Board size for my girlfriend, help please - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board size for my girlfriend, help please

Whats up guys, trying to find a decent beginner board for my girlfriend. She's still learning but is making quick progress. She's 5'6" and 110lbs and she has been riding a 149 which fits her height and weight range great. It's 60" to the bottom of her nose. The question I have though is there is a board she loves and is the right price for her but it's a 154 which is more for people who are 125lbs+ and in inches is 60.5" roughly in length which would put it roughly at her nose (again slightly big).

I was curious as to what you guys thought about her running that size of a board. I think it would be okay as she's not looking to do tricks right now but just mainly get her riding skills down and learn to carve, etc. Basically just get her confidence up before she even thinks about jumping anything.

So what do you guys think, can she get away with a 154 okay? What are the downsides of running a board that is slightly too big other than it's harder to spin, etc? Thanks for all the help!
jputtho2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

she may not have total control over it, but i tihnk its do-able. do they have it in a smaller size?
avenged1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenged1985 View Post
she may not have total control over it, but i tihnk its do-able. do they have it in a smaller size?
They have a 149, but it's $120 more. heh Tryin to get her a good setup to learn on while keeping the cost as low as possible.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

a smaller size would probably be easier to learn on. she could always eat and grow! You might be able to get away with the big one. Wait and see what other people think also
avenged1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenged1985 View Post
a smaller size would probably be easier to learn on. she could always eat and grow! You might be able to get away with the big one. Wait and see what other people think also
haha yeah I told her just to gain weight...didn't go over so well.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

There is a big difference between a 154 and a 149!!

Just for a comparison, I am 5'0", weigh 105, and ride a 141. (Of course, I like a shorter, flexier board, so I'm not recommending she go that small). My first board was a 143, which was a perfect size for me to learn on. It seems like a 145 would be closer to an ideal size for your lady's beginner all-mountain board, so I vote strongly against increasing the size from what she already rides, especially to 154. Has she demoed different board sizes? Does she know that she prefers a longer board over a shorter one? It is silly to buy a board that long just to save some money if it ends up being the wrong board, thus one you'll have to sell and replace.

Remember that you do not measure board size according to where it hits your face (chin, nose, etc.) Look at her WEIGHT. A longer board will feel stiffer and will be harder to control than a shorter board, but will improve stability.

What board is she on now and what is she considering buying?
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

my vote is that 154 is too big especially if she's still learning. It all comes down to personal preference but when you're that new you don't really know what you like so that's moot. Personally I'm 5'9" 150 lb and I started much longer but i kept wanting to drop down in size year after year and i've found 152 is what i'm comfortable at.
sumo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
There is a big difference between a 154 and a 149!!

Just for a comparison, I am 5'0", weigh 105, and ride a 141. (Of course, I like a shorter, flexier board, so I'm not recommending she go that small). My first board was a 143, which was a perfect size for me to learn on. It seems like a 145 would be closer to an ideal size for your lady's beginner all-mountain board, so I vote strongly against increasing the size from what she already rides, especially to 154. Has she demoed different board sizes? Does she know that she prefers a longer board over a shorter one? It is silly to buy a board that long just to save some money if it ends up being the wrong board, thus one you'll have to sell and replace.

Remember that you do not measure board size according to where it hits your face (chin, nose, etc.) Look at her WEIGHT. A longer board will feel stiffer and will be harder to control than a shorter board, but will improve stability.

What board is she on now and what is she considering buying?
Yeah I knew that gauging where the board stands in relation to you isn't a proper gauge but weight is the correct measurement. I have talked her outta the 154.

All she has ridden thus far is a 149 unfortunately which have been rentals. I have actually spent the last 3 hours researching and searching boards showing her alternatives. She was stuck on the one design for a while (which was the 154 and is why I asked) until I started showing her more designs. Also, like you said, I don't want her to get the wrong board just to save money. So with that, I am going to help her pay for it so she can get a better sized board for her to learn on. I think this next weekend I'll have her try out a 144 and a 147 and see how she does. Then make a decision. We are going to Colorado in March and I want her to be comfy on her own board by then.

I am still not that educated on what girls boards are good etc. What do you think of the Technine Dime Black as far as quality etc. She really likes how it looks and it seems to be a quality board. They also have a 144 and a 147 actually which I am thinking the 147 would suit her well.

Her biggest issue right now is confidence, once she gets through that she will really pick this up fast. She does much better than she thinks and is just still very nervous and it's all in her head. One big issue is the guys that run into her. Unfortunately, the last 2 times we were out someone has ran into her from behind and now that has her gun shy. I'm trying to get her off the beginner hill for that reason actually. Whats great though is she wants to be out there just as much as I do. hah

Thanks for the advice everyone! Much appreciated!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think you have an excellent plan in place.

To be honest, I know next to nothing about Technine snowboards. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that. The Dime does look like a pretty soft beginner board, so I'm sure it would suit her just fine.

I can recommend the following boards that are good for beginners, but will also last her a few seasons. Show her some of these - perhaps one will pique her interest?

Atomic Fallen Angel
Gnu B-nice
K2 Luna
Rome Vinyl
Burton Luxe or Blender
Omatic Benetar
Ride Rapture or Promise

Maybe even some more advanced freestyle boards, which would still be soft: Gnu B-street. Capita Space Metal Fantasy, Burton Lipstick, Roxy Eminence, Roxy Ollie Pop, Bataleon Distortia, Never Summer Pandora-r etc.

Head over to shredbetties.com and powderroom.net, both of which have communities for women shredders. Troll through some of those posts for more ideas about good boards. Both sites also have some board reviews. Unfortunately there are very few solid reviews of women's boards, especially lower end ones. Shay at shayboarder.com writes excellent board reviews and is very helpful. You can ask her for more recommendations - just use the chat box on her home page.

Good luck and happy hunting!
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote