Burton douchery? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton douchery?

This is basically a question, but I am a sucker for a punchy headline.

I just took delivery of a new 2010 Sierra Crew and (as I understand) they are made in Burton's factory in Austria and, lo and behold, it came in a Burton shipping bag.

Now, I've never bought a board that came in a bag (oh the glow) but on the bag I read this:
"The 3D board is part of a board and binding system cover by U.S. patent... You are licensed under the patent to use your 3D board with a Burton 3D binding or a binding from an authorized licensee. Your license under the patented system does not extend to the use of this board with any other binding."

When you go to the hill the back of the lift ticket always says something about "inherently dangerous" blah, blah, blah which is basic liability language but this seems kind of, well, douchey.

I figure this is Burton's way (and I imagine this would be Burton's explanation) of ensuring that a given binding is compatible with their insert package but I wonder if any other manufacturer has that sort of language on their decks.
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

your warranty on your Ride snowboard is void if you use non-Ride bindings on it

every company has CYA crap like this

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Alucard

Default Rome SDS

I didn't see anything like this on my Rome board. However, there's a lot of copy about how they're so revolutionary and all that so I suppose that's a different type of douchery.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

burton has been guilty of the ultimate douchery ever since Jake tried to patent "snowboarding" in the early 90s (as if he invented it)...he was trying to be able to license "snowboarding" in any form, but, fortunately for us, that didn't work out.

The 3D insert design was the next in a series of attempts to get people to use only their products. Notice how the disclaimer says nothing about warranty...it's more like intimidating lawyer speak for "use only our stuff, or we'll see you in court"

From a business standpoint, you have to give burton credit for trying just about everything in their power to make us theirs, and only theirs...but their reputation has suffered, too

Last edited by extra0; 01-31-2010 at 03:34 PM.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

That's lame. Yes, a nice attempt to increase market share but it is also exactly why I am looking at all brands EXCEPT Burton.

Unfortunately, many riders in my area still think Burton is the ONLY way to go. I'm not really into riding whats popular so f-em.
Veccster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have to say, I've never been on the bash-Burton bandwagon. When I started riding I simply couldn't afford their equipment.

Eventually I ended up on their freestyle S/I binding because I much preferred them to the K2 set up and I hated sitting on the snow.

When shopping for new gear this year I noticed their ICS system and felt about that system what I feel about Apple's minuscule changes to the physical dimensions of the iPod Nano... every time a new x comes out, not only do you have to buy the device, but all the damn accessories.

But this, as Extra points out, threatening is just too much. I may not be fully aboard the bandwagon (I don't know enough about their gear to criticize it) but my feelings about the company are now pretty much set.
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

That's why I'll never buy anything burton...they're not trying to spread the shred they're trying to monopolize it.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra0 View Post
burton has been guilty of the ultimate douchery ever since Jake tried to patent "snowboarding" in the early 90s (as if he invented it)...he was trying to be able to license "snowboarding" in any form, but, fortunately for us, that didn't work out.

The 3D insert design was the next in a series of attempts to get people to use only their products. Notice how the disclaimer says nothing about warranty...it's more like intimidating lawyer speak for "use only our stuff, or we'll see you in court"

From a business standpoint, you have to give burton credit for trying just about everything in their power to make us theirs, and only theirs...but their reputation has suffered, too
Love the misinformed garbage. I suggest you read through some of these, particularly the last one. He didn't try to patent "snowboarding". He actually bought the patent for it. I found so much garbage from people posting on forums about this move. Not that I'm surprised, just a bunch of speculation. Seems to the be the most common theme amongst haters of any type. No better than conspiracy theorists.

Jake Burton - Profile of Jake Burton - Burton Snowboards - History of Snowboarding

Burton Snowboards Inc. -- Company History

The History of Snowboarding | HouseJunkies

Jake Burton Carpenter and the Snowboard, Graphic Library Books Series, Michael O'Hearn, Book - Barnes & Noble

Snowboard History Timeline Part 3(1990's) :: Extremus info :: Екстремно приключенски портал. Форум за екстремни спортове и приключения

By the way, a prime example of a garbage post.

"Hmm so great of him to sue snowboard companies through a false name to make it look like he wasn't doing it.

Here's some more great writing about your Precious Jake."

From this forum.

Jake Burton Carpenter was his actual birth name. He took his middle name as his last name after college.

I thought the idea of Burton trying to patent "snowboarding" was interesting so I googled it. Obviously, it turned out to be a fact that was twisted by Burton haters.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Legally, they can't do shit if you use another binding. A patent covers an idea or a prototype so others cannot create and sell a copy of what someone tries to patent for their own profit. The so called license is likely in reference somewhere along the lines of relating to the warranty. If it's not then, it's laughable at their attempt to control what you use. Sorry but you can't do that.

It's your board you bought, and therefore can do whatever the hell you want with it.

Screw being normal
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaze View Post
Legally, they can't do shit if you use another binding. A patent covers an idea or a prototype so others cannot create and sell a copy of what someone tries to patent for their own profit. The so called license is likely in reference somewhere along the lines of relating to the warranty. If it's not then, it's laughable at their attempt to control what you use. Sorry but you can't do that.

It's your board you bought, and therefore can do whatever the hell you want with it.
They're not trying to stop you from using other bindings with their patent. I think the whole point of it is to void your warranty if you do. Which in a way is trying to stop you from using other bindings I guess

At any rate, they aren't the only ones doing this.