gday blokes! lib/gnu vs ns? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 02:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
buller_scott

Default gday blokes! lib/gnu vs ns?

hi there guys! im new to this forum- my name is scott, and im from melbourne australia.

i currently own a 2007 option dufficy, which has held up well but, well, im going to japan for holiday and its time for a new board.

i am really interested in a rocker-camber board as the design sounds very convincing from an end-users point of view, so i've narrowed it down to three decks:

1. gnu riders choice
2. lib skate banana
3. neversummer evo-r

the gnu and lib are available for sale at my local store- they get EVERYTHING warrantied as they are the biggest store here (by far), and they are on sale right now. the neversummer will have to be shipped in from the states, by which time, it will be a similar price.

therefore, price isnt a factor as its really too close to call.

im really interested to know if you guys have heard of mervin boards just folding/ snapping under heavier rider weight? i know they've been players for a long time, but i've never heard anything good OR bad about their durability.

im a fat ex rugby player [6'1''] and i weigh 265 lbs. i would say that my skill is intermediate, with a view to increase my park skills. once upon a time i used to ride 50-120 days a season, 4 seasons in a row, so im not a newb.

now, as far as i can see:

neversummer evo: pros = awesome construction, durable, everything ive ever heard about them since i first heard their name in 1996. cons= non-existent warranty for me (will not ship to another continent for warranty), the size avail on dogfunk is a couple cm's longer than i'd ideally want (and they dont have the revolver, which is what i would have wanted as i like wider boards)

mervin boards: pros= they've got all the sizes in store, the shop has huge buying power in australia and i know they warranty non-warranty problems like snapping etc. cons= seem quite light, wondering if they are durable, or if their tech is focussed mostly on getting board weight down.

so whaddya guys think? i really would like to simply go down to the shop and pick up a skate banana 159w or a riders choice of similar spec, but im really, really stuck as i dont want to be in japan, riding 8-10 hours a day in both pow and park, and have my new board simply snap on me and leaving me to use my old one as a back up. i want a board that will be able to take the punishment for atleast 30-40 days.

you guys reckon that the mervins are OK for taking hard landings (heavy rider on 30-40ft kickers, as well as pillow drops)?

any feedback wins you a hug.

cheers guys,

scott

p.s. the reason for my apprehension with the SB, for example, is because the 159w is still only rated to 120lbs +, which is VERY light when compared to a similar sized board from other companies.

Last edited by buller_scott; 01-26-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 03:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

neversummers are built like tanks, so I would take one any day over a lib/gnu if durability is your biggest concern. Lib/GNU's nonfully wrapped tips and tails are much more susceptible to damage and delams. My GNU RC showed more wear/tear in a season of riding than any of my other boards with similar use, which was somewhat disappointing. I would consider an SL-R for your weight instead though, the EVO is probably going to be pretty noodley for you
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Board choices

I like both brands. I'd give the edge to Lib Tech on ice and NS in powder. I'm not a park guy...I'll let others talk about that.

I live in Japan. I ride a NS Summit in powder and the Lib Tech when it's mixed or icy. Both work in all conditions - those are just strong points.

The NS is better built than most and may last longer...but both will meet your criteria for duration.
bryantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I had more fun on my lib trs btx than the ns sl-r. But the lib trs didn't even last a full season, the metal edges started coming off. Lib makes some fun boards but they seem to have huge durability issues.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Boards

I bought my Travis Rice model about 3 seasons ago...used. I'm still riding it. It's kissed beaucoup trees, etc and still holding up. I do think my NS is better built but I like them both...and I'm a big boy...running about 220 - 230 pounds.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
buller_scott

hey guys thanks loads for your replies!!!

i ended up getting the last neversummer evo-r 161 off dogfunk this morning, ozzie time. both the mervin and ns boards looked like awesome fun, but at the end of the day, there seemed to be too much GOOD literature on this site about the advantages of BOTH mervin and neversummer, it was too close to call.

also, i was mistaken in thinking that the upper end mervin boards at my store were on sale- only a few models were on sale. the gnu riders choice, for example, is still selling for $1050, so the ns came in $300-400 cheaper after shipping.

thanks for the help, guys! this is easily the best snowboard forum i've come across. huge wealth of experience and knowledge.

i cant wait! japan powder in 14 days!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Japan powder

Where in Japan are you going?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

i was going to say backcountry still had a 161 revolver and they ship to australia with their service very good from my recent experince getting a SL-R sent over.

Enjoy the Jpow, cant wait for my trip there next week!!!
RaID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
buller_scott

hey guys how are things?

yeah got the board from backcountry/dogfunk- should be here in 3-5 days with the express shipping. its gonna be siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!!! cant wait to load up my new flow nxt-at's which i got in a separate order (cant have any orders over $1000aud otherwise stuff gets held up in customs for a month, and im going in a fortnight).

as for where im going- im going to niseko for a week (cant wait to wake up early, ride all day, have a nap, then ride until 9pm), and then rusutsu for a week- neither of which i've been to, even though i lived in sapporo for almost 3 years. i was a teine highlands local (which basically = some pow, sure, but pretty much lapping the park all day).

after more than a decade riding on and off, its gonna be really interesting to see what the rocker camber feels like.

cheers guys

scott
Old 01-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default g'day

Tear it up!