Dealing with edges - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
somebodyelse5

Default Dealing with edges

Is there already a thread about sharpening/maintaining edges?

From researching online, i cant find a solid set of instructions.

does everyone just use a 90 degree from base angle?

Besides using the OBJ mtx tool, is everything done the same when sharpening magnetraction?

thanks guys. hoping to start building my skills! looks like i tore my miniscus on sat up at snowbowl. It was an MJ slide gone way wrong. So im lookin to set up shop in my dorm room and start waxin/sharpening boards/skis for people for a few bucks. gotta have something to do besides study!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...rd-repair.html

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
m60g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
somebodyelse5

what about bevels with mtx? should i just treat it like a regular edge?

ive been riding since i was 7, always just rode with a 0 degree bevel i think, should i try messing with my bevel on my all mountain board?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

almost all boards come with at least a 1 degree base bevel, even if its not stated. You should email the manufacturer to find out what your factory base bevel is before you decide to do anything
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
somebodyelse5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
almost all boards come with at least a 1 degree base bevel, even if its not stated. You should email the manufacturer to find out what your factory base bevel is before you decide to do anything
already shot Mervin an email a few days ago, just waiting on the response. I had just been assuming its been a 0 degree bevel.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

recently went to 88* and I'm loving it. Hold edge really well and I haven't even thought about catching an edge while riding flat.
cstrumol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
somebodyelse5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrumol View Post
recently went to 88* and I'm loving it. Hold edge really well and I haven't even thought about catching an edge while riding flat.
ok. I know my edge tool has a 90 and an 88 side. if i go with an 88 when sharpening what bevel do i need?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hit the side edge with the 88* then go with 1* for the base (which it probably already has. Gives you a 89* corner which holds hardpack and pipe walls really well. Think of it this way, side edge plus base bevel equals your corner. Smaller * corner the tighter you will hold on ice and hardpack (to an extent). The above has worked really well for me since I don't hit rails. Less of a corner will be sloppier on the trails but less likely to grab on a rail. depends on how you ride.

Last edited by cstrumol; 01-07-2010 at 09:52 AM.
cstrumol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrumol View Post
Hit the side edge with the 88* then go with 1* for the base (which it probably already has. Gives you a 89* corner which holds hardpack and pipe walls really well. Think of it this way, side edge plus base bevel equals your corner. Smaller * corner the tighter you will hold on ice and hardpack (to an extent). The above has worked really well for me since I don't hit rails. Less of a corner will be sloppier on the trails but less likely to grab on a rail. depends on how you ride.
i wouldn't recommend an 89 edge on an mtx board at all. 90 degrees is more than enough even then i would slightly detune
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
somebodyelse5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
i wouldn't recommend an 89 edge on an mtx board at all. 90 degrees is more than enough even then i would slightly detune
ok, I know i rarely sharpen my mtx. To be honest i havent sharpen my 07 Trice in about a year and a half. I realize now i need to do something to de burr and keep them smooth. But i dont wanna clean them up wihout sharpening. know what i mean?

Im gettin into doin my all my own tuning so i just wanna know whats up haha