choosing a new board - need some NS advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
tyomak

Default choosing a new board - need some NS advice

Hello everyone,

I did some searching on this forum and got some mixed feelings regarding the boards I'm looking at so why I decided to post.

I currently ride a Titan TX 161 and am 6', 185lbs, size 12 shoe. Titan is a great board and I will still ride it, but I'm looking for something a bit more flexible with better pop as well as being a bit lighter. I'm not looking to go into the park for the whole day but prefer to ride the whole mountain on black diamond steeper runs as well as some tree runs and hit jumps along the way. The new board should be able to handle higher speeds and hold an edge well. I ride as much as possible out here in VT and MA, the terrain, 90% of the time is hard packed and can be icy at times, with only a few days of powder.

The boards I'm currently looking at are:

NS Legacy-R
NS Revolver-R
k2 slayblade wide
lib dark ride wide

Length would be 158-159.

My first choice would be the Revolver-R but I read on here in a post that it may not handle speed well on choppy terrain. Could you guys comment on the above as to what board you'd recommend and why? I want to stick with NS. I'm not sure how Legacy would compare to the Titan either both stiffness/dampness and weight wise.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

the revolver-r is the evo-r except wide. by your description im assuming you dont want a park board. the legacy-r would fit very well to your riding. Its the wide version of the sl-r, and is oriented towards all mountain but can accomplish park should you ever wander in.i dont have any experiance with the slayblade or dark ride so i cant give any info toward those.
im sure someone on this forum can though
laviers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
tyomak

laviers13,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know the -R is the wide version. Legacy, according to NS' site, is very similar to Titan which I already have. Their site says that while Revolver has more flex it's still stable at high speeds. I'll have to give NS a call tomorrow and get their take on this.

Please keep the suggestions coming.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyomak View Post
laviers13,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know the -R is the wide version. Legacy, according to NS' site, is very similar to Titan which I already have. Their site says that while Revolver has more flex it's still stable at high speeds. I'll have to give NS a call tomorrow and get their take on this.

Please keep the suggestions coming.
I think the "-r" is for their rocker+camber design and has nothing to do with the board being wide or mid-wide.

That said, the Legacy-R is a wider version of the SL-R. It's a great, indestructible board. I'm sure they've changed some of the tech in this board since I bought mine 5 years ago but mine sucks for park: presses are impossible, but I think they've softened up this deck a little bit over the last few years so maybe it's better now.

Awesome on booters, but lacking in the pop & flex departments.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
I think the "-r" is for their rocker+camber design and has nothing to do with the board being wide or mid-wide.

That said, the Legacy-R is a wider version of the SL-R. It's a great, indestructible board. I'm sure they've changed some of the tech in this board since I bought mine 5 years ago but mine sucks for park: presses are impossible, but I think they've softened up this deck a little bit over the last few years so maybe it's better now.

Awesome on booters, but lacking in the pop & flex departments.
Again, I realize the tech has changed but how does your board hold up on high speed groomers?
Veccster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
tyomak

Yep, thanks for that clarification.

Legacy sounds more and more like my Titan. I think mine is an 08 and it truly is indestructible, great riding, but like I said, stiff as hell. Hopefully someone with some revolver riding experience can chime in.

I'm sure the guys at NS can give some input on how much different these boards are. I'll be sure to post the details of what they tell me here as soon as I'm able to reach them.

Thanks again for the feedback. Keep it coming.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
b2cote

I currently ride a 2010 Evo-R. Its got a lot of flex and pop and I am still able to bomb it down the hill if I so choose. It doesnt chatter like most park/freestyle boards typically would at higher speeds. I definitely recommend it so my choice in your selections would be the revolver...
Old 01-31-2010, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Legacy is nothing like the Titan. I've had both. Titan TX 161 and Legacy-R 163.

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Again, I realize the tech has changed but how does your board hold up on high speed groomers?
my bad, I thought I mentioned that...

On the legacy, I can ride faster than anyone I know, the base is really fast. I'm sure this has only gotten better on the newer models. It's nice and damp, holds up awesome at speed - I never feel unstable, washy, etc. - and I don't think I'll ever find another board with the stop-on-a-dime braking power of this one.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Rome Riff would be a great camber option. Mine is a all mountain slayer that is a blast on jumps. Can't jib it, but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for anyway.