Similair Salomon or Atomoic Board to a Rossignol Accellerator - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jim

Default Similair Salomon or Atomoic Board to a Rossignol Accellerator

Hello, first off I'm a newbie, so sorry if I am asking dumb questions.

I went up to Hemlock to go snowboarding and my rental board was a Rossignol Accelerator l IRT I believe. I am looking to buy a board, either from Salomon or Atomic that will be similar to use since it seemed like an easy board to get started on. I think I want a true-twin, but I really don't know much about snowboards... Of course that board isn't listed on Rossignols website so I can't go there to get information on it. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

Edit:
Weight ~ 150lbs-160lbs
Boot size ~ 10
Riding style (do you like to charge steeps? Spin 7's/9's, ride groomers?) not sure
Age (are you still growing and puttin on weight?) 25
budget (if you have one) I can get a deal on atomic or salomon
Your location of riding - bc

Height ~ 5'10 - 5'11

Last edited by Jim; 01-27-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

atomic hatchet

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jim

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm still reading up on the buying a snowboard guide... The ones I'm looking at I think so far are the Atomic Hatchet (as you suggested), the Atomic Alibi, or the Drift from Salomon.... I don't remember what size my rental board was but it seemed good... I'll finish reading up this guide... Salomon has a much better website to get the information about the boards and compare then Atomic.

If it turns out the best choice for me is a different brand then I'll go that route, I'm only looking at the 2 brands I mentioned because I can get a deal on them.

Edit:
As it is right now, I think I'm looking at either the Atomic Alibi or the Salomon Drifter. Leaning towards the Salomon.

I don't know too much what kind of riding I want to do. I have been snowboard in the past I am guessing 8+ years ago, but not very often then and I never did anything other then stick to the runs I think. I will be going on some groomed runs, hopefully powder, and maybe try some park riding?

When I was up with the rental I was going both regular and goofy, and I think I could probably handle that so that's why I was thinking the twin would be good so I could practice riding switch... I would like to try out some smaller jumps too.

Last edited by Jim; 01-27-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Jim,

Just a suggestion but perhaps a Salomon Grip? It's one I've been eying myself, the only drawback being it doesn't handle ice very well apparently. Other than that it seems like a decent all mountain board that'll be really fun to ride! Maybe you can find a deal on other boards, if so I've got a couple other ideas for you. Others that come to mind are the NeverSummer Evo-R ( lots of hype on this board and I've only heard good things about it) and the Ride Machete.

The Angry Snowboarder's Grip Review
The Angry Snowboarder's Machete Review
NeverSummer Evo-R details
Jameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Augie09

If you want an lower priced fun board for groomers and park, check out the Atomic Pivot too. It's the only atomic i've ridden, and it was a blast.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jim

Thanks for the replies.

@Jameus, thanks. So the grip would do well but not as well on groomed runs? I don't know the importance of flex, the Drift has a flex of 2 and the Grip is 3... Other then that I guess the main difference between them is the Grip has a popster core, not too sure how that would affect me as a noobie... I'll check out the others you mentioned too thanks.

@Augie, looking on Atomics site, the Alibi seems to be more capable in powder + groomer then the Pivot, if I'm reading the thing right... I want the higher numbers in that graph right, is that the boards capabilities, or is that the riders level of skill?

The Alibi is
85 rail / street
95 powder
85 groomer
95 park

The Pivot is
95 rail / street
75 powder
75 groomer
100 park

Going off that, if those numbers indicate the boards ride capabilities rather then rider expertise required, I'm going to lean to the Alibi over the Pivot.

The Hatchet looks good too,
85 rail / street
85 powder
95 groomer
95 park

But I've read the Hatchet doesn't do as well in the powder in a review I was reading. On here Atomic Alibi 2010 Snowboard Review the Alibi gets good reviews.

Edit: According to a review on here http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorge.../SAL1464M.html the Drift doesn't hold up very well... Hmmm. It also was a top 10 under $399 on Transworld Snowboarding Good Wood.

Edit:
Ok unfortunately, rather then narrowing my list, I've expanded it... But it could be good...
Considerations.

Atomic: Alibi, Hatchet
Salomon: Ace, Drift, Pulse, Special 2

Not sure about the Special 2, I can't really find any reviews on it. The Ace looks good and is actually in the All mountain class on Salomons website unlike the Drift, which I am still considering too.

Last edited by Jim; 01-28-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jim

Ok, rather then start a new topic I figured I would just continue on in here...

So about the Atomic/Salomon thing, they're out of stock where I can get a deal until next season, which now opens me up to a whole lot of other possible board choices...

I do like the Atomic Alibi and the Salomon Drift and Ace though...

I'm going to go locally and try to try on as many boots as possible... I really like the BOA lacing systems, but I guess regular laces would probably be fine too. Not a big fan of the other system with the pull string type setup...

When I went up the other day and had the rental equipment, my brother asked if I was regular or goofy... He's goofy. I said I thought I was regular. Since I hadn't been snowboarding in about 8 + years and hadn't done much back then, I basically forgot it all, so I wasn't good at turns when I started the day... I was basically going down regular and then goofy and then regular (on the first run), the second run down I got turns worked out, and I seemed to prefer regular, though it wasn't a big deal either way. But I've read some ways to tell, one is if you kick a ball, I would kick with my right leg, and another is to slide across a floor in socks, I would normally slide right leg forward, but left can work too.. This suggests to me I should be riding goofy... I was more comfortable (but not a whole lot I guess) riding regular at the mountain. I suppose it's possibly due to the stance on the board was maybe setup for regular, or do some people not care which way so much?

Also, about the suggestion for the Never Summer board, or other new style boards, is riding something with rocker or reverse camber going to be weird, or since I'm not used to camber anyways will it not matter. Is it best to start out on a regular camber board? I understand all the reverse camber and so on styles are relatively new?

I think I might want either a true or directional twin, partly because I think I would be good either regular or goofy, and want to be able to have that ability. However I want something that will be suitable for groomed runs as well. I haven't been in powder that I can recall, I think I used to stick to the groomed runs but that was so long ago I can't really remember. I do want to get into some jumps and rails / boxes as well maybe.

The Salomon Drift has an equalizer sidecut, and I've read about the different side cuts on the manufacturers websites, but is there a good place to read up on the effects of different sidecuts in reality?

I've been watching video reviews on youtube (from sierra and also the-house), they suggest an extruded base is easier to take care of and easier to repair so is that something I should also be looking for?

And then there is cap, sidewall and sandwich construction?

Theres so many choices out there, I don't know how anyone narrows it down :P

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

holy crap you're reading a lot into it
I ride a grip, this:
Quote:
the only drawback being it doesn't handle ice very well apparently
does not translate to this:
Quote:
So the grip would do well but not as well on groomed runs?
It means if it's icy as hell the board will slide out, but to be fair I haven't noticed that it's any worse than any other board I've ridden on ice. Ignore the crap about the popster core and equalizer sidecut or whatever it's called, yes, it will ollie nice and high but that's not really a concern if you're just learning is it?
It's an all mountain freestyle board i.e less flexy than park board but more flexy than all mountain boards like a custom, so it's not going to be as quick as a custom but it's not annoyingly bendy when you're cruising around.
Oh and just my personal opinion, but unless you're throwing your board on rocks or trees don't think too hard about base type either.

Aaand something else... oh yeah unless you know you want to ride park all the time, get something that'll get you around everywhere, i.e all mtn freestyle or an all mtn board.
DiscoStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

go into Sportchek and pick up a 2010 K2 Brigade 155 or Anagram 155, whichever is cheaper - should be $250 or less

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jim

DiscoStu, yeah I am, but theres so many options out there it's hard not too isn't it?

Thanks for the advice guys

I'll check out Sport Mart (the local Sport Check doesn't have a very big selection).