Deciding on a new board.. Lib-tech, Nitro, Jones, or ...? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Deciding on a new board.. Lib-tech, Nitro, Jones, or ...?

I'm trying to decide on a new board.

I've been riding for 25 years but have taken a few years off at times and other years been on the mountain almost every day. I can take on any terrain the mountain offers but not big into tricks. I'm not sure I've ever landed a full 360! embarrassing to admit....

I ride everywhere but mostly when I can be (and it's not totally tracked out) I'm in the trees.. steep and deep. but I'll do moguls sometimes and groomers the rest of the time.. i sometimes try to play in the halfpipe but i'm pretty boring and awkward there so definitely not focussing on a board best suited for that.

I'm about 6' 0" and weigh about 180 lbs at the moment...

Currently I ride a Gnu Factory Choice 158... I have flow bindings from the same year. 2000
I've been putting off an upgrade for a long time..

The short list I'm deciding on that I've come to so far is..

Jones Mountain Twin Solid
Nitro Diablo
Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro

All in the 160 - 161 range...

If anyone would like to chime in with recommendations or warnings or considerations about any of these I would much appreciate it!

Thanks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3247.jpg (68.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by rheo; 01-08-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Unless you're doing A LOT of switch riding, I personally don't really see the point in getting a true-twin, so out of those three I would go with the Mountain Twin since it's a directional twin.

If riding switch isn't really a priority for you, I would probably look towards the gold member instead of the T.Rice atleast on the lib tech side of things.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

I think when I'm just bombing around the resort I will like that flexibility to do more switch riding.

I'm interested in what advantage the "serrated" edge on the Lib Tech's or the the "power pods" on the Diablo will get me as well.

Another contender I'm going to throw into the mix since reading a review (but not sure where to source it yet) is the Gnu Eco Choice

I think in the big picture what I actually want is probably 2 boards with 1 being a split board. I would definitely be looking to the Gold Member first for that.

Last edited by rheo; 01-07-2017 at 11:16 AM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Nothing wrong with being a pure freeride guy without a big bag of tricks. I've thrown threes in the past, but haven't in the last 3-4 years. Just not my thing.

I get motion sickness easily and throwing spins makes me dizzy. Is what it is. Do what makes you happy.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheo View Post
I think when I'm just bombing around the resort I will like that flexibility to do more switch riding.

I'm interested in what advantage the "serrated" edge on the Lib Tech's or the the "power pods" on the Diablo will get me as well.

Another contender I'm going to throw into the mix since reading a review (but not sure where to source it yet) is the Gnu Eco Choice

I think in the big picture what I actually want is probably 2 boards with 1 being a split board. I would definitely be looking to the Gold Member first for that.
I'm in the same boat as you. Took some time off and need a new setup. Being in the PNW, I like the Mervin stuff - and the eco choice looks solid. Wish there were more demo days to get some laps in to help decide...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I can't help here but I wanted to say your gnu is beautiful
freshy likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheo View Post

I'm interested in what advantage the "serrated" edge on the Lib Tech's
Grip. It will basically give you extra grip on icy snow, but it comes at the cost of extra drag. the .5 mag seems like a great idea although I have never tried it. I've been on a Dark and a Darker Series since 08 and I love the boards, the mag is great for those unexpected patches of ice and the drag in pretty negligible. I am a huge fan of the C3 camber.

If you want to stay in the Mervin ecosystem sounds like a Gnu Billy Goat would be right up your alley.

If you want something completely different and more on the freeride side look into a Dupraz D1.

I don't believe in signatures
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshy View Post
Grip. It will basically give you extra grip on icy snow, but it comes at the cost of extra drag. the .5 mag seems like a great idea although I have never tried it. I've been on a Dark and a Darker Series since 08 and I love the boards, the mag is great for those unexpected patches of ice and the drag in pretty negligible. I am a huge fan of the C3 camber.

If you want to stay in the Mervin ecosystem sounds like a Gnu Billy Goat would be right up your alley.

If you want something completely different and more on the freeride side look into a Dupraz D1.

.5 mag? what's that?

Unfortunately something about the Billy Goat graphics rubs me the wrong way.

That dupraz looks really interesting.. Would love to try it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
.5 Mag has the bumps like half as deep, basically less pronounced Magnetraction.

Don't let the graphics of the Goat turn you off, even Lib haters like that board. But whatever.

I don't believe in signatures
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshy View Post
.5 Mag has the bumps like half as deep, basically less pronounced Magnetraction.

Don't let the graphics of the Goat turn you off, even Lib haters like that board. But whatever.

Would the Power Pods on the Diablo provide much the same extra traction?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode