Intermed boarder looking to buy - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jeager

Default Intermed boarder looking to buy

First time buyer, looking for a solid but cheap board. Im 6' 170lbs with a size 13 shoe (not exactly sure about my boot, but renting is normally at 13), looking for something like 159-161 wide board. I have seen alot of stuff, went to what seems like every online site, craigslist, ebay. But cant really find anything amazing in my price range. Also, i am not sure what I would categorize myself as. I like to hit jumps (but im not that great, but its the most fun) but normally im just carving down some blues and blacks. So more of a all-around board would be best.

Mainly I need to know what brands I should be looking for, and what to avoid. from what i've seen, LTD and Lamar boards are fairly basic cheap, but not really worth buying. Burton so far is mostly to expensive, and im unsure about forum, ride, and a few others. I found a K2 that was fairly up to my standards around 230$, but not to much else. Trying to stay within 280-320 range for a board and bindings, and i'll go buy boots from a local store. So if anyone has some suggestions, would be amazing.

So yeah, thats it... Thanks for any advice that can be given!

Edit: I'll post the few boards I have been looking at, maybe some addition info would help.
http://www.proboardshop.com/9858saam...nowboards.html 158W Salomon Ace Magnum - Smaller then what I was told to be my size, but pretty good price. Also available in 162W

http://www.proboardshop.com/9863k2il...nowboards.html K2 Illusion 163W, also available in 158 (not wide). Pretty good price, and I have learned I should stay near K2, as they are good boards. and for 230$ for a K2 wide, im leaning twords this one so far. But a bit longer then planned

http://www.proboardshop.com/9857tnst...nowboards.html Technine split T 157W for 240$.. Not sure what I think about it, still a bit shorter then what i've been told to get

http://cgi.ebay.com/LTD-Prodigy-Wide...item518f99f235 This was the original one that got me doing more indept research about stuff... its LTD, 159W, boots bindings board combo for 300$. But so far reading LTD is that its nothing great, so I feel like I should spend the extra cash and get something a bit better.

Last edited by Jeager; 01-10-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jeager

Is fleetwood a good bran for a board? A deal on ebay going right now for a 158W thats in my price range.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Check out

Never Summer boards 3yr Warranty
Arbor 2yr
Venture 2yr
Smokin' 3yr
Unity 2yr

Stay away from Technine, Lamar, Morrow, Fleetwood, 5150, etc..

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by m60g; 01-10-2010 at 02:52 PM.
m60g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jeager

hmm, thanks for the info. Checking around for those brands, and tried looking at the stuff for sale on this forum. Wondering how these boards match up with their price, and if it would be worth looking into more

New Northwave Venue 160 cm Venture - eBay (item 320471663715 end time Jan-11-10 18:12:28 PST) Venture board
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...erc-160-a.html Flow board
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ard-159-a.html Salomon
Old 01-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Venture is a brand:

Venture Snowboards

That first board is a Drake I think

The other two would serve you well You can't go wrong on the prices they are offering.

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
m60g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jeager

K, thanks for that. Yeah, I figured it was a brand, and the ebay titled it as one, or so I thought. I'll check with the other guys to see if they still have it and go from there.

Also, think those will be fine with a larger boot? as they arnt wide boards, even if wide is just a cm or so wider, kinda got me worried about getting a non wide one. With size 13 boots, i dont want to much overhang

And one final question: found a 2009 Flow Merc on a site for the same price, but its a 156.. 4cm difference, for a intermediate, what would be better? And for the 156 I have a bit more confidence that I wont get ripped off too

Ah, also forgot one more I found... http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-K2-Illusion-...item53df134308

K2 Illusion (2007) 159W with K2 indy bindings for 220... I hear good things about the K2, but cant really find much about the specific bindings, so any comments on it would also help

Last edited by Jeager; 01-10-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeager View Post
Also, think those will be fine with a larger boot? as they arnt wide boards, even if wide is just a cm or so wider, kinda got me worried about getting a non wide one. With size 13 boots, i dont want to much overhang
At size 13 try and find yourself a wide board if you can.
Quote:
And one final question: found a 2009 Flow Merc on a site for the same price, but its a 156.. 4cm difference, for a intermediate, what would be better? And for the 156 I have a bit more confidence that I wont get ripped off too
156 might work for ya. You will have more control but it will be slower than longer boards, etc.
Quote:
Ah, also forgot one more I found... http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-K2-Illusion-Wide-Snowboard-K2-bindings-159-cm_W0QQitemZ360224867080QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSnowboa rding?hash=item53df134308

K2 Illusion (2007) 159W with K2 indy bindings for 220... I hear good things about the K2, but cant really find much about the specific bindings, so any comments on it would also help
Don't know much about this particular board, but they make solid sticks. I bought a K2 Hardcore 161 in 1995, rode it lightly in high school and only a few times in college, finally got rid of it in 2004 and gave it to my friend jay before he moved to Truckee. As far as I know, he's still riding it. For $220 a package like that is all brand-spanking-new gear, that's gonna be tough to beat. It's the right size for you & everything, and brand new.

I'd go with something like that, it's inexpensive but it will probably treat ya pretty good for a few seasons. Or, you could sell it for $150 or something next year and upgrade to something newer and shinier!
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote