Need Help Picking Out a Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
dualxhst

Default Need Help Picking Out a Board

Ok, so ive gone boarding 3 times in the last 3 weeks. Each time ive spent all day on the hill. Ive been renting from the resort that ive been going to. I think its time to buy one. Ive picked it up pretty good, IMO, so far. I need to know what to look for. I dont want to buy a begineer board b/c i plan on continuing to go through out the season and dont want to out grow it, ability wise, to quick. I went to the local ski shop yest and the salesman agreed with me. He showed me a Rome Flag from 08 that they still have, selling for $380. Id prob go with the Burton Custom Bindings, $150...still not sure on the boots.

I went to the Rome site and liked what there description of the board is, as far as what its for....all around free riding is what I got from the decription. Im am 6'4" 200lbs....and wear a 13/14 boot. So I know that I need a wide board with some spring to it. The salesman said it would work good. Now ive worked in retail...."Tell the buyer what they want to here"

What are some of your opinions? Figured Id try to get some other voices in on it before I go and write a check for $700 plus bux....

Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
vlc92189

you can buy the board, but if i were you, i would check out websites such as Brociety.com: Nitro Barrage TLS Snowboard Boot - Women's - $64.99 - 62% off and Dogfunk.com: Snowboarding Clothing and Gear from Burton, Volcom, DC Shoe Co., RVCA, Nixon, Oakley, Vans, Reef, DAKINE, and Forum and check out the boards on there. 380 isnt bad for a board but with websites liek these you get steals! and they have very good customer service so they could help you pick a board out. hope this helps. and the board size depends onw hat you want to ride, all mountain boards are little longer then freestylin boards. im 5'8 145 and ride a 154, which is long, but i like it. those websites have sizing guides as well.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I highly reccomend checking out brociety.com and dogfunk.com. You can save your self a lot of money. Like the poster above me said size based on what you want to ride as well as preference. Hes 5'8" 145 and rides a 154 and im 5'9" 160 and ride a 147. Im guessing he is more into freeriding/all mountain compared to me who spends 90% of my time in the park.

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
PeterG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
vlc92189

exactly, so for what your style of riding is since your still a beginner and all i would get a all moutain/freestyle board.. they have boards that have a little bit of flex enough for both and so on. 154 is long for me now, as i am looking to get into the 140's but i havent been in the park yet as much, but more and more i go, the more i will. im mostly a all moutain rider thats starting to do some park. so 154 is fine for now.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Another thing just starting out you may want to look for is a rockered board. Im still in awe how much of a difference it makes.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

with that price you can get my 2010 ride dh board. save you $ and it suits you fine
Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
dualxhst

Thanks for the links Vic, ill def check them out
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
Another thing just starting out you may want to look for is a rockered board. Im still in awe how much of a difference it makes.
So whats a rockered board?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualxhst View Post
Thanks for the links Vic, ill def check them out

So whats a rockered board?
You have rockered and cambered. A cambered board is shaped like a frown while a rockered is a smile. With a rockered board it helps keep the contact points up to you wont catch your edge. It also seems to make pressing and flexing the board much easier.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Support Your Local Shop!!! Dont Be An Asshole>
Old 01-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
dualxhst

Quote:
Originally Posted by zk0ot View Post
Support Your Local Shop!!! Dont Be An Asshole>
Well thats a nice way to put it. YOu must work at one, or own one.