Waxing questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Waxing questions

I am wondering why do we still need to brush and then scotchbrite the snowboard AFTER we scrape of the wax? I have done my waxing a few times. I just scrape of the wax and that was it. I watched waxing videos on youtube,still not really understand why we need brushing and scotchbrite?

also, will those brushes intended for the kitchen work the same?

Last edited by campfortune; 01-23-2010 at 10:02 AM.
campfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfortune View Post
I am wondering why do we still need to brush and then scotchbrite the snowboard AFTER we scrape of the wax? I have done my waxing a few times. I just scrape of the wax and that was it. I watched waxing videos on youtube,still not really understand why we need brushing and scotchbrite?

also, will those brushes intended for the kitchen work the same?
The brushing is to make a fine texture in the wax to prevent suction against the snow. Just a few strokes in the running direction and you should be fine. The main goal of waxing is to wax, the brushing is just a secondary part of the process for extra speed. If you've been having great results without brushing then dont even bother.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've never done it out of laziness or ignorance, take your pick. But I believe that people do it to define the mini channels that run the legnth of the board so water can flow underneath faster. This is something you want to do if you're looking to get a speed advantage.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Your goal is to get all the wax off the board leaving the wax that is in the board. After scraping there will still be a good bit of wax left on the base that will make the board slower until it is worn off. Same goes for using a scothbrite after a brush.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
somebodyelse5

just use a bristle brush. i got a 6" wide one from lowes for 3 bucks and ive been using that. Its just the finishing touch that makes a difference.
I wax boards for people in my dorm, so i want to get them the best i can....for 10 bucks that is haha
Old 01-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

I never try to ride at my boards terminal velocity in a straight line, so therefore, I skip the brushing. My board is never perfectly smooth looking after I wax in the first place.
SchultzLS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
somebodyelse5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzLS2 View Post
I never try to ride at my boards terminal velocity in a straight line, so therefore, I skip the brushing. My board is never perfectly smooth looking after I wax in the first place.
its not smooth lol?

you need to get some base cleaner on there, or get your base ground. you would be surprised how much better itll ride when its really smooth.....
Old 01-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelse5 View Post
its not smooth lol?

you need to get some base cleaner on there, or get your base ground. you would be surprised how much better itll ride when its really smooth.....
Hahaha no no no don't get me wrong, the base is very smooth to the touch. What I meant was it has the very fine lines in it from scraping. It doesn't have a polished "like glass" look.
SchultzLS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think the scothbright thing is a mixup that comes from rub-on wax techniques.

The scotchbright pad creates friction and heat that will melt the rub-on wax into the pores without an iron. Some ppl use a cork instead.

But the brush thing is to get into the groves of a structured base. The scrapper just makes it flat. But when it's completely flat, it creates suction...like 2 pieces of glass stuck together...and will reduce your speed. For example, there are metal brushes or machines that will make "crevices" in your base. Depending on conditions, there's an optimal "patern" like linear, criss-cross, whatever that racers apply before a competition. The nylon brush gets those crevices to reveal themselves after wax fills them up.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 01-24-2010 at 03:18 AM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzLS2 View Post
Hahaha no no no don't get me wrong, the base is very smooth to the touch. What I meant was it has the very fine lines in it from scraping. It doesn't have a polished "like glass" look.
Base Structure Article
Ski Snowboard Base Structure Tips Tognar
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote