Struggling with NS Proto Type 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Struggling with NS Proto Type 2

I've got about 5 days on my new 160 Proto Type 2 and I'm really struggling with catching edges and the noodle-like feel under my feet. I'm 6'2, 265 with a 24" stance width... and almost 40 so my peak athletic years are behind me. I'm a simple rider just enjoying cruising easy blues with my son who's just starting.

We have a great local shop that suggested this in addition to all of the reviews touting the board. I'm wondering if this board is just too performance oriented for my style.

I also just changed bindings to the Ride Capo a few days ago and that was a big change of sensitivity, again, wondering if the board shop is over-estimating my ability. I do feel like I was riding the PT2 better with my old Burton P1 bindings.

Any recommendations on getting to more stability and possibly forgiveness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
You need someone to tell you what you're doing wrong. That board is forgiving, it's not your gear.
linvillegorge, Rogue and Alonzo like this.

Quote:
Snowboarding, the pure awesomeness of it trumps all possible injuries.

TT
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:39 PM
jae
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
a couple of tips:

detune the tip and tail.

try shortening your stance.

stay centered over the board when riding,always keep 1 edge engaged.

try not to flat base your board too much. while the T2 is more stable then most CRC's flat basing, it's still a CRC.

make more turns, it'll help you get used to the board profile.

I just think you're having trouble adjusting to CRC and you might have sloppy technique. sorry if that sounds rude, but it truly is a easy board to ride.
StmboatJhawk likes this.
post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
265 pounds on a 160 ??

seems like you are too heavy for that length by a long shot (but not sure what the weight rating is?)
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmboatJhawk View Post
I've got about 5 days on my new 160 Proto Type 2 and I'm really struggling with catching edges and the noodle-like feel under my feet. I'm 6'2, 265 with a 24" stance width... and almost 40 so my peak athletic years are behind me. I'm a simple rider just enjoying cruising easy blues with my son who's just starting.

We have a great local shop that suggested this in addition to all of the reviews touting the board. I'm wondering if this board is just too performance oriented for my style.

I also just changed bindings to the Ride Capo a few days ago and that was a big change of sensitivity, again, wondering if the board shop is over-estimating my ability. I do feel like I was riding the PT2 better with my old Burton P1 bindings.

NS boards are known to be grabby off the bat...do a search on here for more info...detune and consider getting your edge bevel reworked if their CRC is proving to be a pain...alternatively sell that fkr and buy an Arbor element you'll thank me later...
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:46 AM
jae
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deagol View Post
265 pounds on a 160 ??

seems like you are too heavy for that length by a long shot (but not sure what the weight rating is?)
NS's don't have a specific weight rating as they're old school in that aspect, but weight ratings are generic as it is and I'm pretty sure no snowboard company has a exact science behind it.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae View Post

I just think you're having trouble adjusting to CRC and you might have sloppy technique. sorry if that sounds rude, but it truly is a easy board to ride.
Ha, not rude at all. It's the reason I made note of my skill level. I was wondering if it was a board more sensitive to mistakes.

The shop de-tuned it when I bought it and I also took it back in for another round.

I'll put the time into lessons, just need to know I'm not making it harder because of equipment.

Thanks for the help!
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmboatJhawk View Post

Not sure what the problem is bro. I'm the same weight as you and 5'11". I also have the 160 and I love it and I can fly on that thing. I'm certainly no superstar athlete, I've been snowboarding for 15-20 years but still have trouble on blacks. What is your skill level? Can you carve a blue? What was your old board? What are your stance angles? Do you ride switch? Is this your first twin? How old are your boots? Just some more info will help dial in the problem, this weird to me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deagol View Post
265 pounds on a 160 ??

This is probably true in theory but I can ride the 160 fine and I'm 265 or 270lbs. I totally take the brakes off, not sure exactly how fast I'm going, need to get a GPS but it's gotta be 60-70 Km/h. I would have preferred a 162 but they don't make one and I didn't want to go wide. Although I wear size 11 boots so I would probably be ok on a 164W. Anyhow, I'm fine on the 160. I'd rather lose some weight than buy a fat guy board. Haha
deagol likes this.

Last edited by WasabiCanuck; 02-06-2017 at 09:33 AM.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 10:18 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Your weight on a 160 mid flex crc is definitely responsible for the noodle feel between the feet, which makes unstable flat basing and hence your edge catches. I'll second the suggestions of detune contact points, ride on edge more, and get lessons. It's a very reactive board, you tell it to do something and it will. Problem is half the time you're probably not intending for it to do what it does. At your weight on that board subtle movements can make a big difference, lessons really will make the biggest difference.
Opunui, virtu and StmboatJhawk like this.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phedder View Post
Your weight on a 160 mid flex crc is definitely responsible for the noodle feel between the feet, which makes unstable flat basing and hence your edge catches. I'll second the suggestions of detune contact points, ride on edge more, and get lessons. It's a very reactive board, you tell it to do something and it will. Problem is half the time you're probably not intending for it to do what it does. At your weight on that board subtle movements can make a big difference, lessons really will make the biggest difference.
Weird, I'm the same weight and I find it super easy to ride. Maybe because I came from an old trad cam plank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode