Ever seen that clear board before? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
crazer

Default Ever seen that clear board before?

There's a small company called Makboard, and it seems the only product they have is a clear snowboard. Apparently it's made from a similar material to what's found in fighter jet canopies. According to the information on their website (which is biased, admittedly) it's the "ultimate powder stick" because of its flexibility, and they also claim it can hold an edge similar to steel. However they do say that you shouldn't use hot wax on the board, so it seems like it can't hold wax like a sintered or graphite base would. So I wonder if it has a speed similar to an extruded base.

I'm not actually interested in purchasing one, I'm just curious to know what people think about them, is it something unique and original, or just a gimmick? Does anyone have any first-hand experience with one?

Here's a link to the website, if you've never seen them before: http://www.makboard.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've seen variations on this design for years. It works. That's about all I can say about it.

I'm sticking with metal edges and ptex myself...

Last edited by killclimbz; 01-06-2010 at 02:54 PM.
killclimbz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Saw this in a magazine a while back. I would like to try one, but a $300 price tag is just
Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

This is the first time I've seen it. Looks really interesting, but without people widely being able to demo one...doubt it'll catch on.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
somebodyelse5

anybody wakeboard on here? Hyperlite use to make Scott Byerlys sig board that had the same flow through design except it was on the sides rather than in the center. Im not sure if i trust this board. The "clear" part is pretty cool but who would buy one just for that?

reading through the features the first thing that caught my eye was the part about the holes, idk about you guys but when im riding powder straight i feel stable.... its a cool idea but i dont see it working as well on powder as it would with water (like on a wakeboard)

theyr special material, im almost positive, is just plexi glass.... You guys ever heard of FLEXDEX skateboards?? they have the same principle of flexiness and they are clear.

idk guys, its a cool idea and im glad people are trying to push and progress our sport. But i think imcorporating the holes, and their clear material into a segmented core base (clear in strips or something) and use the already proven performance of a UHME sintered base would be really slick!

If you want the "ultimate" powder stick why not buy T.rices Banana Hammock?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Novak Snurfboard LLC - You now have the freedom to surf the snow hassle free at last.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelse5 View Post
reading through the features the first thing that caught my eye was the part about the holes, idk about you guys but when im riding powder straight i feel stable.... its a cool idea but i dont see it working as well on powder as it would with water (like on a wakeboard)
I just see the edge of those holes catching on things you unavoidably cruise over sometimes, like exposed twigs/rocks, iceballs, etc... and totally throwing you on your ass/face.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If I had the extra cash laying around I would give it a try. It seems like it would work but might be a bit flexy. I also think the edges would dull very easily.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

It's lexan or a similar high density polyethylene. One size, no color options, and one model. Don't see that taking off in popularity. They say you should use rub-on wax though. Hot waxing would probably distort the material form, darken it, and make it brittle.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crayon

That sounds like the beginning to an epicly bad end