Please help me decide if this 2nd hand board is good to buy - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Solved: Brought board, thx for all your help.

Edit, Board brought, thank you all for your help and advise.

Hello everyone, this is my 1st post to the forum. This is my 2nd year riding snowboard, I started 2 years ago with rental, then I brought the Morrow Mountain Snowboard when Big5 had it on sale for 60 bucks. I have no experience with snowboard before so I feel like this is the best snowboard in the world, until I did a forum search here and many people says this is for beginners, so I like to change to a better model.

My current skill level is that I have no problem at all controlling the board, I can go slow or fast, carving etc... and I just started to do basic jumps now. But my budget is limited, so I went craiglist to look for used snowboards and this one caught my eye, I think this is a good deal, but like I said, I'm very much noob when it come to equipment, so can you guys let me know if this is a good set up for about $350 total?

Burton Custom X snowboard (size 156) , Burton Cartel bindings (size medium) and Burton Ion boots (size 9)

The seller said he brought it new in 2009, and its been out total for about 25 days, he said there is one minor gash on base which was professionally filled in and repaired, with is in the picture, which I don't know if this is serious or not

Can someone please give me your best opinion on what do you think about this?

Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (133.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (33.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (32.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (147.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (161.1 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by jackliu239; Yesterday at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
#1 - Chances are the boots don't fit you. They may be your size, but odds are they don't fit you right. Try on a bunch of boots before wasting your hard earned money on something that doesn't fit right, and will never magically fit right.

#2 - We need more details to know if a Custom X 156 is going to be a good board for you:

- Have you had lessons yet?

- You say this is your second year, how many days have you snowboarded so far in total?

- Where do you typically ride? (what resort)

- What do you like to do most? Carving pencil line turns, tricks, steeps, playing around?

#3 - Depending on where you live $350 for a used, 8 year old board-boots-bindings combo is a little steep.
Deacon and Phedder like this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:10 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Better to focus attention and dollars on getting good boots that really fit right. Your proper boot size will be smaller by probably a size or a size and a half than your street shoe size. If you want to make good progress and be comfy then you need good boots. Spend money there. Buy them new, at a shop that has a boot fitter. Now is a good time to do it because stuff is on sale for the end of the season. Once you've got boots there's a million used boards and bindings for sale out there. Go to a ski swap next fall and fondle the merchandise. For now, I'd say that the price for that particular setup is not a bargain. Super not impressed by the base condition.
Deacon likes this.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I guess I will keep looking.

I never had any lesson actually, I learn from youtube, I have ride about 20 days in total I would say overall, in the beginning I fall a lot but now I'm pretty confident on the snow.

I ride only in SoCal, in Bear mountain, Snow valley area. I'm only started to do jumps since 2 weeks ago, when I started, I crash about 90% of the time because I just let the slope take me up and when I'm in the air, I have no control where or how I land. Now I learn that before I go up, I jump a little bit with it and so far its doing me wonders, that little jump at the end controls my position and my landing. Before that I just been snowboarding around, carving lines in the snow, doing a bit tricks like spinning while going downhill, trying to gain speed and turn at high angel so my hand can touch the ground while I turn etc... just basic stuff, but ever since I tried to do jumps, its so much more fun.
poutanen likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Yeah sounds like the Custom X will not be the right board for your needs. Another question I forgot to ask was what is your height and weight? Figuring out what size to look for should be step one.

Another thing to think about is if you want a true twin, or a directional board. If you plan to spend a fair bit of time in the park, riding switch, and working on tricks, then a true twin would make sense. If you're planning on riding forward 95% of the time, with the occasional switch trick thrown in there, then a directional board would make more sense.

Follow @Fielding's advice about boots first, then look for the board and bindings. You'd hate to get medium bindings, only to find out that your proper fitting boots are too small for the bindings.

With the time you've spent riding (and the lack of lessons) you're likely still at the beginner-intermediate stage of riding. My suggestion would be a mid-flex, slightly directional board like the Burton Custom (camber) as a great all-mountain intermediate board.

Summary:

Money spent on boots and lessons is money well spent.

Money spent on the wrong size/flex/shape board is money poorly spent.
neni likes this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Yeah sounds like the Custom X will not be the right board for your needs. Another question I forgot to ask was what is your height and weight? Figuring out what size to look for should be step one.

Another thing to think about is if you want a true twin, or a directional board. If you plan to spend a fair bit of time in the park, riding switch, and working on tricks, then a true twin would make sense. If you're planning on riding forward 95% of the time, with the occasional switch trick thrown in there, then a directional board would make more sense.

Follow @Fielding's advice about boots first, then look for the board and bindings. You'd hate to get medium bindings, only to find out that your proper fitting boots are too small for the bindings.

With the time you've spent riding (and the lack of lessons) you're likely still at the beginner-intermediate stage of riding. My suggestion would be a mid-flex, slightly directional board like the Burton Custom (camber) as a great all-mountain intermediate board.

Summary:

Money spent on boots and lessons is money well spent.

Money spent on the wrong size/flex/shape board is money poorly spent.
I'm 5-10 and 190lb, my current set up is Morrow Mountain Snowboard 155 and I'm using Lamar Aries binding. I don't ride switch that much, and I don't plan to do a lot of park stuff for next few seasons.

I feel I have grown out of my current set up, so what do you recommend for the next one that I purchase?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackliu239 View Post
I'm 5-10 and 190lb, my current set up is Morrow Mountain Snowboard 155 and I'm using Lamar Aries binding. I don't ride switch that much, and I don't plan to do a lot of park stuff for next few seasons.

I feel I have grown out of my current set up, so what do you recommend for the next one that I purchase?
Yeah you could probably go up a few CM at this point. I'm 5'7" and 185 lb and ride a 160 cm board as an "expert" rider. I'd suggest going with something in the 157-159 range for your height and weight.

Sounds to me like a directional board would make more sense for you. My suggestion from above still stands... look for a mid-flex, directional, good all-around board (like the Burton Custom camber).

My suggestions (others will likely chime in with other options):
- Burton Custom (camber or flying V, I would suggest camber)
- Neversummer West or Snowtrooper
- K2 Joy Driver
- Volkl Sleek

The nice thing is you're looking at a very fat market. There are a lot of intermediate, mid-flex, directional boards out there. Have fun!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Yeah you could probably go up a few CM at this point. I'm 5'7" and 185 lb and ride a 160 cm board as an "expert" rider. I'd suggest going with something in the 157-159 range for your height and weight.

Sounds to me like a directional board would make more sense for you. My suggestion from above still stands... look for a mid-flex, directional, good all-around board (like the Burton Custom camber).

My suggestions (others will likely chime in with other options):
- Burton Custom (camber or flying V, I would suggest camber)
- Neversummer West or Snowtrooper
- K2 Joy Driver
- Volkl Sleek

The nice thing is you're looking at a very fat market. There are a lot of intermediate, mid-flex, directional boards out there. Have fun!

Thanks a lot my friend, out of all the suggestion you listed, I only heard of Burton, how does the other 3 brand compares? Especially for when it come to maintenance, because if its possible, I like to keep that one for many years to come.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackliu239 View Post
Thanks a lot my friend, out of all the suggestion you listed, I only heard of Burton, how does the other 3 brand compares? Especially for when it come to maintenance, because if its possible, I like to keep that one for many years to come.
No problem! There are many other options out there, but these are three that I think I'd want to use if I were in your shoes.

Burton is based out of Vermont, most board production is in China. The Custom has a 3 year warranty, and a sintered base (sintered is generally faster, but more delicate than extruded bases). Burton warranty service is FANTASTIC.

Neversummer is out of Colorado, and produces their boards in house. The West has a 3 year warranty and a sintered base. Heard good things about their warranty process, and durability of their boards.

K2 is based out of Washington, and I believe production is in China? The Joy Driver has a 5 year warranty, and a sintered base. K2 is generally referred to as a quality brand (they also make lots of skis and ski gear), although I have no experience with their warranty department.

Volkl is based out of Germany, and produces their boards in Germany. I believe their board warranty is 3 years, but can't confirm. The Sleek has an extruded base, which will be marginally slower, but likely more durable (and less maintenance) than a sintered base. Rumour is they have a great warranty department. I owned a Volkl race board until recently, and it was VERY well constructed.

There are lots of other brands out there, but some don't offer what I suggested (mid-flex, directional board)...
jackliu239 likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Banned!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
i think ur on track in good hands but fwiw that is a terrible deal

i'm not overly motivated to sell, but I have 2012 154 Never Summer Proto (in near new condition) that I'd let go for a song if you have a hard time finding something else that fits. (lets say 100+shipping, i'm in CO)

as I said I'm not that worried about selling it, but I dont ride it and this is the kind of deal you should be getting, I dont care if its not from me.

shiet I i got an extra pair of near new medium malavita's too if you wanted (say another hunj, maybe 90)

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash

Last edited by snowklinger; 03-21-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode