Help! I think my board is too big - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help! I think my board is too big

Ok this is my 2nd season riding and I'm starting to feel like the board I got is too big. I bought my board online after going a couple times last year and basically just looked at the chart to figure out my size. I am 5'10 & 1/2 and I weigh about 190 with size 11.5 boots. My board is a gnu 158cm wide. Feels like it takes too much effort to steer it. I'm about to rent a board to see if it's just me. Any advice tho?
latemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by latemp View Post
Ok this is my 2nd season riding and I'm starting to feel like the board I got is too big. I bought my board online after going a couple times last year and basically just looked at the chart to figure out my size. I am 5'10 & 1/2 and I weigh about 190 with size 11.5 boots. My board is a gnu 158cm wide. Feels like it takes too much effort to steer it. I'm about to rent a board to see if it's just me. Any advice tho?
158 is a perfect length for you. The steering difficulty is probably coming from the fact that you are using a wide board. Generally, a wide board is not needed unless you have size 12 boots and up. You can use wides with your boot size, but you definitely want to go lower in length then. Like a 156 wide. A normal 158 would work well for you. I would sell that board and get one with a better size. Or you can just use that one for powder days or effin around. Try a normal 158 or 157. Should be great for you.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Is this your first wide board? Kind of sounds like you just need to get used to it. From the stats you given, it certain doesn't sounds like the board is too big.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
rpanga

158 is not that long.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The board is perfect for your weight and stats. What board is it and is this your first non-rental board?
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

It's not the length, it's the width that is affecting him. Depending on the width of the board, it might be too wide for his feet.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Fak...missed that.

[edit] Actually, with a 11.5 size boot and depending on the boot itself, using a wide isn't wrong. Granted the wide will be a little more difficult to steer, but if this is his first non-rental board, then it's just a matter of getting used to riding it.

Last edited by DC5R; 01-07-2010 at 12:47 PM.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a gnu 11 up wide. And yes it's my first nonrental. The guys at the resort were actually kind enough to let me borrow a board. The one they gave me was a 155 (closest size they had) regular. It was a little akward becuz the stance was so marrow and not adjustable, but it did feel easier to whip around. I think it's the width, cuz even tho the board they gave me was bout the same size it still didn't feel like I was tryin to turn a boat
latemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I just looked at the specs for that board. The width is 26.8cm which leaves you roughly a total of 1 inch over hang with your 11.5 boots. This means you have about half an inch overhang on both your toe and heel. Your stance will affect the overhang though. Sounds like it isn't too wide. You are on the borderline of wide vs normal. If you liked the 155 normal better, then go get a regular board. Try a 156 or 157. The GNU 11 UP is built specifically for well, size 11 and up lol.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
gnomeoresummer

Default size matters

Board length fine, dick too small.