Begginer Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Begginer Board

I was looking through some older post but could not find anything that has recomendation for good value beginer boards. I was hopping that some of you might have some sugestions. I am especially interested in good value beginners board for large shoes people. If some of you could give me any recomendation I would appreciate it. Thank you.
snajper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by snajper69 View Post
I was looking through some older post but could not find anything that has recomendation for good value beginer boards. I was hopping that some of you might have some sugestions. I am especially interested in good value beginners board for large shoes people. If some of you could give me any recomendation I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Welcome to the best sport on earth! We will all be stoked to help you out.

A bit more info is needed. Most importantly, what is your weight and your foot size. Next up, where will you ride (what area of the country/world)?
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Welcome to the best sport on earth! We will all be stoked to help you out.

A bit more info is needed. Most importantly, what is your weight and your foot size. Next up, where will you ride (what area of the country/world)?
Area: New England, USA (mostly CT, Poconos)
Foot size: 12
Height 6.2
Weight: 210 lb working on dropping to about 195
Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by snajper69 View Post
Height 6.2
159-166cm wide is your suggested range. I would personally go with a 159-161cm wide with those measurements.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Height 6.2

OK, so Ice Coast it is. First thing you need is some hip padding for those first 3 days ( JK).

Tons of great options out there for you. As you are a new rider with no specific style as of yet, the best value for you will to be to stick with high quality new gear from last season.

I am sure you will get many other great suggestions here, but I will start it off with a package that we carry:

O-Matic Boron 156 Wide (this model is perfect for size 12 and is stiffer in the 156 wide size than O-matic states and riders are loving it up to 230 lbs in East Coast conditions),
Option Cobalt bindings (Large is ideal for the boots below)
Morrow Kick BOA boots (size 12)

$299.00 complete. Includes free shipping to you on the East Coast. We will package it with love.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'd go a little higher than a 156 honestly. 156 for him would be a great park board, but not so great for general snowboarding. Sell him a 158 wide if you got it.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I'd go a little higher than a 156 honestly. 156 for him would be a great park board, but not so great for general snowboarding. Sell him a 158 wide if you got it.
Thanks Leo,

I am Snajper69's size (but with size 13 feet) and this suggestion comes first hand. This 156 Wide actually measures 122 cm of effective and it has a very planted edge. This is one of the reasons we go on and on about not buying a board by tip to tail length. It is a sure way to make errors. If our new rider had a pref for pure freeride, we would have another suggestion, but I know that this will be a great launching pad into the sport and will allow him to check out everything from pipe to pow without too much struggling.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

He's size 12

I know a 158 wide would support his feet just fine. I'm more worried about his weight for a 156. He can ride it, but I think he will benefit more from a board that is designed around his weight. 156 is usually designed for max of 170ish weight. Of course, style will totally nullify the weight ranges. If he becomes a powder junky, a 156 won't be a good board. This is why I am suggesting a better length for his weight since his style is undetermined. A 158 wide will be just fine for powder and freestyle. A 156 will be a great for freestyle, but will burn the hell out of his leg in powder.

Actually, I think you already determined he won't be riding powder right? Well, to each their own. Get on that board and ride
Old 01-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
He's size 12

I know a 158 wide would support his feet just fine. I'm more worried about his weight for a 156. He can ride it, but I think he will benefit more from a board that is designed around his weight. 156 is usually designed for max of 170ish weight. Of course, style will totally nullify the weight ranges. If he becomes a powder junky, a 156 won't be a good board. This is why I am suggesting a better length for his weight since his style is undetermined. A 158 wide will be just fine for powder and freestyle. A 156 will be a great for freestyle, but will burn the hell out of his leg in powder.

Actually, I think you already determined he won't be riding powder right? Well, to each their own. Get on that board and ride
I don't remember when was the last time I seen powder here lol hahahaha

I had rented 164 and I 100% hated it. I used 159W and I think is just a better fit, but jurry is still out. I have shoes alraedy, which I found to support my leg quite nicely. My wife got me Burton Canyon 159W for cheap but someone told me it might be too stiff for a new rider. Any opinion on this? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
156 is usually designed for max of 170ish weight.
Hi Leo and thanks again for your comments,

No, that is one of the misconceptions that makes buying difficult. This 156 Wide for instance is manufacturer rated to 200, but as noted above, it is actually a great all mountain stiffness for heavier guys, even up to 230 lbs.

Here is a recent blog post on Flex that may shed some light:

The Boarder's Blog - Snowboard Flex, Feel, and Ride Ratings - Oh, No!

As always, we certainly do respect the wide variety of opinions that are out there on this stuff, but I can tell you that we put our full effort into the hundreds of board suggestions we make each day.

Happy riding!!!