Buying a board - These must be soo tiresome - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying a board - These must be soo tiresome

Im sure you all must be soooo sick of these "what board" threads but I have done quite a bit of research and searching through the forums but haven't found anyone in exactly the same situation as me and I thought i might just pop off a few questions.

To give to some background info on me (skip to the red bit if you dont give a fuck about the life story) ; I have skied and snowboarded a couple of times just on day trips when in France and here at home in Australia. I was at the pub with some friends and was talking about how us Australians are always saying things like "thats so Aussie" when someone does or says anything remotely colloquial such as "shell be right" or "crack a tinnie" and I was like what the fuck do Kiwis say "thats so NZ?" about next thing you know the four of us have one way tickets to NZ and are off to do a ski season... Basically none of us have really skied/snowboarded much before so we are just going to go over and have a crack at it.

Basically I need some help in buying some gear. And in the interest of stretching that student budget as far as possible so as to include as many said "tinnies" as possible I thought id ask you guys some questions!

As far as buying boots goes i'm going to go into a local retailer and try a whole heap on and buy a pair from them.

But for a board/bindings etx I'm looking to save a little coin and order from the states (somewhere that ships to OZ such as sierria snowboard

Boarding ability: Beginner but very fast learner
Shoe size: US10.5
Weight: Around 83kgs which i think is around 185 pounds i guess
As for what I want I just wanna cruise down mountain and have fun with me mates ride switch, play around etc. I have no desire to ride "park" when i progress id probably like to hit a few jumps but at the moment the idea of park doesn't appeal. One of my goals for the season is to do a heli ski at the end of it so really i guess im just looking a for an easy all round board to learn and fuck around on that im not going to grow out of and that I think looks hot.

budget is around the 300-350US plus shipping

Am looking at established brands who's image and reviews I dug such as "Rome, Ride and Capita" but am open to anything

Am more then happy to buy last seasons gear or 2nd had stuff and was also wondering, everyone always says buy off season, im not headed to NZ till May and thats obviously off season for the northern hemisphere so when is a good time to buy? March/April?

According to some of the stuff ive read such as CJU.com I'm going to want a 158cm board is this correct?

And at 10.5 am i going to need a wide board?

I was learning about the difference between rocker, camber, reverse camber? etc and was getting pretty lost as there is a lot of conflicting advice out there? Such as that rockers are easer to learn on but they are designed for park which is not what I was looking for etc What can you recommend?

Boards are confusing but binding are worse as they seem so samey to me so if your going to recomend me a board then recomend me some bindings to with it obviously this is a second budget but if you could keep them in the affordable zone what would be great!.

Boards that caught my eye were things such as the Sierrascope which ive read a lot of good reviews about but I thought I might open it up to you guys for a bit of input, have you ridden anything that you think suits my needs?

Thanks in advance!

Man am Im really pumped about this trip/working holiday

Last edited by JohnLenin; 01-29-2010 at 10:18 AM.
JohnLenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You don't need a wide board and yes, 158cm is a very good all-around size for you. With that said, don't look for beginner boards just because you are a beginner. You'll outgrow it very fast and wish you spent that money on something better.

The companies that you picked out are all great brands. Also consider K2, Flow, and yes, even Burton.

NeverSummer is another great brand, but their boards might be too advanced for you.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think starting with a Never Summer wouldn't be too advanced. I think that if you learn with it then you'll get used to it. Plus, they're long lasting
Old 01-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
You don't need a wide board and yes, 158cm is a very good all-around size for you. With that said, don't look for beginner boards just because you are a beginner. You'll outgrow it very fast and wish you spent that money on something better.

The companies that you picked out are all great brands. Also consider K2, Flow, and yes, even Burton.

NeverSummer is another great brand, but their boards might be too advanced for you.
I'll never need a wide board, but I'm curious, at what shoe size do you think someone needs a wide board? My buddy wants to get into snowboarding and he has size 14 feet. Also, just out of curiosity why do you think Never Summer are more for advanced riders?
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phile00 View Post
I'll never need a wide board, but I'm curious, at what shoe size do you think someone needs a wide board? My buddy wants to get into snowboarding and he has size 14 feet. Also, just out of curiosity why do you think Never Summer are more for advanced riders?
Size 14 will almost certainly need a wide board. I think the iffy point is usually around size 12.

NeverSummer has a new tech R.C. which may be a new feel for riders used to just Camber. I've seen them recommended to beginners often enough though... and the three year warranty would definitely be a boon if you plan on fucking around with it a lot (not that I've heard of one getting broken). The only reason I might not suggest them based on what you've said is because I don't know if you'll be able to find one for that price... If you don't mind buying from someone you might be able to, but NeverSummer usually sells out most of their boards at or near retail (which is usually higher than your budget).
If you can find one that fits your style go for it though.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

IMO setup is more important than anything, so that'll be my advice, since I'm not sure just how much you know. As far as specific gear, I'll leave that up to everyone else.

1) Boots are a matter of preference and jsut something you need to try a lot of. I'll stress that they are the most important part of your setup. When your heel is in the back of the boot, your toe should be touching the front (unlike how sneakers and shoes are normally worn). Your toe shouldn't be scrunched, but definitely touching. They should be comfortable and preferably have a heat molded liner. I'd recommend orthotic inserts to everyone, especially if you have foot problems. The insoles that come with boots are all garbage.

2) Board length is preference but as a rule of thumb you should first go by your weight. In general, the heavier you are, the longer your board should be. If you're a shorter rider with short legs and heavier set, then you need to worry a bit about stance width (longer boards have a wider base stance width), but usually it's not the case. Decent sizing guide here Sizing Guide | Snowboards Shred-O-Pedia, however you might want to go a couple cm shorter than that suggests for your weight, since a shorter board is easier to maneuver. Leo is right about the 158cm range. I cut my teeth on a 157, which is way longer than I should have ever ridden for my weight, and it made it harder to learn than normal.

3) Not sure if you have your warm gear planned out, but you should dress in 3 layers. I dress in Under Armor cold gear 3.0 for my first layer, microfleece pants and sweatshirt for my second layer, and a waterproof shell jacket and pants for my third layer. If it's really cold I have a special wetsuit like coat that I can wear instead of my sweatshirt, but i get cold easily. I personally make sure I get really good gear so I'm as warm and dry as possible. I'm pretty sure it gets cold as hell in NZ, so make sure your third layer is waterproof/windproof. Good goggles and gloves make a difference. Make sure you get goggles with lenses that are polarized to match NZ's conditions (low light, medium, bright and sunny, etc.).

4) Binding setup is important. We can recommend all the brands in the world, but if you don't know how to set them up, they're all useless. A couple tips, your bindings should be centered perfectly in between the heel and toe side of your board, and your boots should be centered perfectly on top of your bindings. As far as stance width I don't know your height, but 22-23 cm is probably acceptable. I'm only 5'6" and my stance widths range from 20.75-22 cm on my boards. As far as angle of your bindings goes, 13 degrees to 18 degrees outward on each binding is probably good for you, since you want to ride switch. Just go with what feels good.

5) As far as progression goes, start as small as you can, try to achieve the little goals first, and you'll feel great and have a lot of fun. Start out too big with anything and you may get hurt, become intimidated, and then learn at a slower rate. It also helps to hang with some riders that are above your skill level because they can teach you a lot. If you're having fun and not getting hurt, then you're doing it right.

Last edited by phile00; 01-30-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guys and yeah Phille you touched on some good points there. Particularly the one in regards to orthotics, usually i wear a large orthotic in my shoe and it makes buying shoes an absolute nightmare as i need shoes to fix my awkward inserts. I am however able to go three days with out wearing (them which I do allot since im Australian and our national shoe is the thong (flip flop)) and after the 3rd day I get a very bad back from not wearing them. When looking for boots I was not going to be looking for boots which would fit my orthotic for for two reasons the first being that when I play sport or run I dont wear them and second being that it would be much harder buying a boot and probably less comfortable, in fact with my orthotic in id never get a boot that fits with me toe touching.

After boots clothing is definitely my second priority ive been up the mountain without the right gear and its been abominable (and the people on the skit lifts tease you!). Thanks for the heads up about the sort of goggles ill need.

As far as board and bindings go I dont think it really matters too much for me, ill just an all-roundish board probably from someone like capita (mainly because i like the look of their boards and how the market them) and some well reviewed binding such as union forces. I just order them in late march when the off season sales start

Cheers for the help guys
JohnLenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLenin View Post
Thanks for the advice guys and yeah Phille you touched on some good points there. Particularly the one in regards to orthotics, usually i wear a large orthotic in my shoe and it makes buying shoes an absolute nightmare as i need shoes to fix my awkward inserts. I am however able to go three days with out wearing (them which I do allot since im Australian and our national shoe is the thong (flip flop)) and after the 3rd day I get a very bad back from not wearing them. When looking for boots I was not going to be looking for boots which would fit my orthotic for for two reasons the first being that when I play sport or run I dont wear them and second being that it would be much harder buying a boot and probably less comfortable, in fact with my orthotic in id never get a boot that fits with me toe touching.

After boots clothing is definitely my second priority ive been up the mountain without the right gear and its been abominable (and the people on the skit lifts tease you!). Thanks for the heads up about the sort of goggles ill need.

As far as board and bindings go I dont think it really matters too much for me, ill just an all-roundish board probably from someone like capita (mainly because i like the look of their boards and how the market them) and some well reviewed binding such as union forces. I just order them in late march when the off season sales start

Cheers for the help guys
You can get some orthotics that are made for your boots. Aline, shredsoles, superfeet, remind insoles, etc. Find a nice pair of comfortable, supportive boots and throw in a good insole that molds to your foot.

Can't go wrong with Union bindings, I hear a lot of good things about them. Almost bought a pair myself, until I decided to stay away from traditional strap bindings. :P
Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Though I have a bit more riding experience under my belt, I am in a similar situation. I weight the same and am looking for an all-mountain board for a similar budget. I also wear 10.5's.

In my research, I am leaning toward a rocker (or reverse camber). These sound really cool and just different than the board I have had for 12 years. I ride a 159 but am thinking about a 156-158 for my next board. I will not get a wide board. If you run a slightly angled setup, it will help minimize your toe drag. I run a forward stance (16/6) and can ride fakie without issue. I have a bad back knee and don't want to aggrivate it with a duck stance.

Anyway, I'm chiming in to offer a very small amount of info but will be listening for the valuable info from others. Good luck on your purchase.
Veccster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Though I have a bit more riding experience under my belt, I am in a similar situation. I weight the same and am looking for an all-mountain board for a similar budget. I also wear 10.5's.

In my research, I am leaning toward a rocker (or reverse camber). These sound really cool and just different than the board I have had for 12 years. I ride a 159 but am thinking about a 156-158 for my next board. I will not get a wide board. If you run a slightly angled setup, it will help minimize your toe drag. I run a forward stance (16/6) and can ride fakie without issue. I have a bad back knee and don't want to aggrivate it with a duck stance.

Anyway, I'm chiming in to offer a very small amount of info but will be listening for the valuable info from others. Good luck on your purchase.
Rocker/reverse camber/negative camber are all the same thing.

But you have a rocker, a 3 stage rocker, rocker & camber (which combines both, for good RC boards check out Never Summer), then there's a version with camber in the middle and rocker at the nose and tail (YES boards and the Rossignol Angus). Also worth mentioning is Bataleon's TBT. They still have camber, but it's an alternative base design that works really well and seems to be just about as catch free as all of the alternative camber boards.