Beginner looking for recommendations - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sir Ringo

Default Beginner looking for recommendations

I realize there are loads of these threads, but it seems that every person's application is a little different, so I thought I'd solicit some suggestions for myself.

Skill level: Complete beginner, took a few lessons years ago but want to get into it more seriously now
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 170-175lbs
Boot size: Haven't yet purchased them, but I would imagine around a 10
Style: All-mountain...I doubt I'll ever go to a park or anything
Budget: $500-600 for everything, so looking around $300 for the board itself
Area: In WI for this season, might be on the east coast for next season

I'm definitely looking for something that's more beginner-friendly than a board I'll need to grow into skill-wise. If I need to buy a new board some years in the future, I'm not too concerned. That said, I do plan on riding very often this season and will be taking some more lessons, so something that'll last me just a little longer would be best. With these criteria in mind, what recommendations do people have for boards? Thanks much in advance.

Last edited by Sir Ringo; 01-08-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would at first, suggest a twin tip board. Why? Because chances all later on you'll want to sooner or later try for some air off a nole, a jump, or go to the park all together. This way you can eventually learn to ride switch.

As for board, well BurtonAvenger has a site The Angry Snowboarder that compiles an extensive list of reviews for gear and tech know-how which can be helpful. Just keep in mind the reviews are based of his preference and liking for gear. Some of them I agree with, while others I disagree. It's a starting point.

I would suggest a 156 board so you don't have one too tall nor too small but is within your weight range and can maneuver turns quick enough.

The brands, models, style (camber, rocker, etc) and the rest is up to you. Do a lot of research and don't rely on just one person's opinion before you buy.

Screw being normal
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Make sure you spend some time looking for the right boot. A great snowboard is rendered useless when your feet hurt too much to ride on it.

With that said, I recommend you get a 156 or a 157. Since you are a beginner, a slightly directional twin board will be great for you. True twins will also be really nice especially if you ever want to work on switch riding and doing more freestyle.

Remember, boots, board, then binding is the order you should research and buy.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sir Ringo

Thanks for the advice. I went to a couple shops today and tried out a few things - unfortunately it looks like the Ride Orion boots that seemed to fit so perfectly haven't been well-received, so it's back to step one with that.

*edit* Since I couldn't find any sort of consensus on what I needed, I went ahead and ordered the Sierra Team for $250 that comes with a $100 gift card. It sounds like a great beginner-friendly all-around board and I just couldn't pass up the deal.

Last edited by Sir Ringo; 01-12-2010 at 10:35 PM.