Recommend me a second board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
jackstah

Default Recommend me a second board

I currently have a 2009 Never Summer Premier F1 -- other than a couple days of renting, the only thing I've ever boarded on -- and it's working out great. It's super stable at high speeds, and while it's been a little harder to learn on the stiffness, I'm definitely growing into it. Furthermore, my first priority will always be carving and bombing down the steeps, which is why I bought this board.

However, last weekend I was at Sierra, and I ended up spending a little time in the super-beginner terrain park. It was definitely fun. I'm interested in getting a second board that will allow me to play around with freestyle a little more, although I don't plan on ever doing super hardcore park stuff as it's not worth the injury risk to me. Furthermore, I'd like something that just feels a little different and helps me learn what different boards mean to me. Finally, I'd like it to suit runs through the trees on powder days. My current board seems fine on powder, but it's a little hard to maneuver through dense forests, especially since at 161cm on 180lbs, my current board definitely fits but is on big side.

Therefore, I'd like a second board that has the following properties:

1) Something like 156cm or so -- still want it to fit, but
2) Rocker -- just for kicks, would be good for powder
3) Freestyle stiffness -- want to do park, but more just want to be able to goof off and turn on a dime.
4) Will be able to acquire for ~50% off when the 2010 boards go on sale next month -- I don't really need a second board, so it'd have to be a good deal to be worth it

From what I remember of my research last year, I was thinking either a LibTech, Capita, or a Never Summer EVO-R or SL-R. I like what the Never Summer brand represents (small company, high quality, long warranty), so SL-R was probably my first choice. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you could get a sierrascope now for 299.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

capita sierrascope buy it now for half on sale with a coupon instead of waiting, or NS evo-R. should be more nimble and softer than waht you have, should be a blasty blast in the park but able to take anywhere on ht mountain.
c_mack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Evo-R's are supposed to be pretty good on the rest of the mountain besides being nice in the park. Might want to consider an SL-R if you plan on spending more time outside of the park than in on this board though.
The only thing that might be hard is finding a Neversummer board for 50% off. I'm pretty sure I read that NeverSummer doesn't allow their products to fall below a certain price (so certain stores won't carry them). I've seen some for 350 now and then, and you might be able to try Ebay or Craigslist as well.

Libtech has a lot of good boards that have rocker and are good in the park from my understanding, but you'll probably want to ask around in order to determine which ones are more "all around"ish.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

What coupon gets you half off on the Sierrascope? "insidescope" doesn't work for me.
bufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufo View Post
What coupon gets you half off on the Sierrascope? "insidescope" doesn't work for me.
oh my bad, it wasnt half off, it made it 299. if you called them and asked them to honor that price i bet they still would. if you want a sierrascope i would hurry, i think they only made 500 of em.
c_mack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
WeRunDp

go all out and grab evo before you cant find them anymroe...its a sick ass board you wont regret...its perfect for the park but not too flexy so you will def have alot of control...it real well on the mountain and decent in powder...i got a 151 so powder aint really for me but a 156 would fit you well and be sick if the pow....the r/c tech in the board is amazing...you wouldnt want a board with more rocker than this, and the camber feature is to die for...its all the pop you need with nice easy landings every time....i say its a great board for a pro or a experienced snowboarder who wants to learn some prk....you prob will see your self using the evo the most...its sick all around.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you were at sierra last weekend why didn't you demo the never summer boards? They were doing a free demos on sat and monday.

I normally ride a 155 heritage and demoed a 151 evo-r. It was amazing for the park, super flexy, poppy and buttery. And even thou going from edge to edge was a breeze, and quick, it just didn't feel as stable when I was bombing down lower main. I talked to rep and was wondering if he'd recommended the non RC heritage or the evo-r for pow and he said he'd stay with the heritage. So if you want to be able to do more then just park, i'd go slr instead of evo.
JediMindGamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pheeldo

get a K2.

end of story, you will be satisfied.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheeldo View Post
get a K2.

end of story, you will be satisfied.
You do realize that k2 makes a variety of boards, ranging from all mountain to almost park only boards right? That in and of itself doesn't help much.
I'm not one to bitch usually, but at least choose a certain line or something and explain why he should get that one.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote