Another "first board" question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another "first board" question

I am going into my second season of snowboarding and am looking into purchasing my first board after renting through last year. I thought I might ask for some guidance, since this board seems to be friendly to requests of this sort.

I am about 5'10" tall, and weigh just under 150 lbs. Boot size is either 9.5 or 10, based on my rental experience (I am planning on going to a local ski/snowboard shop to get fitted with boots; I understand the idea that boot fit is probably the most important aspect of the snowboard setup). As I said this will be my second year snowboarding, and I would certainly still consider myself a beginner. I guess my (intended) riding would be primarily freeriding; at least in the short term I do not have much interest in freestyle riding.
I live and ride in the northeastern US, to give you an idea of kind of snow conditions I deal with.

Here are some of the boards which seem to be appropriate for me and are available at seemingly good prices (under $250 or so): K2 Select 158, Ride Control 158, Palmer Classic 157, Salomon Ace 157, Option GT 157. Any thoughts on these choices and sizes? Are there any particular other models that might be worth looking into?

I have found Rome Arsenal bindings available for $120, which appears to me to be a good price for a high quality yet fairly beginner friendly binding, but I would appreciate any feedback on this issue as well.
Thank you!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2007, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Those are all decent choices. Another decent all-mtn board that is in expensive; Burton ELite 158.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

check out the GNU CHB or the Ride Decade as well.

The arsenals are a great binding at that price point, you could also look at something like the Ride lx/ex/rx ilk also
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions.
I wound up deciding that it was best at least for my first setup to go with stuff available at my local shop, since I probably could use the local service and support. I ended up getting a Rome Crail 156 and the arsenal bindings. Thanks again for your help.

Anyway, now it is probably time to stop thinking about equipment for a while and just enjoy the early season snow in the northeast!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote