How small should I go on a NS SL-R? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default How small should I go on a NS SL-R?

I've been riding about 7 years now on the ice coast. Higher intermediate, lower advanced. Don't do any park.

I'm 6'2", 190 and currently on a 07/08 164 Ride Timeless. Love the board for laying down carves on the groomers, pretty good float in the powder (not that we see lots in the East) and good grip on the ice. Nice and stiff, good dampening

Problem is that I find it to be a lot of board for the bumps and glades. Particularly later in the day when my 48 year old legs are getting tired, the moguls are getting bigger, icey on the downslope and my hop turns have less and less vertical.

I wanna add a shorter and somewhat softer fun board to my quiver and I'm thinking a Never Summer SL-R in either a 158 or a 155. I've heard that you can go shorter on their RC Tech, but a 155 is 3.5 inches shorter....is that too short?
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

i'm 6' 215 lbs been riding a 163cm NS Legacy for about 5 years. Got myself a Burton X8 (regular camber) for playing in park at 157cm this year and had to sell it after riding it only twice for about 6 hrs total.

I liked it in terms of flex and pop, but noticed a lack of braking power at speed. Additionally, it was such a radically different board than my NS that I didn't feel I'd ever get used to the way it rode. Had I gotten the 160cm I'd probably still have it. But I didn't, and I don't.

Consider the 161. It's still a full inch + shorter than your Timeless. I think if you go shorter than that you'll wind up in the same boat I did.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's all relative to what you're looking for. You can go shorter if you're only planning to ride in powder. the rc tech helps with float so you don't need to go as long. however, the rc tech makes the board ride shorter because of a reduced effective edge. just comparing my own boards, my ns premier 159 rides like a 156. i still get that edge when i need it at speed, but when i'm in the trees it reacts like a much smaller board. If it was going to be your everyday board i would suggest the 161, but because you're just looking for a fun board to compliment your quiver the 158 will work just fine.

for reference I'm 5' 10" 180 lbs. and bought a 2010 Never Summer Premier F1-r in 159. i thought i would use it after fresh snow when i'm in the trees when my 163 option was too much board. to be honest, i've put 25+ days on the premier this year and haven't touched the option. best board i've ever owned. I'm looking to pick up an evo-r as it will be a lot more playful than the premier on days when i venture to the park.
Ghost_Rider_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would definitely avoid the 155 at your size. 158 or like David suggested even the 161. I think you will find the 158 is fine. I am on a 158 NS Evo-R ('09) at 183lbs and i have no problem with that in the trees and some of the steeper runs. The SL-R is stiffer and more damp and a 158 should be a nice balance of maneuverability and stability.
tekniq33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekniq33 View Post
I would definitely avoid the 155 at your size.
Thanks for the quick replies!

I kinda figured the 155 would be too small. I think I'm going to go for the 158 unless anyone posts a really good reason why I should go the 161. Figure I can always sell it and up size as the 158 is a popular size. Unfortunately, NS doesn't demo in Eastern Canada.

I already feel the stiffness of my stiff 164 Timeless at the end of the day. No big deal on day one, the afternoon of day 2 always results in an edge catch or 2 in the bumps, day 3 starts to lead to some serious counter-rotation to get it come around, I just get tired and can't load up the tail enough to get the pop I need. Just starts to piss me off if staying out of the bumps isn't an option.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm similar to your size (6'4", 200lb) and I've got the 161. Personally I wouldn't have gone any shorter.
kingkoajmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Go for the 161, no question.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I've been riding about 7 years now on the ice coast. Higher intermediate, lower advanced. Don't do any park.

I'm 6'2", 190 and currently on a 07/08 164 Ride Timeless. Love the board for laying down carves on the groomers, pretty good float in the powder (not that we see lots in the East) and good grip on the ice. Nice and stiff, good dampening

Problem is that I find it to be a lot of board for the bumps and glades. Particularly later in the day when my 48 year old legs are getting tired, the moguls are getting bigger, icey on the downslope and my hop turns have less and less vertical.

I wanna add a shorter and somewhat softer fun board to my quiver and I'm thinking a Never Summer SL-R in either a 158 or a 155. I've heard that you can go shorter on their RC Tech, but a 155 is 3.5 inches shorter....is that too short?

I have a 158 for sale barely used. 155 is too short for your weight.
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

I am currently 5'8" at 177 lbs and I was wondering your opinion on my current setup.
I ride a 155 NS Heritage. I love going fast and doing somewhat sharp carves. I have size 11.5 burton boots (actually 10.5 footprint) and I noticed that I have about an inch of overhang both toe and heel on this board.

I primarily ride for speed and carving on groomers, but I have been getting into jumps, spinning, and park riding. I would say my ratio as of now is still 85/15 (more freeride)

What do you think, is this board to small for me? I havn't noticed any heel or toe drag as of yet, but as I progress and improve I want to be comfortable that I won't bite it and cost me my life.

I was thinking about getting a heritageX 156 since the waist is at 260. Seems kind of silly to have the same board in almost the exact size, but I would try to sell it or just keep it for summer use at the indoor ski place and use it for learning switch, hitting jumps, and working on spins.

Any feedback or guidance is apprciated I'm thinking of calling NS and asking for an opinon and possibly see if they would take the 155 for a trade in on a different size, but I'm sure this is highly unlikely.
Asia_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

i don't think you need the Heritage-X.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote