choosing a new board - need some NS advice - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

Ive been looking into the revolver, cant wait to hear some reviews.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Didn't mean to harsh on your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyomak View Post
Thanks for everyone's insights. I'll go with the Revolver 159 based on the responses here, from AngrySnowboarder and from NS themselves. According to the NS folks the RC tech should give the edge I need to take steeper runs without an issue. They also mentioned that their Revolver/Evo line is stiffer/damper than the regular freestyle park board and that seems to be confirmed by b2cote.
I missed the post above. The Revolver is a great choice. I went for the Titan for some of the same reasons -- stiffness/dampness. But it's a traditional camber board. I wasn't ready to take the plunge on the "new" technolgy. Obviously, there are a lot of reasons why someone would want something other than Titan. If I could afford a higher-end quiver, I'd love to have an rc board. Headin' to Tahoe this week...maybe I'll demo one. Congrats -- enjoy your new stick!
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
tyomak

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinsnow View Post
I missed the post above. The Revolver is a great choice. I went for the Titan for some of the same reasons -- stiffness/dampness. But it's a traditional camber board. I wasn't ready to take the plunge on the "new" technolgy. Obviously, there are a lot of reasons why someone would want something other than Titan. If I could afford a higher-end quiver, I'd love to have an rc board. Headin' to Tahoe this week...maybe I'll demo one. Congrats -- enjoy your new stick!
Awesome! Have a great time in Tahoe. I need to make it out west sometime as well, but too many things to do with business, etc..

As promised I am posting my review of this board after taking it out today for the first time for a 4 hour session at a local resort in MA called Jiminy Peak. It's not huge by any means, but has a decent mix of steeper terrain. It was not windy, sunny and hard packed with little to no ice. Man made snow, no powder.

One thing that I noticed right away is the difference between the regular cambered Titan and this reverse camber Rev, in terms of how it carves. It certainly takes a little bit to get used to as others have noted. I found that when carving to my left (regular stance), I had to put slightly more pressure on my front foot than with Titan to get the carve to feel and look smooth, but the difference was miniskule. The RC tech also was quite helpful as it actually kept the board from sliding out from under me on tight turns. This surprised me as I kept feeling like I was going to sit on my butt but it kept through the turn with no problems. This was all on the steepest runs at the resort.

While not Colorado or even Stratton, you can easily pick up some serious speed, which is what I was doing. It handled the speeds very well. I actually felt like it was faster than my Titan, perhaps because it's new (I zardoz my boards before every session)? I never thought I was going to lose control and could always turn/stop without a problem.

Perhaps, and more obviously, the biggest thing I noticed is how much pop the Rev had. Perhaps all RC/rocker boards are like this, but it seemed to have just flew off kickers without any help from me. I didn't have to really do anything to get any air. That was pretty impressive.

While going down, I now know how much more damp Titan is. On the Revolver, I could feel almost every bump and piece of crud under me, and the ride in general was louder than on the Titan. This was to be expected of course as this deck is a lot softer. Perhaps this was the only real negative point throughout the day, but not a deal killer by far.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the Revolver. I believe it's described exactly as it should be on NS' website. It has a lot of pop, can handle speed very well and is very fun to ride. If I were to and do backcountry, I may opt for the Titan, although with RC, theoratically, Revolver should do quite well too. For very steep shoots, Titan is certainly the board of choice, but for all around mountain riding, glades, and park, Rev is the one.

Hope this review helps someone. Enjoy!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

glad you dig the revolver. i use an 08-09 as my all mtn stick and i love it. its my baby. got 120-ish riding days on it and its still going strong. gotta love it!
Cool_As_Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Awesome! Have a great time in Tahoe. I need to make it out west sometime as well, but too many things to do with business, etc..

As promised I am posting my review of this board after taking it out today for the first time for a 4 hour session at a local resort in MA called Jiminy Peak. It's not huge by any means, but has a decent mix of steeper terrain. It was not windy, sunny and hard packed with little to no ice. Man made snow, no powder.

One thing that I noticed right away is the difference between the regular cambered Titan and this reverse camber Rev, in terms of how it carves. It certainly takes a little bit to get used to as others have noted. I found that when carving to my left (regular stance), I had to put slightly more pressure on my front foot than with Titan to get the carve to feel and look smooth, but the difference was miniskule. The RC tech also was quite helpful as it actually kept the board from sliding out from under me on tight turns. This surprised me as I kept feeling like I was going to sit on my butt but it kept through the turn with no problems. This was all on the steepest runs at the resort.

While not Colorado or even Stratton, you can easily pick up some serious speed, which is what I was doing. It handled the speeds very well. I actually felt like it was faster than my Titan, perhaps because it's new (I zardoz my boards before every session)? I never thought I was going to lose control and could always turn/stop without a problem.

Perhaps, and more obviously, the biggest thing I noticed is how much pop the Rev had. Perhaps all RC/rocker boards are like this, but it seemed to have just flew off kickers without any help from me. I didn't have to really do anything to get any air. That was pretty impressive.

While going down, I now know how much more damp Titan is. On the Revolver, I could feel almost every bump and piece of crud under me, and the ride in general was louder than on the Titan. This was to be expected of course as this deck is a lot softer. Perhaps this was the only real negative point throughout the day, but not a deal killer by far.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the Revolver. I believe it's described exactly as it should be on NS' website. It has a lot of pop, can handle speed very well and is very fun to ride. If I were to and do backcountry, I may opt for the Titan, although with RC, theoratically, Revolver should do quite well too. For very steep shoots, Titan is certainly the board of choice, but for all around mountain riding, glades, and park, Rev is the one.

Sorry to change the subject, but how is Jiminy vs. Catamount?

I usually ride up in VT for bigger trips and locally in CT for those chill sessions but want to branch out a bit into MA.
phidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:

HA Lots of Never Summer riders at Jiminy lately. Glad you liked the Revolver. For some reason you sound familiar. Did not pick up that Titan in a new shop close to Jiminy did you? Couple of us on the forum ride up there give a holler next time you hit Jiminy.

www.facebook.com/Gillyssnowboardshop
B.Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by phidalgo View Post
Sorry to change the subject, but how is Jiminy vs. Catamount?

I usually ride up in VT for bigger trips and locally in CT for those chill sessions but want to branch out a bit into MA.
Jiminy is not a bad little resort at all. About 1200' verticle, fast up the chair and conditions have been surprisingly good for the season. Week ends are packed but still not to bad. Say the place is about 60% snowboarders to skiers most of the time if not more.

Closer to CT is Butternut Basin pretty close to same vert.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You cannot go wrong with the NS Revolver-R or Legacy-R.
Never Summer is a very stablee board, my 158 SL-R is more stable and confidence inspiring than the 165 Prior it replaced...

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
tyomak

B.Gilly,

Nah, I got both of those boards online actually. The only place around here that I could find with NS was in CT, around 2.5 to 3 hours away. I also did notice today a group of guys who had NS as well, I was pretty damn surprised. The only other time I saw an NS board was in Stratton. You don't work at Jiminy, do you? I think the guys with the NS boards (I think one was Rev and the other maybe an SL-R) were wearing the green Jiminy jackets.

Like Gilly said, Jiminy is a very good place to go during the week for a quick session. I live around 30 mins away and it can't be beat. I've never been to Catamount before so can't really compare. Today, I got to the resort at noon and left at 4. During the day, it was literally dead. I was on the lift by myself 90% of the time, and I sure as hell did not complain. Towards the 3pm hour, when the high schools get out, people started arriving, but still not many. Jiminy has some great night riding too, which is hard to come by around these parts.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
B.Gilly,

Nah, I got both of those boards online actually. The only place around here that I could find with NS was in CT, around 2.5 to 3 hours away. I also did notice today a group of guys who had NS as well, I was pretty damn surprised. The only other time I saw an NS board was in Stratton. You don't work at Jiminy, do you? I think the guys with the NS boards (I think one was Rev and the other maybe an SL-R) were wearing the green Jiminy jackets.

Like Gilly said, Jiminy is a very good place to go during the week for a quick session. I live around 30 mins away and it can't be beat. I've never been to Catamount before so can't really compare. Today, I got to the resort at noon and left at 4. During the day, it was literally dead. I was on the lift by myself 90% of the time, and I sure as hell did not complain. Towards the 3pm hour, when the high schools get out, people started arriving, but still not many. Jiminy has some great night riding too, which is hard to come by around these parts.
Okay sold a 161 titan beginning of this year to a guy that fits your stats. Have a local small shop just south of jiminy and carry NS boards so if you are in the area drop by. Right on rt7 across from crane ave.

That is mostly their instructors, Green jackets and Black Pants. Most locals ride during the week. I am usually there on Mondays but will be there Thursday cause of the snow. Look for a heritage or premier and that will be me.

Last edited by B.Gilly; 02-09-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Jiminy employees