Good buttery wide board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 67
Default Good buttery wide board?

So I'm looking to buy a park/butter board. The board I have right now is a Capita Black Death Inc. I love that board, but it's so hard to get it to flex. I'm starting to get into freestyle, small kickers and some boxes, but no rails yet. I'm also trying to learn how to manual, so I can progress to buttering. But my current board is too stiff at the tail, which is making it hard to learn. So I'm trying to get myself a park/butter board, with some good soft flex to it. It has to be wide, since I wear a size 12 boot. I'm looking to get a 156W, and here are my choices so far:

1.Lib Tech Skate Banana
2.Capita Stairmaster
3.Gnu Park Pickle


I was also looking at the Ride Kink and the Forum Youngblood, but the stance width only goes up to 22". I need something at least a 24" stance.

I'm open to some suggestions, especially from other bigfooted riders. But I'll take any info I can get. Thanks.
xelxguapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
skatebanana101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 195
Default

I have a 156 Wide skate banana (as i guess you probably could tell :P) and i love it! Soft at the center, so it's great for buttering, but stiffer (not too stiff though, but a bit stiffer than the center. I really dont have trouble doing manuals or buttering with it because it's soft enough in the middle to flex) at the nose and tail for great powder runs. I really love it and it's a great swiss army knife board to have in your collection!
__________________
BA-NA-NA. Say it again now BA-NA-NA
skatebanana101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
twin89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 842
Default

capita horrorscope 155 wide. same as the stairmaster pretty much, but has FK to make learning park much more pleasent
__________________
Too Fast!
twin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
skatebanana101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 195
Default

^ that's a good choice as well
__________________
BA-NA-NA. Say it again now BA-NA-NA
skatebanana101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin89 View Post
capita horrorscope 155 wide. same as the stairmaster pretty much, but has FK to make learning park much more pleasent
This is your solution

I have a Black Death and a Horrorscope and they fill any riding I would ever need to do besides split boarding.
__________________
"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatebanana101 View Post
I have a 156 Wide skate banana (as i guess you probably could tell :P) and i love it! Soft at the center, so it's great for buttering, but stiffer (not too stiff though, but a bit stiffer than the center. I really dont have trouble doing manuals or buttering with it because it's soft enough in the middle to flex) at the nose and tail for great powder runs. I really love it and it's a great swiss army knife board to have in your collection!
Thanks for the tip. But not to get too personal, how tall and heavy are you?


Quote:
Originally Posted by twin89 View Post
capita horrorscope 155 wide. same as the stairmaster pretty much, but has FK to make learning park much more pleasent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
This is your solution

I have a Black Death and a Horrorscope and they fill any riding I would ever need to do besides split boarding.
Thanks, I'll definitely add that to the list.


Also, I'm 6'1" and 245lbs. The reason why I'm going with a 156W, other than riding style(freestyle), was because a guy at a shop told me "Why would you buy another board the same exact size as your current board?". I can ride my Capita BDI 159W with no problems, even at high speeds. Is 156W or 155W pushing it? Or since it's just a park/butter board, I'll be fine?
xelxguapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,954
Default

Oh dam man, no your way to heavy for a noodle of that size.... Scratch the Horrorscope off.

Your gonna need something closer to a 160 with your weight I would say..

I weigh 175-200ish, depending and I ride a 155w and it's about perfect for me. I don't think it would have enough balls to pop you.

I'm really surprised the Black Death isn't good for you considering your weight....

Hrmmm....

I mean I guess you could do it but I don't think any wide boards in the Capita lineup will work for you as a playful stick.




Thing you gotta think about with a park oriented board is they're a lot softer then your stiffer all mountain/freestyle boards. Your weight will crumple them up basically, unless you can get a longer one. I'm really surprised that the Black Death was too stiff for you.... Maybe a 156w Black Death would work... But nothing else in the Capita lineup will hold your weight imo.
__________________
"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
Oh dam man, no your way to heavy for a noodle of that size.... Scratch the Horrorscope off.

Your gonna need something closer to a 160 with your weight I would say..

I weigh 175-200ish, depending and I ride a 155w and it's about perfect for me. I don't think it would have enough balls to pop you.

I'm really surprised the Black Death isn't good for you considering your weight....

Hrmmm....

I mean I guess you could do it but I don't think any wide boards in the Capita lineup will work for you as a playful stick.




Thing you gotta think about with a park oriented board is they're a lot softer then your stiffer all mountain/freestyle boards. Your weight will crumple them up basically, unless you can get a longer one. I'm really surprised that the Black Death was too stiff for you.... Maybe a 156w Black Death would work... But nothing else in the Capita lineup will hold your weight imo.


Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I thought even though the tail is really stiff, that when I shift my weight back, it should be able to get the board to butter pretty good. But when I shift my weight, the nose only gets 2-3 inches off the ground. I also thought, considering my weight, that I would be able to learn how to ollie easily. But the stiffness is making it hard to get the timing down. The couple of times that I got a really good ollie with height, I had to use a lot of force and weight shift. I have no problems with the nose, just gotta get over the fear/paranoia of buttering and doing a nollie downhill.
Maybe I should just go rent a 156W twin deck(no matter what board), and try it out? Just to get the feel maybe?

It just feels weird that my park/butter board is going to be bigger than my BDI.

And another thing that the guy at the shop said to me was, "The way you describe on how you ride you're board, it's the perfect size for you." He works at a pretty reputable shop(sierrasnowboard.com), so I just took his word for it.


On a side note, I'm gonna try to drop back down to 220lbs. before next season.(Let's see how that works out. )
xelxguapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
PeterG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 160
Default

I would say your best bet would be renting one that size and seeing how it feels. Nothing worse that spending all that money and finding out you cant ride the board.
__________________
"It must suck to be a tomato instead of lettuce."

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
PeterG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,954
Default

How many days are on your Black Death? I know mine has been softening up slightly...

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I think you just need to learn how to flex your Black Death.... It's not a plan, and with your weight you should be able to dominate it. I can get a press out of mine a few inches high, and I can ollie it a little bit and I'm way lighter then you are... Right now I'm about 190..

Is there any way you could widen your stance? That will obviously put less on either end of the board to resist you.
__________________
"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums