buying my first new girls board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sennie

Default buying my first new girls board

I'm 5'3", 120 lbs, size 8 (womens boots), 2nd full season of boarding this year...ride mostly free ride, but have tried hitting a few park features (hope to progress).

I've been researching and have got a bit overwhelmed. Looking for some advice on a good board. I've been using a mens Morrow (used). I used it last season and the first 1/2 of this season. I finally have some money and looking to upgrade.

After all my research, I'm looking at Arbor, Ride, Flow, Neversummer, GNU and Rome. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Sennie; 01-25-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: forgot Ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you aren't doing the majority of your riding in the park then I'd choose a good all mountain/free-ride board.

Just about everyone makes a decent free-ride board. Are there any specs that you're partial to? Flex? weight? etc
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
If you aren't doing the majority of your riding in the park then I'd choose a good all mountain/free-ride board.

Just about everyone makes a decent free-ride board. Are there any specs that you're partial to? Flex? weight? etc
Since I've only had this one board, all I know is it is too stiff. However, I have no idea the flex of the board I'm on. I know I want something more flexible.

I think I'm going to check my local shop and see if I can demo any.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Mayor

I would demo if you can and see how they feel.....ride some friends boards too it will give you and idea how other boards ride.....there are sooo many options these days it is a bit overwhelming......where and what kinds of things you ride will make a big difference....example: East coast riders usually ride smaller boards than mid-west riders....trees, deep, park...all factor in as well.....I ride a 156 and I am 135lbs 5'6'' it's a Never Summer and super stiff....I need that to bust through crazy terrain and stay up in the deep stuff.......but I also have small 151 k2 for spring and groomie days....
Old 01-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Sennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT View Post
I would demo if you can and see how they feel.....ride some friends boards too it will give you and idea how other boards ride.....there are sooo many options these days it is a bit overwhelming......where and what kinds of things you ride will make a big difference....example: East coast riders usually ride smaller boards than mid-west riders....trees, deep, park...all factor in as well.....I ride a 156 and I am 135lbs 5'6'' it's a Never Summer and super stiff....I need that to bust through crazy terrain and stay up in the deep stuff.......but I also have small 151 k2 for spring and groomie days....
Thanks! I'm going to my local shop this afternoon. I'll see if they have anything I can demo. I wish I had more friends that rode. I have 1 girl friend that rides, but her board is older than mine LOL! I mostly go with guys. I'm only riding on the East coast. It's a smaller mountain...no powder...not crazy terrain...
Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennie View Post
Thanks! I'm going to my local shop this afternoon. I'll see if they have anything I can demo. I wish I had more friends that rode. I have 1 girl friend that rides, but her board is older than mine LOL! I mostly go with guys. I'm only riding on the East coast. It's a smaller mountain...no powder...not crazy terrain...

Keep in mind the more flex you have the more you will be tossed around in chop.....it wouldn't hurt to try out some of the guys boards it will still give you an idea.....
Old 01-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Also, ask them if they'd be willing to "guarantee" performance. If they don't do demos, they might be willing to do that. My local shop can't do demos (Midwest... God damn), but if you don't damage the board and don't like it after a day or so out you can return it for store credit.
Not exactly demoing... but a good second I suppose.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

ride compact or the canvas..i think more the compact since you're skinny. the compact is nice medium flex but prob feel stiff for you. the horrorscope, k2 female boards...anything around 4 in flex, no more than 5.

Last edited by SnowBrdScotty; 01-26-2010 at 03:00 AM.
SnowBrdScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Since I've only had this one board, all I know is it is too stiff. However, I have no idea the flex of the board I'm on. I know I want something more flexible.

I think I'm going to check my local shop and see if I can demo any.

Thanks!
What is the current length/Model of your Morrow board? What exactly makes you say it's too stiff? Are you having difficulties?
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sennie

Phile00 - Morrow Radium 149...I don't really have difficulty on it so much...just tough to land...doesn't seem to give too much

SnowBrdScotty - I went with the Ride Compact and LOVE it!!!

I appreciate all the help! Thanks so much. I got a Ride Compact and love it. My first ride down the mountain on it, it felt like I was cheating. I had NO idea what a difference a board can make. It was amazing. I do find that I can get tossed a little in choppy conditions...but it had just snowed and the run was about to be groomed...so it went ice to ball of powder to ice... THANKS AGAIN!