To SLR or not to SLR - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default To SLR or not to SLR

Alrite, a lil history about my riding experience. This is my second year riding, went about 10 times last year and have already gone 6 this year. After my 4th time riding last year I got an 155cm 07/08 NS Heritage with flow NXT-AT bindings(I'm 5'7 and weight 155lbs). Picked this board cause I didn't plan on going into the park but now I'm starting to find myself wandering there and wondering if a shorter board would be better for me.

I can handle blues and black just fine and am trying to learn how to ride switch. I can do it on greens and easier blues but don't feel comfortable doing it at faster speeds. I consider myself a good rider, well that was until last weekend when I went boarding with a girl who worked at kirkwood for 2 seasons. This was her first time riding this season and she was borrowing a friends boots and another friends board/bindings since all her stuff is in New Zealand and China. I could keep up with her but I think if she had her own gear and it wasn't her first time boarding this season (she got tired quickly), she'd have no trouble leaving me behind. Later in the day we started doing tree runs which I never done before and I had a blast. I didn't really have any trouble in the trees. When she saw that I was going switch on the easier runs shes wanted to try riding switch too. My first 4 runs riding switch ever, I was catching edges and falling alot. Her first time trying to ride switch you could tell she wasn't comfortable but stayed on her board for the most part.

Now my original plan was to reward myself with a 151 SLR this off season if I could find one for ~300 and if I could learn how to ride switch at ~80% of my reg riding ability and if I learned how to land 3 new tricks consistently. I was also hoping to be able to demo one and figured waiting till the off season would give me at least 3 months for a demo to pop up in my area.

Now after reading some posts on this board, I'm wondering if I'll be able to find an SLR during the offseason and if I really need it? Compared to her I still have a long way to go. Also it would put my Heritage in a odd place cause it sounds like the SL-R is better in pow and on groomers. Heck, I haven't even had the heritage for a whole year.

On the other hand, there is an slr for sale now for ~300 and like I said earlier, I may not be able to find one later. However, its not like this is the only year RC tech is going to be around and if anything else its just going to get better.

But I'm also not sure if I want flows on a pow board. Undoing them in pow is quite difficult! (Is that the same with normal binding too? I've never been stuck in pow with reg bindings).

What do you guys think? To SLR (now or later) or not to SLR?

Thanks
JediMindGamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

These boards are very hard to come by in the off season.
matttehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

I vote that you keep progressing and enjoy riding. I'm sure there is plenty you can still learn on your current setup. No need to shell out the cash if you don't have to.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Personally i wouldnt...and i own a SL-R.

I only say this because you already have a Heritage. If your interested in a shorter park board just get a Circuit or Evo...then you have a powder board and a groomer/park board.

I love my SL-R as its my only board, but i dont think theres enough difference in the Heritage and SL-R if you want a park board...

But no, you wont find SL-R's in the offseason. As far as i know from local shops, the factory is sold out of SL-R's(and possibly all boards) for the season. So whatever is out there now is whats left.

Last edited by arsenic0; 01-05-2010 at 12:14 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions. I just got finished waxing my board myself for the first time (OMG so much f'ing scraping!)and towards the end I started gettin sentimental. I don't think I could just toss it aside for another board when theres still so much I can learn on it.
JediMindGamez is offline   Reply With Quote