Help a new snowboarder please - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
357Wheelgunner

Default Help a new snowboarder please *Updated*

Sorry guys, I can see that this forum is full of these posts...But I have some questions that I couldn't answer by searching.

I'm an old skiier, did it for 10 years or more (currently 25 so still in good shape) and was pretty good. I had to quit for a few years when I was living in the snowless south, but I'm back up North now and I'm going to spend quite a bit of time on the hills this year. I decided to buy a snowboard and learn to ride properly, I don't feel like beating the hell out of my knees anymore on skiis.

I ordered a K2 Select Wide 165, with K2 Indy bindings. I paid $399 shipped, how did I do? My friend told me to get a quality board, probably wide because I wear a size 12.5 shoe, and at least 160 in length. Did I get the right board? I'm 6' tall, 230lbs, wear a size 12.5 shoe, and plan on doing a lot of carving and riding, staying the hell out of moguls (spelling?), trees, and the park. I hurt myself plenty while skiing going off huge jumps and blazing through moguls and I just want to relax and ride.

I'm going to take a lesson the first day on the hill, and plan on spending a lot of time there this year. I have two weeks of vacation time that I'll spend snowboarding this year, I can't wait.

Oh...When I get this board, I'm assuming that I'll have to install the bindings myself. Any links to a guide foor doing this, or is it pretty straightforward? I'm pretty mechanically proficient, I do all of my own automotive maintenance and gunsmithing.

Also, what do you guys recomend for snow pants and boots? I'm clueless in this department, and money is an issue right now (but I'll pay whatever it takes to get the right gear the first time).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Last edited by 357Wheelgunner; 12-10-2007 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
357Wheelgunner

Sorry forgot to add:

Will a snowboard fit in the folded down passenger seat of a small car like a Toyota Corolla? I'm trying to avoid buying a roof rack!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

based on you heigth and size, it looks like you did good with dimensions. Newer riders make out much better on boards that flex a lot. Stiffer is for more advanced. I am not sure where you board falls into that specturm. If it is really stiff, you might have some issues for awhile. as for your knees, get ready for an all knew world of hurt when your learning. You may also want to consider some wrist guards. Broken / sprang / injuried wrists are among the most common injuries to new riders. as for bindings, I'll post a link to a really good article on stance, and the such when I can find the link.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Height has almost next to nothing to do with board size.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition
as for bindings, I'll post a link to a really good article on stance, and the such when I can find the link.
Ok, below is the link. This is a really good explination of stance (which will be how your going to posisition your bindings on the deck).

Everything about snowboard stance

As for what the previous post said about height not having much to do with board size, he is correct. The biggest facts are really weight, boot size, and the type of riding your going to be doing. This site has a good explination of it; The Snowboard Buying Guide at CJU.com

-The White Rose Society

Old 12-07-2007, 07:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf
Thats a great article...I am going to add that to the tips and trick section. Good stuff, thanks for sharing that...
No problem.

-The White Rose Society

Old 12-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
357Wheelgunner

Thanks for all of the advice guys! Hopefully my board will be here tomorrow, I'm going shopping for boots and pants, then I'll be off to 7 Springs (PA) on Sunday.

Anybody in the area feel like giving a n00b a few pointers at the hill? We've got pretty good snow this week but it's all supposed to melt early next week...
Old 12-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

As for gear...depending on how cold it is, there are two other things you might want:

(1) Under Armour Cold Gear (or something of the like)
(2) Fleece Pants

add those under your snowboard pants, and you'll be good to ride in really cold temps *all day*

As for pointers, hmm...there are instructors on here whom I'm sure could give you much better pointers than I ever I could. I'll defer.

-The White Rose Society

Old 12-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
357Wheelgunner

Alright, I got some Burton Moto boots, Dakine gloves, and Couloir pants, all on sale (bigtime, it all cost me > $200) to go with the board. I put it together today, the bindings were easy to install. I put the stomp pad on wrong at first, but it peeled off easily because I didn't mash down on it yet.

The board came a few days late, so I didn't get to go on Sunday, but it's looking like snow this weekend. I just hope all the rain Monday through Wednesday doesn't ruin the snow at 7 Springs in Pennsylvania, I have a 4 day weekend coming up and I'm planning on spending at least 3 days on the mountain.

Thanks for all of the advice guys!

Last edited by 357Wheelgunner; 12-10-2007 at 07:15 PM.