Jones Storm Chaser vs. Lib Tech Mayhem Short Fat - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Jones Storm Chaser vs. Lib Tech Mayhem Short Fat

Hey awesome riders in the forum,

Does any one know secret sources to get the brand new Jones Storm Chaser 2016(Red topsheet 147) or the Mayhem Short Fat 2017(Waves on topsheet)? My season is over but I am so obsessed with the short fat style snowboards and these two boards' designs so I am thinking to get one for pure powder riding. I googled all major e-retailers and eBay but they are all sold out.

Any less well-known stores that may still have them in stock?

For the veterans who've rode these boards, can you share your impressions of their performance on powder, groomer or maybe powder in trees? Kinda of curious how much difference is there between the rocker(Jones) vs camber+flat contour(Lib Tech)? If they can work on snow conditions in eastern coast resorts, it will be extra sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:25 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Email jones.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
Email jones.
Just did. Thanks for the heads up!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
I have the Mayhem short fat and had the 2017 Storm Chaser. The latter was super loose because of the spoon nose/tail and full rocker, which also made it one of the most fun boards I've ever ridden. That said, the Mayhem is also super fun, with more control on landings and outside of deep pow. Then again you're looking at the older Storm Chaser, which doesn't have the spoon but still had full rocker, so it will still be fairly loose. You should really checkout the Rossi Sushi 145, K2 Cool Bean 144, and Lib Coho 146 also.

18 Snoplanks Asym Fish . 16 NS Swift - 14 TJ Brand Retro Fish
17 Burton Malavita Wing . 16 Burton Genesis X
16 Flow Talon
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
I have the Mayhem short fat and had the 2017 Storm Chaser. The latter was super loose because of the spoon nose/tail and full rocker, which also made it one of the most fun boards I've ever ridden. That said, the Mayhem is also super fun, with more control on landings and outside of deep pow. Then again you're looking at the older Storm Chaser, which doesn't have the spoon but still had full rocker, so it will still be fairly loose. You should really checkout the Rossi Sushi 145, K2 Cool Bean 144, and Lib Coho 146 also.
So with Mayhem, I guess its camber profile just provides more control and the storm chaser is more surf oriented? Do you think Mayhem will be a better choice to charge on groomers? Did you have chance to try them out on the powder?

Those boards are great, I will check them out. Appreciate for recommendation.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Coho is also sold out anywhere and not even in next year's catalog, sad.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALUNE View Post
So with Mayhem, I guess its camber profile just provides more control and the storm chaser is more surf oriented? Do you think Mayhem will be a better choice to charge on groomers? Did you have chance to try them out on the powder?

Those boards are great, I will check them out. Appreciate for recommendation.
Quote:
Coho is also sold out anywhere and not even in next year's catalog, sad.
Yeah I rode both on several pow days as well as groomers. Yes I know there's a Youtube video of JJ carving it up on groomers which is possible, but it takes too much precision and concentration so it's just not very fun at all. The Mayhem on the otherhand was holds an edge really well on hardpack and is actually pretty fun through mogul fields. No fat board is good for icy conditions though, for obvious reasons.

You might be able to still find a new/used Coho if you search hard enough. Next year it will reappear as the MC Step Tail. Basically the same board except C3 instead of TT profile and with an added step tail instead of the moon tail.

16 Flow Talon
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah I rode both on several pow days as well as groomers. Yes I know there's a Youtube video of JJ carving it up on groomers which is possible, but it takes too much precision and concentration so it's just not very fun at all. The Mayhem on the otherhand was holds an edge really well on hardpack and is actually pretty fun through mogul fields. No fat board is good for icy conditions though, for obvious reasons.

You might be able to still find a new/used Coho if you search hard enough. Next year it will reappear as the MC Step Tail. Basically the same board except C3 instead of TT profile and with an added step tail instead of the moon tail.
Yeah, I saw that video and I am pretty sure JJ can simply carve any board like it's all camber lol.

In that regard, Mayhem Short Fat will probably fit my interest the best. I have to try harder to find one as I am not a fan of 2018's design.

Appreciate for the info!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that video and I am pretty sure JJ can simply carve any board like it's all camber lol.

In that regard, Mayhem Short Fat will probably fit my interest the best. I have to try harder to find one as I am not a fan of 2018's design.

Appreciate for the info!!
You should really checkout the Rossi Sushi also. It's like a hybrid of the Stormchaser & Mayhem. Mellow setback camber, gentle early rise nose, setback, taper, swallowtail, and playful flex.

16 Flow Talon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode