Backyard jibbin broken tail - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Backyard jibbin broken tail

I went up to killington for the weekend, rode all day was sick conditions and park. Went home we all set up a jump to a table top..and well somehow ripped out my tail edge. How to I fix it, pic attached.
Would I
1. open it up more clean it out
2. epoxy (what kind)
3. Clap down and let sit over night
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1111735.jpg (84.4 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg P1111734s.jpg (68.7 KB, 151 views)
Bizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

damn thats pretty shitty.

so your base pretty much seperated from the rest of the board?
banana420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

That part of your board never touches the snow, and has no performance inpact. So all you really want to do is keep water OUT.

Get in there and clean it out a little bit. Grab some SLOW setting marine epoxy. 24hr cure is the best, as slow curing epoxies are more flexible and less brittle.

Slap in plenty of expoxy, clamp it together, and don't touch it for about 24-48hrs. You're only goal here is just to keep it from getting worse, and to keep water out of the core.
scottland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

ya it sucks. It was either from 180 on 180 off, or the front flip that almost landed. Ya I rode it like that the next day at the mt, has no performance impact but gatta keep that water out. Thakns guys .. marine epoxy
Old 01-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana420 View Post
damn thats pretty shitty.

so your base pretty much seperated from the rest of the board?
yes however the gnu park pickle doenst have any metal edging on the nose and tail, which makes for a nice maine epoxy fix
Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

ive got the base clamped back down to the tail..(I think it may come out well) hopeefulyyyyy
Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzman View Post
yes however the gnu park pickle doenst have any metal edging on the nose and tail, which makes for a nice maine epoxy fix
Wonder if you could have blown your edge like this if the board has fully wrapped metal edge. Ran over some stuff on my Trice (no metal edge on nose and tail) and it was damaged with a deep cut into the sidewall, I needed to get someone to epoxy it.
ckang008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
somebodyelse5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckang008 View Post
Wonder if you could have blown your edge like this if the board has fully wrapped metal edge. Ran over some stuff on my Trice (no metal edge on nose and tail) and it was damaged with a deep cut into the sidewall, I needed to get someone to epoxy it.
Metal edge woulda been worse lol. Mervins boards can get beat up pretty badly (the tip tail) and its not as big of a deal because of how theyr made. If you base came up water could get to the core, but most of the time its the top sheet that gets ripped up (like scraping a branch or a rock or getting hit by another boarder...) nice thing is its mostly aesthetic damage. a full metal edge hitting a sharp rock or something, with enough force to do damage would have the same affect as a wood splitter.

and props to the Trice, what year are you riding?
I have a 2007 with mtx and this years with the bird and btx.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelse5 View Post
Metal edge woulda been worse lol. Mervins boards can get beat up pretty badly (the tip tail) and its not as big of a deal because of how theyr made. If you base came up water could get to the core, but most of the time its the top sheet that gets ripped up (like scraping a branch or a rock or getting hit by another boarder...) nice thing is its mostly aesthetic damage. a full metal edge hitting a sharp rock or something, with enough force to do damage would have the same affect as a wood splitter.

and props to the Trice, what year are you riding?
I have a 2007 with mtx and this years with the bird and btx.

That's quite true how it will be like a wood splitter in the way u put it haha!

I'm also riding the C2BTX from this year and the board rocks. It's a rocket compared to my 08 Uninc. Very stiff board. loving it so far. Between the 07 and this year, which one u like more?
ckang008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
somebodyelse5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckang008 View Post
That's quite true how it will be like a wood splitter in the way u put it haha!

I'm also riding the C2BTX from this year and the board rocks. It's a rocket compared to my 08 Uninc. Very stiff board. loving it so far. Between the 07 and this year, which one u like more?
The wood splitter example is how the mervin reps explain it haha. A full metal edge board is stamped, and much cheaper to make too. Saying its "More durable" is a bunch of nonsense

Right on, Im a lib tech fan to the bone haha. I have the early 2010 board, Only difference is that i have no C2 banana, just regular banana. Ive only gotten 4 days on my new Trice this season, so just enough time to get used to the banana. I havent gotten to fully experience the greatness that comes from banana and mtx on ice tho. ( I rode at wolfcreek the week before new years when they got pounded, super pow ) Banana makes a monster difference in the powder!

I rode my 07 the day i hurt myself, it was a hardpack/ice day with a lot of rocks everywhere at our local mountain so i didnt wanna ride my new board. I think right now im a little partial to my 07 board just because Ive gotten used to riding it, Im just a little more accustomed to it.

I have no doubt ill feel the same way about the 2010 board once i get some more riding on it. (if my knee heals in time!!)