Rossi One Magetek or Something Else For Ice Coast - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Rossi One Magetek or Something Else For Ice Coast

Hi guys, I currently ride a GNU Carbon Credit with Rome 390 Boss, which from what I've read is a good park/all mountain setup (soft to med-stiff CRC). I'm looking to expand my horizon by setting up a different profile/stiffness/style board/bindings. I know for sure I'm not interested in a softer park setup. So I guess my next option is stiffer carve/speed setup. My original thought was just to get some stiffer bindings and put them on the Carbon Credit. I unfortunately got a bad case of upgradetitis though, so I am now researching boards as well. Also I'm not sure if the stiffer bindings would work anyways if the CC was too soft.

I ride mostly in PA but I do try to go at the very least to the Catskills once a year, farther if I can afford and find someone to take care of kids. So it's pretty much groomers on the ice coast. Skill level is high-beginner/low-intermediate, I can pretty much run through greens effortlessly, and I'm comfortable on blues although I still fall once in a while.

From reading here on the forums the last couple days, the Rossi One Magtek seems to be the most recommended for ice coast riders. A couple other names that popped up during my research include:
- GNU Rider's Choice
- Lib Tech Hot Knife
- Lib Tech TRS
- Never Summer West
- Burton Custom X
- Burton Flight Attendant

Any thoughts if the Rossi One is the one I'm looking for, or if I should read up on other boards?

My budget is $300, and I haven't been watching prices so I'm sure some of the items above I won't be able to afford. I do know that the Rossi One has a couple on eBay for $350, so so far it's within my budget.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsnowboards View Post
Hi guys, I currently ride a GNU Carbon Credit with Rome 390 Boss, which from what I've read is a good park/all mountain setup (soft to med-stiff CRC). I'm looking to expand my horizon by setting up a different profile/stiffness/style board/bindings. I know for sure I'm not interested in a softer park setup. So I guess my next option is stiffer carve/speed setup. My original thought was just to get some stiffer bindings and put them on the Carbon Credit. I unfortunately got a bad case of upgradetitis though, so I am now researching boards as well. Also I'm not sure if the stiffer bindings would work anyways if the CC was too soft.

I ride mostly in PA but I do try to go at the very least to the Catskills once a year, farther if I can afford and find someone to take care of kids. So it's pretty much groomers on the ice coast. Skill level is high-beginner/low-intermediate, I can pretty much run through greens effortlessly, and I'm comfortable on blues although I still fall once in a while.

From reading here on the forums the last couple days, the Rossi One Magtek seems to be the most recommended for ice coast riders. A couple other names that popped up during my research include:
- GNU Rider's Choice
- Lib Tech Hot Knife
- Lib Tech TRS
- Never Summer West
- Burton Custom X
- Burton Flight Attendant

Any thoughts if the Rossi One is the one I'm looking for, or if I should read up on other boards?

My budget is $300, and I haven't been watching prices so I'm sure some of the items above I won't be able to afford. I do know that the Rossi One has a couple on eBay for $350, so so far it's within my budget.

Thanks
I bought a Rossi One a few weeks back off the House for 325. Fantastic board and really holds up on icy conditions well. Very forgiving too - I haven't caught an edge yet and this is my first season snowboarding. If you're looking at it, make sure you size appropriately. I have 10.5 boots and bought a 156. I have booted out a couple times on deep heelside carves and I have a 23.5 inch stance (15/-15). If I could do it over again, I think they offer a 157W and I would have bought that.
johnsnowboards likes this.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffa View Post
I bought a Rossi One a few weeks back off the House for 325. Fantastic board and really holds up on icy conditions well. Very forgiving too - I haven't caught an edge yet and this is my first season snowboarding. If you're looking at it, make sure you size appropriately. I have 10.5 boots and bought a 156. I have booted out a couple times on deep heelside carves and I have a 23.5 inch stance (15/-15). If I could do it over again, I think they offer a 157W and I would have bought that.

awesome thanks for the tip.

I guess I should have mentioned in the OP, I wear a size 9 boot, and weigh 170 lbs right now but usually go up to 190 lbs during the winter. I currently ride a 156 GNU CC. I was looking into getting the 156 or the 159 Rossi One.

I believe the CC and Rossi one have around the same waist width. I've never had problems with the CC's width so I'm thinking the regular (non-wide) Rossi One would be good enough for me. Unless if you guys think I'd be better off with the Wide version, I wouldn't mind trying it out.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
awesome thanks for the tip.

I guess I should have mentioned in the OP, I wear a size 9 boot, and weigh 170 lbs right now but usually go up to 190 lbs during the winter. I currently ride a 156 GNU CC. I was looking into getting the 156 or the 159 Rossi One.

I believe the CC and Rossi one have around the same waist width. I've never had problems with the CC's width so I'm thinking the regular (non-wide) Rossi One would be good enough for me. Unless if you guys think I'd be better off with the Wide version, I wouldn't mind trying it out.
Nah I think with 9s and medium bindings you're all good with the 156 (although at 190lbs you might be better off with the 159 for more stability). I have large bindings and only overhang an inch both heel and toe.
johnsnowboards likes this.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Burton custom (not x) with edges set to -.5 base and -1.5 side and you own the ice but still have enough flex to be playful and make cool turns without having to be going 40mph + in order to actually decamber the board. I'm 6'0 185lbs and I've got a163 custom set up thusly with some malavitas.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)

If you want something slightly more aggressive you could try the jones mtn twin, but the Rossi one won't let you down.

newby / ski convert
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I purchased the RossiOne Magtek from the House as well for $325. I purchased the 159 and bought Union Force medium bindings and new K2 Malys 9.5 and took it out Saturday in Wintergreen. There was not much terrain left but I had a blast. My experience was very positive. In the past the only Board I have ever ridden was a Burton Sherlock 162W and wow what a difference. I was popping higher, doing 180s, and just moving all over the place. Was a different feel and took me about an hour to get used to it but I loved it. It did not feel as stable at high speeds but I did not mind.

The biggest difference is that I can now spin in the air now whereas before learning to do 180s on the Burton was tough for me. I wish I would have bought the Board sooner because I think id be doing 360s by now. Good price for Board imo. Oh and the boots are awesome!!!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

awesome lots more vote for Rossi One. I also saw another post from a fellow ice coast rider, who also ended up with a Rossi One so it seems to be a very good choice so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielding View Post
Burton custom (not x) with edges set to -.5 base and -1.5 side and you own the ice but still have enough flex to be playful and make cool turns without having to be going 40mph + in order to actually decamber the board. I'm 6'0 185lbs and I've got a163 custom set up thusly with some malavitas.
interesting, reading through the specs it seems to fit what I was looking for, minus the magnetraction. I'm guessing your edge tuning specs was enough on the ice without the need for magnetraction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave785 View Post

If you want something slightly more aggressive you could try the jones mtn twin, but the Rossi one won't let you down.
sweet, yeah my next question was gonna be 156 vs 159, thanks for the tip.

as for the jones mountain twin, quick search looks like a lot of good reviews as well. I will read up on this. thanks
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:20 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Magnetraction and other proprietary edge gimmicks are a joke.If that shit worked then world cup racers would be using it. BUt they don't. Seriously. Those guys spend hundreds of dollars on wax and shave off all their body hair just to faster and hold a tighter line. You wanna ride ice? Skip the mongotraction. Get a moderately stiff camber board with a quality build and have the edges set sharp. Don't do it yourself if you don't know what you're doing.

For what it's worth the Custom has some kind of name for their edge bumps. I think it's frost bite. They don't really play it up.

Quote:

interesting, reading through the specs it seems to fit what I was looking for, minus the magnetraction. I'm guessing your edge tuning specs was enough on the ice without the need for magnetraction?

Last edited by Fielding; 03-20-2017 at 06:23 PM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:46 PM
zc1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
The edge technologies do work, in my opinion, but in line with what Fielding said, the best edge hold that I have on ice is actually on a full camber board with no special edge tech.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode