Setting up my 10yr old - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Setting up my 10yr old

I'm looking for a bit of advice from you guys. My 10yr old stepson is dying to ride with Dad. Money was pretty tight up until recently so I myself couldn't even get out more than once so far But anyways, it looks like we'll be able to get out a couple times this year and more than likely about once a week next season with a several day trip to Breck if all goes well. Rather than just letting him rent the pos stuff they have at our local place the wife and I decided it'd be better in the long run for learning and costs to just get him the stuff he needs. I haven't done any shopping or looking around yet. He's 65lbs currently and about 4'5" or so. I THINK a 115cm board should be a good start but I don't know if I should go shorter so it's easier on him or not? Can anyone recommend some brands to look for/stay away from? I obviously don't want to blow 300 on a deck for him to learn on but I don't want to get stuck with a crap setup.

Thanks for any and all help guys!
Jameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Burton Method w/ SLX Boots, I'll leave the bindings to you.

But seriously...

I would look from Lib, NS, Burton, and K2 to check out their youth boards. They all have some pretty good options if I remember correctly and it won't make too much of a difference if you break the bank or not because he isn't exactly old enough to be needing the latest tech. Go check out ebay and craigslist for something cheap or on sale.

The only one I have experience with is the Custom V-Rocker smalls since my brother got it this year. He does great on it and it was only like $200.
SchultzLS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Go with a Burton Chopper, the easy rider base is very easy to learn on, they are about $160. Make sure you get this year or last year, prior years don't have the easy rider. Alternatively, you could go with a Never Summer Evo Grom, it is reverse camber, so easy to learn on as well, and still a sum $200 deck. Talk to VMan on this site.

Both my kids learned on the Burton (chopper for boys, chicklet for girls), my son is 10 and getting an Evo Grom in a 120.

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd defs try craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums or Kijiji - Post & Search Free Local Classified Ads.

At 10 yrs old he'll grow out of it so fast it won't even be worth the buy if you get it brand new. Unless you're loaded.

you can get away with 150$ setups on those sites, good ones too. Just hunt for that best deal!!

Last edited by fredericp64; 01-26-2010 at 03:18 PM.
fredericp64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ebay is a good source for kids stuff as well.
Psi-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi-Man View Post
Ebay is a good source for kids stuff as well.
true. i got my lil 10 year old bro-in-law a brand new tech9 kids board 111cm for well under $100 on ebay. then got him flow bindings at sierra's end of season sale, and last years left over burton boots at the local shop. all brand new gear and the grand total was prolly around 150-160 for everything.

shop around and be patient. you'll find the deals.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

As local shops about trade in programs. The shop by my house gives 50% trade in value when you trade up to bigger sizes on kids stuff within 2 years.

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ebay.
I got a burton chopper ( semi-destroyed) for 9$. setup for both kids at 30$ total, boards and bindings....let them go trough a season to see if they really like it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
As local shops about trade in programs. The shop by my house gives 50% trade in value when you trade up to bigger sizes on kids stuff within 2 years.
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the great advice guys I looked on ebay and there really are some cheap used boards/bindings on there lol. He doesn't need anything fancy that's for sure! It's just going to get all chewed up at first anyways eh. I talked my wife into letting me try to get my daughter on a board next year also lol She'll be 3 by the end of Nov! She's got amazing balance already and is a little monkey so I think it may just work out
Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Manged to arrange a deal through my local craigslist. Board and bindings for 45 bucks It's an airwalk galaxy (never heard of it). Doesn't seem to beat up to bad either, just needs a new strap for one of the bindings. Thanks again for the advice guys. If he likes boarding as much as I do (I can only hope), I can probably look at getting him something better at an end of season sale next year then do the trade in trade up thing Zee mentioned if possible.

Tried looking for a 90cm board for the toddler but couldn't find anything used. Perhaps by next Dec. something will show up!