buy now or later? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default buy now or later?

hey,

i saw a 2010 board today i really liked, and im nowhere near good enough to buy it or spend the money on it, but i want it for next season.

what are the chances of getting a new 2010 board at the end of the season? would it be easy to find online?
Korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

what board
avenged1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

burton love 152
Korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Really easy to find online (sierra, dogfunk, ebay). I'd wait, yeah, hypocritical because I'm riding a 2010. But you'll save a shitload on the board and the bindings if you buy during the summer. Especially if you aren't that good, you'll want a slightly shorter board to start out on because it'll be easier to control, and you don't want to knowingly spend that much money on a board that's too small. You also beat the piss out of it.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
DenBank

just buy it in a summer, anyways it is your first board.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Does a cheaper board handle better than a more expensive board? Does the cheaper board make the rider better?
bassholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
rpanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassholic View Post
Does a cheaper board handle better than a more expensive board? Does the cheaper board make the rider better?
A more expensive board usually has more technology that advanced riders will appreciate that beginners will not feel. This includes a faster base, stiffer flex pattern, overall balance, etc.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Do these technologies hamper a beginners progression or are you mentioning this from a financial stand point?
bassholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
rpanga

I dont think it does personally. Progression is up to the riders capabilities. If the rider really wants to learn and push it, then they will advance quickly. There's people out there that are hopeless though... People always advice to get a cheap board that is shorter so you can learn turns. But, what if you perfect your turns after two days out, and you start getting comfortable? My opinion is that if a beginner is going to get a board, get a better board than a cheap, low end beginner board. I don't mean the top of the line equip, but get something mid-level. These are usually in the $300-400 range. Theres no need to buy a cheap beginner board, and then get a better more expensive board later.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassholic View Post
Do these technologies hamper a beginners progression or are you mentioning this from a financial stand point?
Learning to snowboard isn't a long process. In fact it took me 1 day. (mind you I do have a good background in skiing but still)

My first and current board is a Nitro Pantera and it's a friggin sick downhill mountain board. very rigid.

If you think you might run into trees 'n other ppl 'n stuff, than you might wanna go for a shitty used board. Cause you could chip your new board. (easily fixable though. Merely speaking from an aesthetics standpoint)

Don't cheap out on a crappy board because you think you're only a beginner. That phase will only last you a couple rides. You'll quickly progress and wish you had a better board.

Good luck!!

Last edited by fredericp64; 01-07-2010 at 11:59 AM.
fredericp64 is offline   Reply With Quote