gnu chb w/o magne useless? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:59 PM
dingguhlbary
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
gnu chb w/o magne useless?

i only hear good things about the magnetraction on gnu boards. but could i be so bold as to say that their boards without magnetraction are almost useless? why wouldn't they put it into every board and just have one price?

the reason i'm asking is because i almost bought a 2009 chb for a great deal when i found out that it didn't have magnetraction. i ride new jersey ice so i thought maybe it was almost a necessity.

is the gnu chb without magnetraction bad? i mean the first chb's didn't have it and they were fine in the park and stuff right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't buy a Mervin board without MTX.... The only reason to get one is for the MTX imo because better boards exist, but MTX is a pretty specific thing.

If your not going to go with an MTX board, I would look into a FK Capita board. It handles very well also, but it's not going to grip as good as an MTX board.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:23 PM
dingguhlbary
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
I wouldn't buy a Mervin board without MTX.... The only reason to get one is for the MTX imo because better boards exist, but MTX is a pretty specific thing.

If your not going to go with an MTX board, I would look into a FK Capita board. It handles very well also, but it's not going to grip as good as an MTX board.
you say it handles well. do you mean that it deals with ice/hardpack well or that the it manages twists and turns well? because i ride mostly park being that we don't have beautiful mountains the carve the crap out of here in nj.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It handles well in general... I personally think the FK handles better then many regular cambered boards, and def many reverse cambered boards. I own a Horrorscope that's got the FK so that's all I have to judge by.

If your doing park and such out there, I wouldn't necessarily say you need MTX then.... A Capita Horrorscope, Sierrascope, or Ultrafear would be awesome for what you want to do.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if your riding east coast i would definitely go for a lib tech or gnu board with magnetraction. i ride in PA and whenever i got a lib tech trs with magnetraction i said i wasnt going back to anything without mtx unless it was a park specific board.
crazyface is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyface View Post
unless it was a park specific board.
Ya, that's why I offered something else... imo you can't beat MTX for straight up ice riding, but for a park board it kinda changes the game.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:50 PM
dingguhlbary
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
Ya, that's why I offered something else... imo you can't beat MTX for straight up ice riding, but for a park board it kinda changes the game.
so maybe i don't need it as much as i'd think?? since i'll hit and hike a good amount
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it's a park board more then a riding board, you def dont need MTX and in fact I think you would be better off without MTX for a park board.

You dont see the big rail riders rocking MTX. You see them on noodles like the Capita Horrorscope

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:14 AM
dingguhlbary
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
If it's a park board more then a riding board, you def dont need MTX and in fact I think you would be better off without MTX for a park board.

You dont see the big rail riders rocking MTX. You see them on noodles like the Capita Horrorscope
weird. better off without it... i wonder if i had one with mtx i'd be a worse rider somehow in the park.
well this thread has been helpful. now i'm rethinking if i should just drop the coin for the chb w/o mtx and see what it's like in the east coast parks. hmmm
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much is he wanting? Again you can find a board much better then the one you're looking at for fairly cheap, and brand new.

The Horrorscope is $350 new. Check out some reviews on it man, I'm not bsing you.

And I'm not park rider but to me MTX seems like it would give you a lot more chances at catching an edge then with a regular board. I could be wrong and the MTX may lock you in, but that's not my game so I don't know it that in depth.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome