old guy picking up a new sport - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
chaser

Default old guy picking up a new sport

Looking for some answers to some basic questions. Did some searching on here already, any other links or sites to get some basic snowboarding equipment answers? I have a nine year old that is learning to snowboard. He was set up by our local shop here with some beginner equipment. I'm 34. Never snowboarded. My boarding experience is limited to wakeboarding. Have only done a little skiing. Looking to spend some time on the hill with my kid though. Is this something I'm can pick up without too much trouble? Just looking for some easy riding on the hill. Not going for the parks, jumps, or back country tree dodging. I'm 6'5 225lbs size 12 boot and in good shape, other than one knee that is a little sore. Only bothers me after some hard landings wakboarding. Any boards bindings you can suggest? Any boards or bindings to avoid? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
chaser

Default binding

What size board? How about a recommended boot? If it matters, most of the time I use this will be on artificial snow here. won't be seeing much powder. Whats the difference between step in versus strap in? Adv vs disadv?

Last edited by chaser; 12-08-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neusch11

Ill jump in here a little too...I noticed you said a size 12 in boot, is that actually a shoe size or have you been fitted in a snowboarding boot? You said a local shop fit your son so i would go back and have them fit you specifically, and remember you want a snug fit too not a loose fit or you will lose everything.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Augie09

my $.02 is get some wrist guards or gloves with built in guards. I have Levels right now. Beginners fall a lot and not always correctly. You might not be able to stop your tailbone from getting sore the first day, but you can protect your wrists.

I also recommend the lesson.
Why not rent gear the first season?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Take a look at the Ride Decade 165 wide board if possible. I rode this board for 3seasons and it is a very stable, easy to ride board that will be perfect for the type of riding you want to do.

I would buy a pair of crash pants or butt pads as well as the wrist guards and knee pads others are suggesting as you will spend most of your time on your butt the first day and it can be painful. the crash pads help reduce much of this pain associated with you falling.

Biggest thing is don't get upset when you fall and it's more difficult than you thought and just give up. Every single person who has ever attached a snowboard to their feet has been through this and while learning curves are different for every person just keep positive about it and know that it will take at least 2-3 days before you start feeling comfortable on the board. This sport is great and it has a very quick turnaround in terms of input to output of enjoyment but the first few days are where people get frustrated and just give up...
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote