using heat gun to wax board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default using heat gun to wax board

Hi,

I just got a heat gun and I want to wax my board but I have a few questions on the procedure. I read that its bad to use base cleaner and its better to use cheap wax to clean instead. My board was last done at a shop (machine wax) but I see it needs a new coat now. Do I have to clean it or can I just crayon new wax on top, use heat gun to melt, use scotchbrite to bluff and then use a brush on it?

I remember before when crayoning the wax on my board and using an iron, I still see the need to scrape since the finish wasn't smooth. With the heat gun, I notice that it is not recommended to scrape since the layer is so thin. Is my listed procedure sound or am I missing something?

Thanks,
edwinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah ,use an iron

Heat gun seems scary on the base

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
m60g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would not use a heat gun for waxing. Hot air has low heat conduction capacity, and will rely on higher temperatures to heat the wax and base through. You risk glazing the base, and overall poor wax penetration compared to an iron
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The problem with a heat gun is two-fold. The heat gun temperatures get pretty hot and concentrate that heat in a very small area... neither of which you want for waxing a board.

The iron does a lot better job of :
-Warming up a larger area on the board
-Giving you better control of the heat temperature
-Physically pushing the wax into crevices in the board.
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinx View Post
Hi,

I just got a heat gun and I want to wax my board but I have a few questions on the procedure. I read that its bad to use base cleaner and its better to use cheap wax to clean instead. My board was last done at a shop (machine wax) but I see it needs a new coat now. Do I have to clean it or can I just crayon new wax on top, use heat gun to melt, use scotchbrite to bluff and then use a brush on it?

I remember before when crayoning the wax on my board and using an iron, I still see the need to scrape since the finish wasn't smooth. With the heat gun, I notice that it is not recommended to scrape since the layer is so thin. Is my listed procedure sound or am I missing something?

Thanks,
ok. I think its just best for you to get an iron, scraper, some cheap wax, and some "nice" wax (nice in your specifics). That heat gun thing sounds very very stupid and not promising. It is bad to use base cleaner because it not only removes the gunk out of your base, but your base aswel. Not healthy for your board.

Step 1 Hot scrape
-Use some cheap wax (prefibly not straight up parafin, but It might work. I havent tryed) drip it on and iron it nice and smooth and covered all over your board.
-Dont let it sit, just take your iron, i run it along your board again nice and smooth in straight lines. Each line with a tail of wet wax maybe 3 inches long.
-with that wet tail of wax...scrape the shit out of your board. Scraping the hot wax will lift all the crap wax, dirt, rail gunk, and rust out of your base and make it look brand spakining new.

Step 2 Wax
-Drip your "nice" wax on your board
-Iron out smooth with long strokes from nose to tail. Get everything. I run it twice just so the wax has more time to sink into my base. It makes it last longer
-Let it all sit at room temperature for at least a few hours. I wax when im not boarding and let it sit for a few days even.
-Scrape ALL of surface wax off. Tip to tail, never go cross grain of the board. it fucks your base up. Wax is only useful when it is used in combination with some base exposed to the snow. Theres a whole science behind it.
-Brush off with a brush (preferably bronze) to embed aditional grain into your board. The grain acts as control when flat basing

2011 edit thingy. Peep it, there are backflips. http://vimeo.com/28588117
xxfinnellxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You trying to melt your base? I use a heat gun to fix shit on bases not wax them, trust me it's not a good idea.