snowboard size and brand advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
eastcoastnoob

Default snowboard size and brand advice

Hi all,

I started snowboarding this season and have been doing pretty well. Renting every time I go is getting expensive and seems like a waste, so I was looking to buy a board. I needed advice on sizing/what board you guys would recommend. I have looked specifically at the rossignol scope, sierra team snowboard (same as flow team?) and flow merc. I would be open to any boards however.

Ht: 5'6"
Wt: 145
Boot size: 8.5-9/Foot size: 25.4 cm

I will be doing most of my riding here in Western PA/New York areas, if that helps. Won't be hitting the park much, if at all.

I know that size can vary depending on the board itself and what kind of riding you are going to do. When I went to the local shop, I was told 153 would be too long in any board, so that confused me a bit. I was originally looking at the sierra team snowboard (with the flow quattro bindings for $349) but shied away after the local shop worker told me 153 would be too big. Is there a range I should be looking at, like 151-153? Any board recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by eastcoastnoob; 01-09-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

woah you're exactly the same specs as me lol

i'm riding a 154 never summer premier right now. i think it's a tad too tall for me but it works since the premier is a freeride board. the next board i'm getting is an evo-r so i'm gonna get a 151.

and i agree, renting is bs. i snowboarded one day and the day after i bought that premier.
nguyendinhvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

OP, if you like the Sierra Team, go for it. Given you'll be freeriding mainly, the 153 will be fine.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
eastcoastnoob

Thanks for the responses, I am definitely looking at the Sierra. I also found a 2010 flow merc with flite 2 bindings, a bag, and 2009 head classic boots for $350. Unfortunately, it is 155 cm.

There is also a 2009 Flow Merc with the same bindings, boots, and bag for $330 but comes in 152 cm. Is the 2010 going to be too long? The 09 isn't a bad deal either.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Glydan

Eastcoastnoob, if you don't mind, can you tell me where you found the deal for the 155 flow merc?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm 5'7, 155 and ride a 155 NS Heritage. If you wanna go longer you'll be fine. However with that being said, I purchased a 155cm board cause I wasn't planning on doing any park and all freeride. Now one season later I'm doing more and more park stuff and at times wonder if a shorter board would be better.
JediMindGamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Sir Ringo

I just ordered the Sierra Team myself for my first board. I'll be trying it out next week and can let you know my thoughts if you'd like.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
eastcoastnoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ringo View Post
I just ordered the Sierra Team myself for my first board. I'll be trying it out next week and can let you know my thoughts if you'd like.
Thanks man, but I actually ended up ordering the rossignol. Of course the day after I ordered, Sierra had their one day special of giving away a $100 gift card with a purchase of the sierra team snowboard! If I hadn't bought the rossignol I would have def jumped on that deal. But seems like a great board, congrats