Need help on choosing equipment... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help on choosing equipment...

Hello everyone !

I just joined today and although I'm sure you guys get this all the time I need some input from you pro snowboarders out there...

I went snowboarding for my second time yesterday, and I would like to pick up some equipment.

I have narrowed down my choices. Any input on what would be the best setup for a beginner ?

( looking at the Rossignol setup from a local retailer )

I would like to stay under $300 ( but I really like the Burton setup ).

Thanks,

Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doc1.JPG (61.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg doc2.JPG (82.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg doc3.JPG (59.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg doc4.JPG (60.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg doc5.JPG (58.3 KB, 16 views)
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

oops, just saw boarderaholic's permalink

Info :

5' 9"

195 lbs

Size 10 shoe

Age 36

athletic ( 6 hrs a week in the gym )

Budget : $300 - $400

Location of riding - Midwest ( IL, WI )

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited by NickCats; 12-13-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Got a question for you guys. I'm thinking of buying new gear, but I'm wondering if the benefits outweigh the costs ?

I started snowboarding this year and have gone about 12 times so far. I'm getting pretty good, I can do frontside and backside airs in the pipe, 50/50's on the rails, jumps are pretty decent ( no tricks yet though ), and getting pretty good at carving. I am getting better at riding switch, and I can do clockwise and counter clockwise 360 slides on the ground.

My current gear is a Burton Clash board, Burton Tribute boots, and Burton Freestyle bindings.

I went snowboarding with a buddy this weekend and he has a Burton Doom board, HOD boots, and Freestyle bindings.

Have I outgrown my equipment ? Would there be a dramatic difference with new equipment ? I'm sure feedback would improve, and hopefully a little lighter and more board flex ( my board is pretty stiff ). Is it worth it to shell out $800 - $1000 for new stuff ? What are the main benefits of more advanced ( expensive ) equipment ?

Thanks in advance...

Nick
Old 02-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I say look into cheap snowboards at SierraSnowboard.com if you're getting another board...cheap (good) boards, and I don't htink you need to shell out $800+.

I mean, if the boots are comfortable, stick with em...bindings/board I can't suggest much on, but at least stuffs going on sale now.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
livelyjay

I would say you can go on the cheap with the board and bindings, but do yourself a favor and go to the local shops and try on boots and don't skimp on them. If your feet hurt while you're boarding you're not going to stick with it and you'll have wasted your money on your setup.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
livelyjay

Just to follow up on my comment above, I have learned from experience. I bought my gear a long time ago on a closeout for around $380 (board, boots, bindings, travel bag). The boots were pretty much the last ones they had in my size that were on sale so I bought them without knowing anything about snowboarding gear. I enjoyed boaridng but my feet and lower legs would always start killing me halfway through the day. I still to this day have problems keeping warm while keeping my circulation going. Lesson learned. Now that I'm coming out of knee surgery and I'm itching to get back into boarding, I'm going to buy some quality boots that fit me extremely well.

On the flip side, my board and bindings were cheap. I think the bindings were $75 and the board was $150. They have served me well and still have plenty of life left in them.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I just realized...

You're in rochester too!
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote