Does anyone else wish there was a torque rating for tightening bindings on a board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Does anyone else wish there was a torque rating for tightening bindings on a board?

I've set up a pretty good amount of bindings for myself and other people, and I consider myself very thoughtful and proficient at it. However, I've never really thought about binding tightening until now for some reason.

I have a pretty strong grip. I've broken the tips flathead screwdrivers off on heavy duty bolts, I've bent metal over tightening weight sets and whatnot. I just switched out my bindings and put them on my Bataleon board and freaked out. I can usually tighten something until it breaks, so I don't really know what tight is in some cases...I mean I can tell if it's tight, but I can always keep going.

A torque rating would be really nice because I'd just use a drill to prevent from ruining my board. So I'm sitting here thinking to myself, "Did I tighten my bindings enough, or are they too tight?", because I'm scared to break my board. :P

Seriously. A torque rating would be perfect. Why the hell hasn't anyone thought of that?
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
somebodyelse5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phile00 View Post
I've set up a pretty good amount of bindings for myself and other people, and I consider myself very thoughtful and proficient at it. However, I've never really thought about binding tightening until now for some reason.

I have a pretty strong grip. I've broken the tips flathead screwdrivers off on heavy duty bolts, I've bent metal over tightening weight sets and whatnot. I just switched out my bindings and put them on my Bataleon board and freaked out. I can usually tighten something until it breaks, so I don't really know what tight is in some cases...I mean I can tell if it's tight, but I can always keep going.

A torque rating would be really nice because I'd just use a drill to prevent from ruining my board. So I'm sitting here thinking to myself, "Did I tighten my bindings enough, or are they too tight?", because I'm scared to break my board. :P

Seriously. A torque rating would be perfect. Why the hell hasn't anyone thought of that?
only issue they would run into with providing a torque rating, like you said you would use a drill, would be this...Think about all the people who board, a good amount of them are yahoos that dont work well with this kinda stuff. Imagine someone taking a drill to a bolt thats not totally in the grooves

I think it would be cool if the ratcheting pocket tools you can buy had a break feature, where it would only allow you to tight to a point then it would stop applying torque. Like a break loose torque wrenches
Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelse5 View Post
only issue they would run into with providing a torque rating, like you said you would use a drill, would be this...Think about all the people who board, a good amount of them are yahoos that dont work well with this kinda stuff. Imagine someone taking a drill to a bolt thats not totally in the grooves

I think it would be cool if the ratcheting pocket tools you can buy had a break feature, where it would only allow you to tight to a point then it would stop applying torque. Like a break loose torque wrenches
Good point, but I guess it would only be for people who know how to use a drill. You have a nice idea there, I'd like to see that out there. Now I'm going to be wondering about my board all day. Just guess I gotta check it after the first few runs then at the end of the day.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I just put on new targas on my new board. I thought they were tight enough and was afraid of overtightening. I did a few runs and felt like I couldn't ride since I only went like 3 times in the last 3 years. I checked my angles, forward lean, made sure my boots were centered again, then I realized the screws were loose. I had to retorque em down.

I'm not sure if a torque rating would be good enough with new equipment, you'd have to ride and retorque em down again later. Kind of like putting on lugs on a car. You can overtorque em a bit on a car and not worry but I don't think you can do that on a board.
Magnum626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd like that so much because like you I have a good grip and could probably do some damage to my board with just a screwdriver.

There's no real way to tell if you're good or too tight, I hate it!!
fredericp64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum626 View Post
I just put on new targas on my new board. I thought they were tight enough and was afraid of overtightening. I did a few runs and felt like I couldn't ride since I only went like 3 times in the last 3 years. I checked my angles, forward lean, made sure my boots were centered again, then I realized the screws were loose. I had to retorque em down.

I'm not sure if a torque rating would be good enough with new equipment, you'd have to ride and retorque em down again later. Kind of like putting on lugs on a car. You can overtorque em a bit on a car and not worry but I don't think you can do that on a board.
Heh, my k2 bindings were so tight into my board, some of the plastic from the bindings grafted to the top sheet of my board. I've used my Goliath a bunch of times and even in some pretty hairy chop. They were just as tight as the day I tightened them last year. I don't run into the problem of loose screws, but now I'm scared maybe I'm hurting my boards. I can't believe it never really dawned on me.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if you crank 'em too tight you run the risk of creating dimples on the base of your board which are irreversible, in other words you're screwed (no pun intended)
fredericp64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You people make me laugh. It's a threaded insert about 3 to 5 full turns and it's tight. Use a number 15 posidrive and you're golden.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
somebodyelse5

Hey why don't dab some loctite in there?
Old 01-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just use 1 hand and tighten them gradually with a medium grip in a cross pattern... honestly, i dont think the screws are going to come off when you are standing on top of them and there are no moving parts... trap them on and jump around to confirm that it is not loose... you guys are making it more complicated then it is... use teflon tape instead of locktite.

Last edited by yusoweird; 01-23-2010 at 12:15 PM.
yusoweird is offline   Reply With Quote