gnu chb w/o magne useless? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
dingguhlbary

Default gnu chb w/o magne useless?

i only hear good things about the magnetraction on gnu boards. but could i be so bold as to say that their boards without magnetraction are almost useless? why wouldn't they put it into every board and just have one price?

the reason i'm asking is because i almost bought a 2009 chb for a great deal when i found out that it didn't have magnetraction. i ride new jersey ice so i thought maybe it was almost a necessity.

is the gnu chb without magnetraction bad? i mean the first chb's didn't have it and they were fine in the park and stuff right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wouldn't buy a Mervin board without MTX.... The only reason to get one is for the MTX imo because better boards exist, but MTX is a pretty specific thing.

If your not going to go with an MTX board, I would look into a FK Capita board. It handles very well also, but it's not going to grip as good as an MTX board.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
dingguhlbary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
I wouldn't buy a Mervin board without MTX.... The only reason to get one is for the MTX imo because better boards exist, but MTX is a pretty specific thing.

If your not going to go with an MTX board, I would look into a FK Capita board. It handles very well also, but it's not going to grip as good as an MTX board.
you say it handles well. do you mean that it deals with ice/hardpack well or that the it manages twists and turns well? because i ride mostly park being that we don't have beautiful mountains the carve the crap out of here in nj.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It handles well in general... I personally think the FK handles better then many regular cambered boards, and def many reverse cambered boards. I own a Horrorscope that's got the FK so that's all I have to judge by.

If your doing park and such out there, I wouldn't necessarily say you need MTX then.... A Capita Horrorscope, Sierrascope, or Ultrafear would be awesome for what you want to do.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if your riding east coast i would definitely go for a lib tech or gnu board with magnetraction. i ride in PA and whenever i got a lib tech trs with magnetraction i said i wasnt going back to anything without mtx unless it was a park specific board.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyface View Post
unless it was a park specific board.
Ya, that's why I offered something else... imo you can't beat MTX for straight up ice riding, but for a park board it kinda changes the game.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
dingguhlbary

Quote:
Ya, that's why I offered something else... imo you can't beat MTX for straight up ice riding, but for a park board it kinda changes the game.
so maybe i don't need it as much as i'd think?? since i'll hit and hike a good amount
Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If it's a park board more then a riding board, you def dont need MTX and in fact I think you would be better off without MTX for a park board.

You dont see the big rail riders rocking MTX. You see them on noodles like the Capita Horrorscope
Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
dingguhlbary

Quote:
If it's a park board more then a riding board, you def dont need MTX and in fact I think you would be better off without MTX for a park board.

You dont see the big rail riders rocking MTX. You see them on noodles like the Capita Horrorscope
weird. better off without it... i wonder if i had one with mtx i'd be a worse rider somehow in the park.
well this thread has been helpful. now i'm rethinking if i should just drop the coin for the chb w/o mtx and see what it's like in the east coast parks. hmmm
Old 01-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

How much is he wanting? Again you can find a board much better then the one you're looking at for fairly cheap, and brand new.

The Horrorscope is $350 new. Check out some reviews on it man, I'm not bsing you.

And I'm not park rider but to me MTX seems like it would give you a lot more chances at catching an edge then with a regular board. I could be wrong and the MTX may lock you in, but that's not my game so I don't know it that in depth.