User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
K2 Cool Bean

Has anybody ridden the K2 Cool Bean and have an impression of it? I'm very interested in getting one of these short wide powder boards as they look mad fun ripping around on the mountain. My search so far has me looking at the K2 Cool Bean and I can grab one for $350 but being as poor as I am even $350 is a big commitment without being confident that I'll enjoy riding the board. I ride at Stevens Pass and dabble with some BC but most of my riding is shorter runs with some open fields but a lot of tree riding. It also tends to get tracked out pretty fast these days (even on midweek days *eye roll*) so basically I will not have fresh pow lines all day long and have to deal with some groomers at the end of runs. Any info on how this rad little board handles varying terrain? Any other board suggestions that may be more suitable for Stevens Pass? Any info helps!

Last edited by JKruick; 04-11-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
The cool bean is literally the perfect board for 99% of stevens terrain. I probably had it out 50% of my days there this year pow or no pow. Its definitely a bit of a quiver board but perfect for slashy surfy pow, trees, and slush slashing. Its a bit sketch in some of the chutes but still manageable.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

redlude97 Reading that got me pretty pumped! I'm pretty sure I will try and snag one of these bad boys when I can. I have my Gnu Billy Goat days for when I want to go real hard in chutes and dropping cliffs and was thinking of this for those cruise around days. Sounds like it would be perfect! How has it performed for you on the groomers?
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, my son and I demoed Cool Bean boards at White Pass back in February. We actually had gone in to demo the NS Swift but it had been sold (rental dept. demo). I was pretty disappointed I had been looking forward to trying the Swift. All they had were some cool beans. I did not expect them to be as fun as they were. I am 5'9" 165 size 9 boot. I rode the 150 which was likely bigger than I needed. Conditions were "Drier" fresh WA pow 12" new. Then Bean was super fun surprisingly easy edge to edge and very floaty on slower low angle runs. Tight tree sections were no issue, the board IMO handled great as far as that goes very maneuverable. If you are looking for a shorter dedicated pow deck I do not think you could go wrong here. I have been boarding since 1988 and this was quite possibly one of the funnest boards I have ever ridden in those given conditions.
Good luck!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm interested to hear how these fat little powder boards ride. Last summer I picked up a 15-16 Jones Hovercraft and have had it out n about this season in Japan's powder. Its a bit wider than my usual boards and while its great in powder, just so surfy and slashy, I found it to be a bit cumbersome on piste. The extra width had me really having to throw it around to get it on edge. Now the Cool Bean is a fair bit fatter, so I wonder how it is when its not in its powder element...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northriver1 View Post
Hey, my son and I demoed Cool Bean boards at White Pass back in February. We actually had gone in to demo the NS Swift but it had been sold (rental dept. demo). I was pretty disappointed I had been looking forward to trying the Swift. All they had were some cool beans. I did not expect them to be as fun as they were. I am 5'9" 165 size 9 boot. I rode the 150 which was likely bigger than I needed. Conditions were "Drier" fresh WA pow 12" new. Then Bean was super fun surprisingly easy edge to edge and very floaty on slower low angle runs. Tight tree sections were no issue, the board IMO handled great as far as that goes very maneuverable. If you are looking for a shorter dedicated pow deck I do not think you could go wrong here. I have been boarding since 1988 and this was quite possibly one of the funnest boards I have ever ridden in those given conditions.
Good luck!
Thanks for the reply! That's awesome you got to demo it and had a super fun day cruising around on it. So you're 5'9" 165lbs, I'm 5'11"-6' and 175lbs I've been going back and forth between 144cm and 150cm. Do you think the 150 was just barely too big for you? Glad to hear it was surprisingly easy edge to edge. Everything I've read about it says it would be surprisingly easy edge to edge except for one guy who said it was super slow edge to edge and it sucked. I'm guessing he must not be a very good rider lol. This year there was a ton of drier powder in WA it was awesome! December was unreal
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I'm 185lb with size 8 feet and ride the 144, 150 is for 200+lb dudes unless you are only going to be riding it in japow like conditions. It handles groomers great, obviously more work to get it up on edge but never boot out and it can lay down a pretty decent euro carve. The short tail and taper help with edge to edge transitions so its not as slow as you expect it to be. It is also super stable straightlining since is flat and so wide.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKruick View Post
Thanks for the reply! That's awesome you got to demo it and had a super fun day cruising around on it. So you're 5'9" 165lbs, I'm 5'11"-6' and 175lbs I've been going back and forth between 144cm and 150cm. Do you think the 150 was just barely too big for you? Glad to hear it was surprisingly easy edge to edge. Everything I've read about it says it would be surprisingly easy edge to edge except for one guy who said it was super slow edge to edge and it sucked. I'm guessing he must not be a very good rider lol. This year there was a ton of drier powder in WA it was awesome! December was unreal
The 150 felt like the perfect size to me, I did not try the 144. My boy was on the 144 and he weighs about same as me and he loved it. It seemed to float him just fine in those conditions. I felt like the 150 was the perfect size and that I wouldn't want shorter. I would suggest the 150, however others may disagree?! Good luck let us know what you do.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input guys! I think I'm pretty set on the 144cm. I'm hoping if I order today it will show up in time to get some laps in on it next weekend which is the last weekend Stevens is open. I will let you guys know what's up and if I get it in time I will give you guys my initial thoughts on how it rides etc.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
The Cool Bean is the shit. My buddy got it last season when only the 144 was available. A bunch of us tried it and it changed our whole perception of board shaping, and sent us down an expensive wormhole this season trying tons of other shapes. After all that, it still remains one of our favorites, so we've added a 138 and 150 to the collective quiver that better fit their owners' sizes. That said, the 144 impressed all of us, with weights ranging from 135-220lb. It rails carves on groomers and is super stable at high speed. Impressive float with the extreme setback and giant nose, and plows through chunder. The short tail does mean you have to be careful on landings and it has a stiff flex so it's not really a slush slasher. It's not the best board for trees, although like any board with a non-existent tail you can kick the tail around pretty easily. I also wouldn't take it on anything steep/techy, but that holds true for 95% of the short fats I've tried this season. Overall if you can only buy or try 1 short fat, this is a solid option and can be ridden everyday, not just pristine pow days.
redlude97 likes this.

18 Snoplanks Asym Fish . 18 Arbor Terrapin . 17 NS Maverix . 17 NS Twenty Five . 16 NS Swift - 14 TJ Brand Retro Fish
18 Rome Katana . 17 Burton Malavita Wing . 16 Burton Genesis X
16 Flow Talon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode