Does this need to be repaired? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Does this need to be repaired?

Yesterday I was hit by a skier. You can skip this part if you don't care what happened I was heading to the lodge on the right, kind of zig zagging my way down, going down the hill on my toes and then traversing across on my heels so I didn't miss the opening to cross under the lift to the lodge. I thought I was being fairly predictable, and since the majority of traffic comes out of a cat track on the left this is a fairly common thing. I never heard or saw her until she hit me directly from behind. I took a pretty bad blow to the back of my head and neck (I'm short, she was taller as far as I could tell, I think she put her hands with her poles up to protect herself since she wasn't wearing a helmet). Skip forward, ended up hanging out in the ski patrol lodge for almost 2 hours waiting for a ride since I was dizzy and couldn't drive. Went to the hospital on their recommendation and had my neck and head checked. I'm fine, just sore, and as far as I could tell she was fine as well.

Anyways I finally took a look at my board this morning and it has some damage. There is a large scrape on the top sheet of the nose that goes about a quarter inch in at the worst point. There is also a cut or crack (can't tell) in the side wall between my bindings, directly under my stomp pad. There's some significant scratching on the topsheet corresponding to this and some damage to my bindings that is just cosmetic. I'm all for leaving it if it is just cosmetic but if it does need to be repaired I'm probably going to take it into a shop. Opinions? I was having a hard time getting my phone to focus, I can take more pictures if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170320_085007591.jpg (60.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170320_085623470.jpg (55.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170320_085554652.jpg (54.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170320_085747740.jpg (42.5 KB, 51 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:01 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Send the pics to Johnny Lupo at Boardworks. Dude is top notch.

https://www.facebook.com/boardworkstechshop/?pnref=lhc

"my only interest in statistics is in not becoming one"

--CassMT
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

He's all the way in Bellingham, I would feel bad asking for his opinion and not being able to actually go to his shop if it does need repaired.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Rose View Post
I'm all for leaving it if it is just cosmetic but if it does need to be repaired I'm probably going to take it into a shop. Opinions? I was having a hard time getting my phone to focus, I can take more pictures if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Send the pics to Johnny Lupo at Boardworks. Dude is top notch.

https://www.facebook.com/boardworkstechshop/?pnref=lhc
firerose...that sucks, glad ur ok...last week at crystal--going at a fairly good clip...a skier and I actually kissed edges...but neither of us went down...LOL

idk if the nose is starting to delam...if it is just get some long-cure 2part epoxy...mix it up, tape off the area, work some into the delam and clamp it for a couple of days. The sidewall looks fine...but just do up some epoxy for that at the same time

Deacon...how did you hear about Johnny...his shop is about 1/2 mile from my house...and he does great work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:55 PM
Not quite reformed yet

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Quote:
He's all the way in Bellingham, I would feel bad asking for his opinion and not being able to actually go to his shop if it does need repaired.
No reason to feel bad about asking via interwebz.

I'm no board damage/repair expert, but from those pics, it doesn't look like there's any separation or delam of the top sheet. If that's the case, it's prolly just cosmetic. It looks like it just scraped some of the edge of your top sheet back.

Some folks recommend deliberately sanding off/back that sharp top sheet edge in order to prevent having it "catch" or peel the top sheet in just such a situation. If you're concerned or if it looks like some of the core is exposed, you could seal it off with a thin coat of epoxy!

Same goes for that section of sidewall. It appears like maybe a piece was scraped out more so that a crack. Again,.. I think you could use a little epoxy to fill it out and seal it from water seepage if you're worried.

Still,.. that said! It wouldn't hurt to send the pics and get an experts second (…and more informed) opinion.

You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

Feb/Apr 2011. (27) days!
2011/12 (38) days!
2012/13 (48) days!
2013/14 (44) days!
2014/15 (00)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015/16 (28) days!
2016/17 (29) days!

"The Older I get,.. The faster I was!!"
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:44 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Quote:
He ships stuff, I know guys from all over that have sent their stuff to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
firerose...that sucks, glad ur ok...last week at crystal--going at a fairly good clip...a skier and I actually kissed edges...but neither of us went down...LOL

Deacon...how did you hear about Johnny...his shop is about 1/2 mile from my house...and he does great work.
From DMQ (and probably a couple other groups) on facebook.

"my only interest in statistics is in not becoming one"

--CassMT
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
getting hit sucks. But the damage doesn't look bad at all. The scratch between ur bindings ur fine 100%. at the tip you only have to have it epoxy'd if ur getting seperation/delam (if nothing just keep an eye on it in the future to make sure it doesnt start splitting). Most likely no problems from the pix anyways
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

There is no delam, but my main concern was that the damage would cause it to start to delam. I guess I will just leave it for now and keep an eye on it.

Thanks guys. I'm just glad the crash wasn't worse. I was going pretty fast, since the run was clear and she must have been too (I think she came down the face, which is a groomed, fast black diamond run). I checked over my shoulder before going across and didn't see her or her kid. She yelled at me for cutting across and it sounded like she was blaming me for the crash. I got up, placed my board above us, felt dizzy/nauseous and laid on the snow until ski patrol came while some guys checked out her leg. I could swear I saw a crack in my helmet at the time but now I'm not seeing anything. It took a pretty good hit in the back from the collision and in the front from hitting the snow forwards so quickly. I guess I should probably replace it to be safe.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:53 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Hard to tell, but the far right pic makes it look like there's a gap between the edge and the sidewall. Is that true?

The topsheet scratches are no big deal, as mentioned you could coat a layer of epoxy on to protect it, but there's really no need.

Hope you feel better!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
I didn't know he was on the West coast.
Thought he was east coast.

I was gonna get some highbacks for a pair of Forum bindings I got.
Too much prolly to Shit from the east coast, but may not be bad from right below me?

TT

If whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Then I am so close to immortality

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode