

Hey guys.

I am looking to buy a full setup but for now i will just worry about the deck.

Weight = 170-175ish
Height = 6'1"
Boot = 11.5
Price = 350 to 500 USD

I am in the lower-intermediate range but i'd like to think i am a fast learner.

My riding of choice is in any glade areas, or anywhere else with powder where i get to pick my own lines through and off of natural terrain. At the moment i am frankly not good enough to worry too much about tricks outside of simple grabs, but i would certainly like to get into spins etc. I definitely like airs and drops off of natural terrain and hope to progress in that area.

Although that is my desired riding i live in Australia and although i hope to do most boarding in Japan and NZ i might do the odd spot in some seriously average conditions, so something that is comfortable at high speeds on groomers and in fairly choppy and icy conditions would be good, definitely not a board with a reputation for chatter at high speeds/in shitty conditions.

Although i don't really intend to do anything in the park at the moment i imagine once i improve i will probably want to dabble in it a bit, so a board that is at least plausible in the park, be it a little unsuitable, would be ideal.

I am pretty confused at the moment, so many "freestyle" categorised boards seem to get recommended as all mountain/freeride boards so i am not sure if i should be leaning towards the flexier freestyle/all mountain route or something a little stiffer and categorised as a specific freeride board. I am also unfamiliar with how wide a board i will need at my size, so any advice on specifics in that area would be much appreciated.

A few random boards that i have been looking at, but am no way restricting myself to:

NS Premier F1-R
NS SL-R
NS Legacy-R
Capita Indoor Survival FK
Capita Black Death Inc.
Bataleon Goliath
Ride DH2

Any help would be much appreciated.
konaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Board selection

I've got a great link on my site with serious info on board sizing: Snowboarding Japan: What size snowboard should I ride?

I've ridden a NS Summit and a Lib Tech Travis Rice in Japan and Colorado. I don't ride park but my friends who've borrowed the Lib Tech love it there. The Summit owns powder.
bryantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think you would be happy and progress on any of those boards you mentioned. I love my Lib Tech dark series and will definetly buy another. NS is a really good company too. It's kind of a tough call if you should get a wide board tho, depending on your boots and bindings you might be able to get away with little or no heel/toe drag. The dark series has those risers under your feet too so it would help that much more with drag. Seeing how you like glades a wide board might feel too sluggish, but I suppose thats better than major heel and toe drag.

@ bryantp: Sweet sizing calculator, bookmarked.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

156-158 in size, you probably wont need a wide board.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
156-158 in size, you probably wont need a wide board.
Did you look at his boot size? In my experience that's what determines your boards width. They say 11 and up should go wide, but I say only go wide if you absolutely have to.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't own a pair of boots yet, last time i rented i wore size 11s. My actual shoe size is between 11.5 and 12 US sizing depending on the shoe.

So i am thinking if i get a boot with a smaller profile like the Salomon Fusion's or something i might not have to buy a full wide board. Would size 11s on a board with a 255 waist be cutting it a little too fine? Was thinking of the 156 Sierrascope.

Cheers.
konaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Smaller profile boots and bindings with gas pedals and I think you will be fine.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hmm, tricky with the foot thing and a wide board.

Libtech Banana at 159 would be my suggestion good sir

2011 edit thingy. Peep it, there are backflips. http://vimeo.com/28588117
xxfinnellxx is offline   Reply With Quote