Questions on buying a board... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions on buying a board...

I need some buying advice before getting a new deck. A little background...

30yrs old
6'1"
190# naked
Intermediate skill
Price range - under $400 for the deck
Not worried about model year.

All mountain riding - I do some carving down groomed slopes but also like the winding trails with sloped sides and other obstacles to play around on. I also ride some moguls. 5-10% of my time is in the park on small rails and a small pipe.
I ride at Seven Springs in Western PA so its groomed trails with little powder (a lot of ice).

My questions...

#1) I am leaning toward a Rocker but am not sure if that is right for me. On the groomed slopes, I make quick turns - sometimes it seems I go from one edge to the next without touching the base. I also ollie a lot.

#2) I am probably 200# w/gear and ride a 159. I've had it for 12 years (riding 5-6 times / yr) and it has done me well. I would not go any longer than that and am actually leaning toward a 156. Is this too small for my style of riding.

#3) Are technine decks any good? My local shop only carries that brand and I would like to support him but... I think they are mostly jib boards, which does not fit my style. Otherwise, I would like to get a GNU - had one 15 yrs ago and loved it. Plus they are rockers and that is what I am leaning toward. Any other brand or board recommendations?

Thank you in advance. I'll respond as soon as possible as I am ready to pull the trigger on this purchase.
Veccster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
buller_scott

hey mate how are things?

i cannot offer up as much advice as many many others on here as i have typically been an option rider, and i dont know what has happened to them this season?

if you've been using a 159 these last 12 years, technology would have come very,very far and as far as i have read (i have read ALOT of literature on this subject as i have just recently had to make a decision as to what new board to buy), the rocker tech is not only very versatile, but also fun and forgiving.

if you've been riding the same board for 12 years i would say for sure give rocker a go- its the most significant design innovation in snowboard gear that i've become aware of in how many years, might as well see what all the fuss is about.

as for technine- once upon a time i was a technine binder fanboy. recently, their bindings have been reputed to look sooooooo ''ill'' but be pretty crappy quality. for that reason i wouldnt touch their boards. i cannot compromise on board quality because, like you, i am heavy (although much heavier than you).

id suggest going a stiffer freestyle deck- apparently the lib tech skate banana has been stiffened up this season? the other alternative, as many would suggest, is a never summer evo-r or an slr. i just bought an evo-r in 161.

i think you'll find alot of literature on here attesting to the quality/ rideability of both brands.

good luck!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

So, I've been sitting here for about 5 hours reading every post and website I can find on boards.

So far, here are the choices I came up with:

- Never Summer SL-R 158
- Libtech Skate Banana 159

As stated above - this is for an all-mountain board (small mountain style) - rarely see pow. I like to play on the sloped sides of trails (spins and ollies) but also like to rip down groomed slopes. I'll hit moguls when we have them. Occasional trips into the park for small jumps and short rails/boxes.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

We're about the same size and have a similar riding style, except that I don't do hit the rails and boxes. Currently, I'm on a 164 Ride TMS on the ice coast.

I'm looking at the Never Summer SL-R, in the 158-161 range. Several posters ventured the opinion that the 158 might be on the shorter size for my weight. I'm also finding it a challenge to find a board that rips up the cruiser at speed while being easier to manipulate (because of length and flex) in the bumps and the glades. Based on my reading, the NS SL-R is one of the better matches.

I wouldn't discount a reverse camber board for use on the groomers, though. I'm hearing a lot of good things about their performance in this area. Check out BurtonAvenger's reviews in the equipment section sticky. He seems to cut thru the marketing hype nicely.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
buller_scott

hey veccster in that case perhaps look into a neversummer evo-r?

i know that alot of people on here attest to the greatness of the sl-r, however as you say, you're after a good all mtn ride for playing around on a small hill.

that is PRECISELY why i went the evo-r. i would have hunted down an sl-r but for the fact that the hill that i am a member of here in australia has NO freeride terrain that would even be comparable to blue/blacks in north america, and the longest run takes around................... 12 mins INCLUDING a 3 min uphill traverse AND crowd navigation.

after a long time riding, im at the stage where i want a fun board that would be easy to progress on, and fun to muck around on all over the hill, as well as being there for me by design, when i hit the rest of the mtn.

my evo-r comes in the mail either today or tomorrow. im pumped.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buller_scott View Post
hey veccster in that case perhaps look into a neversummer evo-r?

i know that alot of people on here attest to the greatness of the sl-r, however as you say, you're after a good all mtn ride for playing around on a small hill.

that is PRECISELY why i went the evo-r. i would have hunted down an sl-r but for the fact that the hill that i am a member of here in australia has NO freeride terrain that would even be comparable to blue/blacks in north america, and the longest run takes around................... 12 mins INCLUDING a 3 min uphill traverse AND crowd navigation.

after a long time riding, im at the stage where i want a fun board that would be easy to progress on, and fun to muck around on all over the hill, as well as being there for me by design, when i hit the rest of the mtn.

my evo-r comes in the mail either today or tomorrow. im pumped.
Dude...a 12 minute slope!?!?!

At the resort I frequent, most of the runs take about 45 seconds - with a 5 minute ride back up the lift. I think the longest takes me a out 2 minutes to get down - because its a more windy green trail.

Anyway, the NS is so popular around here...I wonder if a lot of that is because they are a local company to Coloradoans? I feel like there are a lot of options I am missing out on if I only look at the NeverSummer.

What are some other highly reviewed models for all-mountain boards (or freestyle boards that can double as an all-mountain)?