How do you tell how flexible a board is? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
dmonking

Default How do you tell how flexible a board is?

Hello, I went snowboarding the first time in my life a few weeks ago, and I had an absolutely fantastic time. Though I was terrible at it, I couldn`t remember a time when I had so much fun (when I was actually sliding, that is )

So, anyways, I decided I want to buy a board.
I`m skinny (135-140lbs), Size 10.5 or 11 (changes depending on the shoe ) and tallish (6`2) so, after looking at a few guides, I found that around a 154 freeride flexible board should be right for me.

I went to wiredsport.com, to look for a board (because I found they`re really cheap for their package deals)but none of the descriptions seem to show how `soft` a board is.

And if it helps, these are the boards I`m looking at:
System Apex 2010 Snowboard - Men's Snowboards - Snowboards - Snow
Camp Seven Contact 2010 Snowboard - Men's Snowboards - Snowboards - Snow
Camp Seven Descent 2010 Snowboard - Men's Snowboards - Snowboards - Snow
Lamar Legend 2010 Snowboard - Men's Snowboards - Snowboards - Snow
LTD Fury 2008 Snowboard - Men's Snowboards - Snowboards - Snow
LTD Venom 2008 Snowboard - Men's Snowboards - Snowboards - Snow

So umm, yeah, a lot of choices. I'm pretty much going off by look, but I mean, you guys are the experts. And I'm not limiting myself to wiredsport, it just seems that they seem pretty cheap compared to... others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Wiredsports has been super cool on this site, so I'm saying what I'm about to say with the utmost of respect...

Those boards/packages are cheap for a reason. They're "off" brands

An excellent beginner all the way to pro board is the Capita Horrorscope which is really soft, or the Capita Indoor Survival which is a little bit stiffer, but still really soft. They're good boards because of the FK technology which is a style of reverse camber that elevates your contact points so catching an edge is more difficult to do. Reverse camber also pre shapes your board into the shape that it takes when carving, making it easier to carve.

I believe there's a Capita Sierrascope on here for sale right now that would work for you...

I'm 6'5"ish and 175-200lbs and I ride a 155w Horrorscope all over, until things get really choppy. Then I bust out my 162w Capita Black Death.

The Sierrascope was a big shorter I believe, but with your weight it would be perfect.... Use the search feature and buy the dam thing ( =
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
dmonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
Wiredsports has been super cool on this site, so I'm saying what I'm about to say with the utmost of respect...

Those boards/packages are cheap for a reason. They're "off" brands

An excellent beginner all the way to pro board is the Capita Horrorscope which is really soft, or the Capita Indoor Survival which is a little bit stiffer, but still really soft. They're good boards because of the FK technology which is a style of reverse camber that elevates your contact points so catching an edge is more difficult to do. Reverse camber also pre shapes your board into the shape that it takes when carving, making it easier to carve.

I believe there's a Capita Sierrascope on here for sale right now that would work for you...

I'm 6'5"ish and 175-200lbs and I ride a 155w Horrorscope all over, until things get really choppy. Then I bust out my 162w Capita Black Death.

The Sierrascope was a big shorter I believe, but with your weight it would be perfect.... Use the search feature and buy the dam thing ( =
Thing is, I'm still toddler when it comes to boarding, and, even though I like the first times, I might get less passionate about it later. So I'm trying to keep the price down... I'm trying to keep it around $300CDN (I'm Canadian by the way...he he..) for the board, bindings, and boots. Yeah... I know. I'm a cheapskate, but what can you do

So that's why wiresport appeals to me. I dont care about off-brands or dual-wood cores (whatever that means)

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it
Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Oh crap, ya we get canadians asking these questions fairly often.... Use the search feature and you may find some canadian stores. Gather yourself another list of boards around your price range and we can go from there.

And I have no clue what the flex on those boards you listed are, as they're not in any stores that I know of. You could ask wiresports though....

And don't trust flex meters... You gotta physically have the board in your hands and press on the middle of it to get an idea of it's flex.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote