What do you think of this package - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
tpayne9

Question What do you think of this package

Hey everybody I'm a newbie to the game and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best setup for me to have. I haven't really done a whole lot of studying, but I have looked at burton gear and came up with this following package. Tell me what you think and any advice on something different too.

Myself being 5' 8" and 150 lbs. I came up with

Burton Deuce 155
Burton P1.1 bindings
Burton Shaun White Boots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
oxi

haha my advice would be to do more studying and don't have to stick to burton. is this a package deal for really cheap or a few things you just saw you liked? the deuce is an alright board to start off with.. don't know much about those bindings. for the boots, you should go to a store and try a lot on to see what fits your foot best.
oxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Im in no way bashing burton here..but if you just looked into burton you are really limiting yourself. Some other brands to check out are capita, ride, k2, and a lot more that Im not thinking of right now. Generally brands like lamar, 5150, and sims are lower end boards that you might want to stay away from if you have the cash. But odds are you will be able to find something cheaper that compares that Burton board.
boarder3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

An amazing starter setup would be either a Capita Horrorscope FK or Capita Indoor Survival FK board. The Horrorscope is really soft, playful, and easy to jump on and learn to ride. The Indoor Survival is a little bit stiffer with a bit more dampening which is going to keep it from chattering at higher speeds and take some of the abuse off of your knees, but is also easy to just jump right on and ride.

Rome 390 or Union Force bindings. The Rome 390's are insanely comfy and the Forces are just badass bindings that will last forever.

And boots, well you can't pick boots, they pick you. Boots are the single most important thing in your arsenal. But spending $300 on boots doesn't automatically mean you've got good boots.... Go and try on a bunch of boots and see what system of strapping feels good, and what boot fits best. I highly recommend a boot with the Dual Boa system.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
NorthEastBoarda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
An amazing starter setup would be either a Capita Horrorscope FK or Capita Indoor Survival FK board. The Horrorscope is really soft, playful, and easy to jump on and learn to ride. The Indoor Survival is a little bit stiffer with a bit more dampening which is going to keep it from chattering at higher speeds and take some of the abuse off of your knees, but is also easy to just jump right on and ride.

Rome 390 or Union Force bindings. The Rome 390's are insanely comfy and the Forces are just badass bindings that will last forever.

And boots, well you can't pick boots, they pick you. Boots are the single most important thing in your arsenal. But spending $300 on boots doesn't automatically mean you've got good boots.... Go and try on a bunch of boots and see what system of strapping feels good, and what boot fits best. I highly recommend a boot with the Dual Boa system.
Id listen to this guy
Old 01-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You might want to look up some of your local shops in terms of finding some gear. A lot of places will have last year's equipment at discounted rates. Plus, regarding the boots you'll actually get to try them on and decide if they're right for you rather than trusting random strangers on the internet!
To be honest, I was in the same boat as you and studied a whole bunch of boards on the internet. I was set on getting one of the k2 all mountain boards before I went to the store. I ended up getting last year's Ride Control (heavy discount helped). Turns out it's perfectly good for learning on.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
tpayne9

Thanks for the help everyone I greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Setup

Listen hard to the boot advice...particularly trying them on. They really matter. Buy boots at a shop that "fits" ski and snowboard boots. "Fitting" is to make minor changes in the boot so that it comes closer to being custom for you. IMHO, you should never buy a boot that won't allow you to comfortably walk at least a mile.

I've collected some semi-useful board info on my site. Check it out!

Also good advice - there are other brands besides Burton.
bryantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Check out the K2 Darkstar. Great board to learn on and also grow with, inexpensive, lots of good wood awards, and you can take it all mountain.
SigCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Actually, for your size and weight, I'd suggest the Sierrascope FK 152. It's got features of the Indoor Survival FK and the Horrorscope, and Sierra's having a great deal on it right now.
vi3telit3 is offline   Reply With Quote