Did I make the right choice? Please help!!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 05:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
KReddy05

Default Did I make the right choice? Please help!!!

I'm a beginner, and have gone 4 times, but plan on hitting it more this season. I'm 26yo, 5'11, 200lbs (but norm around 190 lbs), and wear a size 11. I'm a Freeride type of person.

I just bought a Burton 2008 Custom 158, Burton Moto boots, and Flow Flite 2 bindings. Long story short, I got a really sweet deal on this stuff, but I wanted to know if I made the right choice with the 158? I know heavy riders are supposed to get longer boards, but they say beginners should go with shorter boards. I MIGHT be able to go back and get a 162, but not sure if I should???

Also, should I get the Burton Hail boots or stick with the Moto? I tried the Moto and they felt better (softer) to me and seemed easier get in/out of with the quick lace system. But then again, the Hail felt stiffer and less flexible which I've been told is better for control for newer riders. Both had minimal heel lift for me.

Decisions, decisions!

FYI, here are the specs for the Burton Custom:

158 - Up to 180 lbs - Width 249
162 - Up to 190 lbs - Width 251
166 - Up to 210 lbs - Width 253

THANKS for the help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
KReddy05

Is the 249 width ok for me? Size 11 boot. Oh yeah also, the Flow Flite 2 bindings are size L, should I go for XL?

Flite 2 vs. Flite 4? The 4's are like $20 more, any difference in performance?

Last edited by KReddy05; 12-08-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
KReddy05

Thanks for the advice snowolf. I just found out today that I can trade in my black/red Custom for a black/silver/blue Custom ICS (Infinite Channel System) and pay a little more. Not sure what advantage this gives me other than the color and the "limited edition" tag?

Is the ICS system only for Burton bindings? Cuz then I'd take the Flows back and have to get Burtons. Which would end up making me all-Burton which means I will have to fit the stereotype of the Burton fan-boy newbie that all you vets despise, haha. Whatever, I don't care, Burton or not, if it's better shit then it's better shit.

I got a great deal on the board already so if I have to pay a little more for the ICS I don't mind. What do you think???

BTW this is the ICS I can get, not the one on Burton's site:
2008 Burton Custom 158, ICS,NEW LIMITED EDITION, Uninc - (eBay item 230198606615 end time Dec-08-07 16:15:00 PST)
Old 12-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dirtyserpent

Default 158.

No problem. The 158 will be a fun board in all around everyday conditions.

In super deep powder you might want a bigger board but really 2cm won't matter half as much as your riding skill and speed.