Capita Sierrascope > 2010 Never Summer SL-R - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Capita Sierrascope > 2010 Never Summer SL-R

Now that I have everyone's attention...

I finally got to go boarding last week and I took the SL-R, and conveniently had the Sierrascope delivered to my hotel. So the first day of riding was all SL-R and Flow teams. It did take some adjustments of my base plates to get my weight better centered over my board. Unfortunately there were five of us traveling in an H3, and we had to un-mount our bindings for the trip, and I just forgot exactly how mine were set up.

Day 2 I got to takeout the Sierrascope, I immediately noticed just how much easier this board was to ride. I was linking pretty tight turns no problem. This board had waaay more play. The only downside to this board was that the pow float was not there like it was in the SL-R. Keep in mind I am 5.9 185 lbs. riding the SL-R in a 155 and the Sierrascope in a 156. As much fun as I had on this board, yet again, I still had some wiggle between my high back and my boot.

I still need to bump into a flow expert, or take the time myself to properly configure my bindings to perfectly fit my boot...

So all you Noobs listen up! Buy a beginner board, a much softer board. Last year I purchased a Rider's choice MTX, and this year the NS SL-R. They severely crippled my learning and I would not recommend them to any noob like myself. If you get on the snow more then 10 days a year then you may be able to progress in to this board fine. But if you are new like me and only get 8 days or less a year, do yourself a favor and grab a noodle.

The Riders choice I think was advertised as like a 7 flex, so I should have seen that one comming, the SL-R on the other hand is only a 5 on their flex scale. I am going to go out on a limb and say that Never Summer's 5 is like a burton 9! My friends were riding burton boards( 09 Deuce and 09 Love) and those boards are soft,though rated that way by Burton... Actually, my cousin is 6 ft. tall and 130lbs, and rides that Deuce in a 159.

So, to sum up my feelings... I wish I had paid more attention to the advice on this forum and the rest of the Internets ( )and bought a more user friendly board to begin with. Not sure how much stiffer the Sierrascope is than the Horrorscope, but I feel great riding it, so I think it will be my board for awhile now.
The SL-R, for what I was able to use it for, was all-right. But it was just too stiff for me to use, maybe in a couple of years I can come back. Sadly, I don't progress any faster than that due to living 5 hours from the closest slopes and not being a millionaire.
matttehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

I will gladly, free of charge, safely store the SL-R in my apartment untill you are ready to ride it

Good advice tho for new riders.
Bkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Lol Bkeller, I figured someone would say that. I am looking at possibly selling the SL-R, because realistically I only need one board, and I should progress on one board. And the SL-R just seems years ahead of my skills right now.

I will be sad to see the R.C go though, even with the FK on the Capita. Maybe I can pickup a Circuit?
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the softness of the Circuit? NS's flex ratings are sort of a mystery.

I hear it is circuit-evo-sl in terms of softest to stiffest... But I am afraid that the circuit is still stiffer than my Sierrascope, and could be too stiff for me still? Surely not in a 155 @ 185 lbs. though right? Alas, maybe I should just give up with Never Summer for now and just love my Capita.

But, is it just me, or does the Capita Flatkick just not make a whole lot of sense? It really does ride well, and Noob friendly at that! But what does it bring to the table over regular camber? It seems like you are losing the pop of camber, and just gaining maybe slightly less edge catching capabilities?

Once again though, I just need to shut-up. I rode it and it was great, did not catch edges, made me look better. Who cares about anything else right...
Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I demo'd the SL-R last year and was no impressed. Really want to find a capita demo day.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

There is no doubt that softer boards are easier for newer riders, a stiff stick will hold you back.

That being said, my SL-R is the best board I have ever ridden, and I also love my Rider's Choice MTX.

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Different strokes for different folks I guess. With 10 or so days under my belt I moved to an SL-R last season from a more noodly Ride DH, and found the SL-R infinitely easier to ride. My riding immediately improved, and I found the SL-R to be extremely forgiving. I also ride a 155, at 5'11" 150 lbs, and it doesn't feel particularly stiff to me, though I admittedly don't have a huge basis for comparison, and no experience with any Capita boards.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

I should also point out that this trip was basically my 8th and 9th days snowboarding. However, last year I had ridiculous heel-lift that I didn't notice until the 3rd day, and basically wasted 3 days on the mountain riding solely heelside and "Feather-leafing" down the mountain. I know ridiculous!

So let's say this trip was more like my 7th day as far as normal progression goes...

But Bug, you have me wondering..
Since I have had so much trouble dialing my Flows in, if alot of my issues still remain in my bindings. I do not want to get rid of them, especially for park riding. I was in Ski Apache this last week, I would ride the park, step-out , walk back up, step-in and go. Whereas my buddies would have to do the complete strap and unstrap thing.

But I do not want to be limited by these bindings anymore, and if I do not have them fitting my boot like a glove and centered perfectly over my board, I am just moving to some traditional bindings. I am not going to waste any more time & money on top of the line gear I am either too stupid or too much of a Noob to ride.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Honestly at you 8th/9th day you should not be on your 3rd board. Changing equipment so much has definitely hindered your progress. You can't really truly feel the differences between how the board actually rides at your level yet. Of course a softer board will feel better because you are probably lazy turning etc. One board is a soft reverse camber true twin and the other is a stiffer setback rocker/camber...Apples to oranges! The Circuit is the softest NS then Evo then SL. The SL is still not even a stiff board. I learned and i'm sure most others learned on boards much stiffer and wayyyy shittier then a SL-R. Your feedback is good I just don't think the impression of the SL-R not being a good beginner board is the wrong one to give off! One thing not even discussed is damping. That's another area where the 2 boards are not really comparable!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Fluid I wish I loved the SL-R! Maybe I can give it another shot.

The reason I am on my third board is because this year I wanted to try out a couple of great boards, and I am truely glad I did! And last year I bought a Rider's choice that was falsely advertised as a BTX board, so I sold it, because it's not even what I intended to buy!

Like I mentioned above, I have had waaay too many issues with my equipment to have any sort of consistency. I blame most of this on the Flows. I have no Flow rep here in Lubbock Texas, so I am left to setup these bindings on my own. I will attempt to set these up to fit my boot like a glove, but if they do not, I am going traditional!

With all the heel-lift issues last year(that I have now corrected with SHL pads) and the seemingly unperfect fit(highback not on my whole boot, and a little too much play between my boot and the highback) this year, I really have a feeling that the Flows have limited me.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

The FK of Capita is definitely easier to ride. But I found my Ultrafear to be a bit more squirrelier to charge. The little bit of camber at the tips of my SL-R give me more confidence. Granted the purpose of my boards is different but the SL-R is my weapon of choice for all-mtn. So I wouldn't say that the Sierrascope > NS SL-R and definitely not at your skill level IMO.