someone freaking help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 02:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
the ed

Default someone freaking help

any advice is much appreciated. I'm 6' weigh in at about a buck 85 and my boot size is a 12. i only really do big mountain boarding, i tend to stay with blue runs because greens are to flat and boring and blacks are usually too steep for me. in the future however, i may progress into wanting to bust my ass on some tricks. I'm ready to spend some $ on my equipment. i just purchased last years cartel bindings(lg non est). I've done more research than i did picking OUT my wife and I'm just more confused than when i started. there are so many boards, which one is right for me? id like to buy last years model and my boss(wife) said price isn't an issue.
PLEASE FREAKING HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

go to a really reliable shop.. there the ones that can really help.. the people on here are just too bias and pompus to get good advice.. well there is some but most of it is complete bullshit.. reliable being the keyword
snedvesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snedvesky View Post
go to a really reliable shop.. there the ones that can really help.. the people on here are just too bias and pompus to get good advice.. well there is some but most of it is complete bullshit.. reliable being the keyword
And you think the people at the shop aren't bias and pompus as some of the people on here??? We all have our preferences and carry a certain amount of bias, but in my experience, we're no worse than the collective of shop people I've met over the years. At least most of us have no financial motive for recommending a board, but a shop clerk might. Plus, alot of the "good" shops will recommend a full burton setup to almost everyone that walks in. Is that the kind of "good advice" you're recommending?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Well considering he posted this same response just about word for word 10 minutes earlier on another thread I would say so...

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
PeterG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Choosing

Here's some info on snowboard size and width. Don't just do the chart...read the second link too. It's pretty interesting.

Everyone has their favorite brands of boards. I'm a Never Summer and Lib Tech spokesmodel

However, if I was only going to have one board, I'd go with a Lib Tech Travis Rice. It works really well in powder and ice, although not as well in powder as my NS Summit. Rumor is Travis does okay in the park too.
bryantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
alasdairm

Quote:
so most of the advice on snowboardingforum is complete bullshit? well, if you're not part of the solution you are part of the problem? i think so.

also, and i know it's petty, but it's they're not there and biased not bias and pompous not pompus. your advice sounds moronic when your spelling and grammar are that of a moron.

of course there is going to be some slightly biased information here, as sook indicates. but, to the op, i'd rather read the advice of users who have no financial stake in your decision than that of a clerk who is trying to make a sale. of course, your mileage may vary.

as with most things in life, an informed consumer is the best tool of all.

alasdair
Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Most people will tell you to buy a NS Legacy-R (which I would love to demo to try out the RC tech) - however, I just picked up a 2009 Capita FCG (this year its the quiver killer) 161cm for $160 off c3-shop (coupon 'shay' is working now). GREAT all-mountain board. Stiff enough to bomb runs and hit some jumps. Can't butter much at all, but it sounds like you don't need that. For the price, I figured I couldn't go wrong. Rides awesome & its not too wide, but wide enough that I don't get heel/toe drag with my size 12s.
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
the ed

thanks for the advice, but all you really did was get people to react to your respondse and not help me.
i picked up a '09 159 supermodel, what do you guys think?
btw what the hell is a "jib"
Old 01-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think the supermodel is a good choice for your skill level. I've never ridden one, but my sister used to. Its a good freeride board and its shape give it some good float in the pow. I think it will last you until you get better and want to upgrade to something more suited for tricks and jibs. (To jib is to ride on a non snow surface like a log, box or rail)

Sorry that we focused on the other guys response. Idiocy isn't well received on this site. What I should have wrote last night but was too tired was look into Ride, Rome and Arbor. Those are probably my favorite brands and they make quality stuff. Since you've already made your purchase, I won't go into specific models, but keep those guys in mind when you outgrow your supermodel
Old 01-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
the ed

thanks sook that was helpful. i looked at all those lines but like i said it just confused the hell out of me. pretend i didn't buy, what model would you recommend?