newby question about new board technology - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
bobreb

Default newby question about new board technology

Okay, I have an ~8-year-old Arbor board - high end when I bought it. I've been wondering if board technology has come along as much as ski technology, and if I'd gain anything buying a new board.

I'm 51 and board intermediate level (yeah I know 8-years is a long time to remain intermediate -- I don't get out much). I don't go fast and I stay out of the park. If a new board would help with tight turns, to help me deal with bumps and trees, that would be great thing.

Stay with the old Arbor? Buy a new board? Get out in the snow, develop skills, and worry about the board later? Recommendations?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A nťw stick could be beneficial for sure. What kind of riding do you prefer, just cruising groomers, riding trees, powder, small jumps?

I know I love my Capita Black Death for most things non park associated. It's not to stiff, not to soft, and it's super light and stable at any speed.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
bobreb

Thanks.

I ride powder when I can get it -- not too often; groomed trails most of the time; bumps when I have to. But I would like to chase my kids into the trees.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't see why a Black Death wouldn't do all of that for you.... It's lightweight which is good for the trees, handles great on groomers with or without a bunch of crud on em, and has a sintered base so your kids won't be faster then you!

Black Death Inc. Snowboard | CAPiTA Super Corporation

But it thru Backcountry.com: The North Face, Mountain Hardwear and Arc'teryx Skiing, Camping, Hiking and Backpacking Gear and have a lifetime warranty. You weight will determine the size you need... If you liked the length of your Arbor, you may just stay with that.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
cvshreds

buy my board. a new k2 believer 159. a great all mountain board. top of the line board retail $450 selling it for $250
New K2 159 Believer - eBay (item 170427717150 end time Jan-08-10 17:40:07 PST)
Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

technology has come a long way over the last years with most of the advances in the last couple years. I am speaking of rocker/reverse camber/banana, etc, etc. This is a new design to boards that pretty much every single company is employing. your board will have camber, meaning that it when the board is on the ground and unweighted the middle is off the floor. The new style of boards would have some variation of the board being flat in the middle and slowly rising up toward the tip and tail. some include an additional spot of camber towards the tip and tail, some are flat through the whole board.

This is not for everyone, some people would be better served to be on a regular cambered board. I just jumped on a Never Summer RC board and I love it. I am definitely sold on reverse camber for certain uses. do some searches on the boards here and check out Snowboard, Snowboards, Burton Snowboards, Burton Bindings, Burton Boots, and snowboard reviews - Free Shipping - US Orders Over $100 for a full explanation of each companies line-up. I would actually recommend the K2 Slayblade for tight turns and trees. That is the beefed up more all mountain version of the K2 Believer listed above.

Good luck
tekniq33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

The newer tech like the revs camber is super fun to ride . you should try to demo one . or at least a new model of something . just my 2 cents

The Jib Crib - THE WORLD'S BEST INDOOR SNOWBOARD RACK - Home

LIVING 2 KILL IT
Mountainmenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

getting a new board could really change your perspective on snowboarding. i used to hate it, i was riding a board that was way to big that my parents had got for me. i had trouble turning as fast as my friends, and it was hard to do stuff in the park. after a while i decided to try demoing boards, and it rekindled a passion for the sport, now a ride a board that is perfect for me and i couldn't be happier. i think what you should do is try demoing some differnt brands with different technologies and sizes and see what makes you enjoy riding. who knows maybe you got lucky and your arbor is perfect for you, but snowboarding has deffinetly changed a lot recently and it can be confussing, so just experiment next time you go up
jtchompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Resident poet

Keep the arbor if it works for pow and groomers. I'm also 51 and recently got a short 153 twin with magnetraction its alot of fun for groomer days...gotten fairly good riding switch this season and its nimble in the trees and for adventure trail riding...consider getting something like a skate banana or park pickle...a twin rockered with magnetraction...twin for switch, rockered for moving it around and medium pow days and mag for icy and packed groomers. Also picked up a 162 tapered regular cambered poo stick and it works great for the deeper days. Its never too late to start the quiver....for opening day this season brought up 4 boards and rode 3 of them.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
bobreb

Default thanks

Yeah, I think it's time to go for a new board. I really appreciate the input -- really helped.