My first snowboard :P - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
ethanxxx

Default My first snowboard :P

Hi!

OK so, I'm going to go snowboarding for the second time in my life on December and I'm going again on February, so I went online to rent the equipment and I saw that I was going to spend something like 1,045$ for renting the board with the bindings and the boots. Then I went online and checked the most expensive equipment and noticed that the most I can spend on getting the best equipment is something between 1,200-1,300$, so I figured it would be best to buy the snowboard instead of renting it. Besides, I really love the sport and I think I'll be doing it once a year.

I've done some research already and I think I know what I'm buying, but I want to be 100% sure that what I'm getting is the right thing. Now, I want an All-Around board, because last time I went I did mostly freeride, but I also did some rails and some jumps, but I don't want to buy a freestyle-only board because I also enjoy riding with my family and friends.

Info About me:

- Height: 1.78 m

- Weight: 63 Kg

- Boot Size: 10-11 (at least that's my sneaker size).

- As I said, I want an All-Around Board.

- I'm 16 years old, but I don't think my feet will get any bigger.

- Budget: A lot! Just... shoot :P

OK, so my questions are the following:

1.- Lenght of the Board. I was thinking something that is between my chin (1,54 m) and my mouth (1,58 m).

2.- Width of the Board. I have no idea here. I read an article that says that your toes and heels should be about 0.5-1cm outside of the board, but that just sounds weird. I also read that wide boards are not very confortable, so I'm not sure I want to get one. My foot is 26cm long from heel to toes, but I also think you have to take in mind the angle you are going to put your bindings on. Anyway, I need you guys to tell me :P

3.- I have in mind some boards and bindings, but I wanted to check with you guys first to see if I picked some good equipment or not, and to suggest me some brands I should check out too :P

- Custom X Wide

- Custom X

- Bindings

I think I'll buy the boots when I get to Vail, because I want to try them on instead of buying them over the internet.

That's all for now... I think :P

Last edited by ethanxxx; 12-07-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Weight, not height. And get fitted for boots first, then come back and look at boards/bindings.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
ethanxxx

Um.. that's not really an option. I live in Venezuela and there are no snowboarding shops here, so I want to buy the board and the bindings online and then I'll buy the boots when I get to vail this December.

I also added my weight.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

"1,045$ for renting the board with the bindings and the boots."

How is that possible?

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I dont think he means USD.
rrrtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
ethanxxx

Yes, I meant USD. I'm going to stay for 13 days the first time and then I'm going again for 10 more days. At a rate of 45$ a day plus tax and some other stuff, it's 1,045$.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
ethanxxx

No one has answered my question yet... I really need to know, so please, if someone can just answer the question I would be really graceful :P
Old 12-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Seriously, if you're going snowboarding for the second time in your life, the Custom X is definitely going to take you for a ride... Don't get me wrong, it's a great board (for a Burton), but if you want to progress faster, you should look into something that's a little more forgiving.
rick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanxxx
Yes, I meant USD. I'm going to stay for 13 days the first time and then I'm going again for 10 more days. At a rate of 45$ a day plus tax and some other stuff, it's 1,045$.
Wow...I hope you're in great shape. 13 days straight of riding? Nice!!! I'm jealous. Good luck.

As was mentioned...Burton X is a good board but if you've only gone twice I would stay with a more freeride specific board that will allow you to progress.
EC99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
ethanxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1
Don't get me wrong, it's a great board (for a Burton)
What do you mean by that? What's the best brand out there then? I've been told that burton is one of the best, that's why I went looking for some burton boards :P

Also... which board would you recommend me to get? I want an advanced board (taking that there are beginner, intermediate, advanced and expert boards) that's about 154cm long and 253mm wide.

Last time I went snowboarding I used an intermediate board at first and then I changed into an advanced one and it worked perfectly :P

I really need some serious help here! I have to buy it in less than 3-4 days!

Last edited by ethanxxx; 12-10-2007 at 04:14 AM.